GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have enjoyed just reading several of the threads here in the last couple of days ... what concerns me is this "make the GW comfortable" deal for tall riders. Mind you I haven't ridden a GW for any long distance ... mostly a test spin and just sitting on the bike. I did notice at first that my legs seemed cramped with the stock pegs. I am 6' 2" and 260 and after reading some of the threads ... I am concerned about "getting it right" ... after all I don't want to spend major bucks and then be constantly nickle and dimeing stuff to get comfortable. This summer I rented a Road King and rode 700 miles in a couple of days ... by the middle of the second day I could barely make 50 miles without having to stop and revive my ass and legs. (Don't worry CPR was not needed to revive my ass). So, my new found friends ... what's the fix?

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
I think the fix, is for you to go to one of the Wing rallies. Find someone of your stature and talk to them. Take a look at their fixes.

Anything else would be speculation and get you mad at us....LOL

Seriously, Looking and learning, is cheaper than buying and buying!

Bulldog

·
Chard Member
13,063 Posts
At 6'2" you're not that tall. Even your 260 lbs isn't big around the Wing crowd. :oops: If the Wing isn't built for the big boys, I wouldn't know what bike is.

If it fits, it fits. You can spend money on any bike to make it more comfortable. I haven't seen the first bike that will fit everyone. Haven't seen the first seat that fits all behinds either. LOL... I have a $900 seat on mine and it's worth every penny to me. I do 25-30,000 miles a year.

Welcome.....

·
Registered
385 Posts
I am also 6'2" and weigh even a bit more than you. I ride an 1800 Wing and love it. I changed to a Corbin seat with a back rest and probably more than half of my riding is with my feet on highway pegs.
A small price to pay to have a super manuverable bike that you can ride for 14 hours a day and still want to go dancing that evening.

Before I bought this last Wing I tried hard to like an Electra Glide Ultra. It is simply too small a bike for someone our size and the seat sucks. Lots of Wing riders like the factory seat, it isn't for me if you ride more than three hours at a time. This is my fourth Corbin so i guess they work for me.

Good luck with your decision. And Bulldog's opinion is always welcome, listen to him, he knows stuff. Lots of stuff, and some of it is even worth learning!!!!! :lol:

·
Registered
457 Posts
I had been riding HD for the last 2 years. What brought me over to a Wing was the comfort. Let me tell you - I thought I was the last person to be seen on let alsone own a Wing.

I am 6'1 and 250 lbs. This has been incredibly comfortable. But there are always cusomizations that you will make for expanded comfort. My initial extras have been Ergo II touring pegs, transformer pegs for my wife and a Wingsoft seat. I have a long lasting problem with my left leg and will give the Wingsoft a try for some additional room and cush.

AS an HD rider you know more than most that we will all modify our bikes to make the more personal and comforatble to us individually.

Good luck on your choice.

·
Registered
8,317 Posts
Bulldog is right. I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam. I put floorboards on mine with a heel-toe shifter (Kuryakyn). It does feel a bit cramped sometimes but I've still ridden quite a ways. A pad (Aqua-Air) helped by raising me up a bit lessening the angle at my knees - but the pad didn't hold up. I'm use to the stock seat now but I plan on getting the seat modded by WingSoft. I have the Kuryakyn switchblade highway pegs and I like the looks but they don't work well for me - I might try a shorter arm to allow me to stretch out more but I'm doubtful - the fairing is so wide and I think that's part of the problem.

I think I'm going to hold out until Wing Ding next year in Billings, Montana, July 4-7, 2007 (shameless plug) so I can do what Bulldog said and check out options by various venders and talk to riders and check things out before I buy anything else.

It took me months and a few different highway boards to get the right fit on my GL1200 too. When you get it right it ends up being worth the effort.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I am 6'3" 275. The only mod i added was hwy pegs. At first coming from a cruiser it felt strange and was having to strech my legs out to the hwy pegs often. The more i have ridden the less i have to do this, infact now i don't very often. May be that my legs are now adjusted to that position. I am averaging about 2000 miles a month. Riding tank to tank is no problem.

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Checking out others bikes is the best way to see what works for you and what won't...

One of the best highway peg setups is the ****'O'Pegs, they work great. If I wasn't triking out my 07 I would have gotten a set already...

Duff has a link to "getting comfortable" I'm sure he'll see this and post it, real good info there...but first hand looking and talking is the best...

I've owned 20 Harleys, Ultras included. The power and handling of the wing is lightyears ahead of HD....

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
I think manufacturer's design products around "average Joe". Anyone who is larger or smaller than what the industry or designer considered average will have to make some adjustments. Terry :D

·
Registered
272 Posts
I think a custom seat, Diamond, Russell, where they custom fit you, 900.00 range and **** o pegs would make it work for you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did read the great article on "getting comfortable" ... I just needed some reasurrance that it could be done. My wife and I have ridden the new 07 Road King ... which she didn't care for ... she caught a lot of exhaust fumes and a lot of heat near her feet. We have been talking to Wingers for a while ... I know we will have to make adjustments ... her being 4' 11" and needing to adjust her boards and me being 6'2" and a soft butt. Wish me luck ... she is out of town for the weekend ... and she may return to find a new bike in the garage ... *wink*. I'll write you and tell you if she lacerated my head when she gets home.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I'm 5'9" and under 200 pounds. Even as a "little guy" the seating position on the wing felt strange coming from a cruiser. It's not really uncomfortable, just different than you're used to. You will probably be spending a little more $$ on an aftermarket seat.... but I think you'll get the wing comfy and be glad you made the switch.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
wgooden said:
... Wish me luck ... she is out of town for the weekend ... and she may return to find a new bike in the garage ... *wink*. I'll write you and tell you if she lacerated my head when she gets home.
The most comfortable place she could be on a m/c is the pillion of a GoldWing! She has to understand that the only reason you bought the bike was for HER comfort! :wink: (Also get ABS!)

I'm the same size you are, with a 34" inseam and initially was concerned about my knees hitting the fairing, but found it wasn't a problem after all. Anyway, I say 'go for it!', you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
tvbveb said:
I think manufacturer's design products around "average Joe". Anyone who is larger or smaller than what the industry or designer considered average will have to make some adjustments.
Actually, the 1800 was built for me. The rest of you guys are on your own! :a13:

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I don't know of any motorcycle built that is instantly comfortable for everyone and every size and weight. They're built for that "average joe." That being said, I have to say that the stock Gold Wing is a great platform for personalizing and customizing the bike to fit YOU. I'm 6'2" and 220 pounds, and I had to get a custom seat--a Russell, specifically to make it comfortable. Even now my butt gets a bit sore after awhile, but, then, I can thank a back injury for that, so I'll never be totally comfortable on any motorcycle. The proof of that is that my butt only gets sore on the left side.

Modifying your bike to fit you is just part of the fun, too. It becomes sort of a perennial, ongoing project. There's always something else you want to do to it. You can alleviate the leg and knee cramping by modifying your seat and adding highway pegs or board. The Mic-O-Pegs have been receiving great reviews. You'll end up spending extra money on whatever you get--just ask anyone on this board. And your wife definitely won't get hot feet or legs on a Gold Wing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts