GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am asking for some advice from those of you who are much more familiar with the GW than I am. Last year I borrowed a GW from a friend and put 800 miles on it in one day in total comfort. To say the least, I was duly impressed. I am now at the point of purchasing a new bike and I wonder if the GW is the right bike for me?? Most of my rides are rather short, 10 - 20 miles on back country roads, with a ride of 75 miles being a long ride for me. Only on rare occasions will I travel more than 100 miles at a time. Would a GW be suitable for this or is it too big of a bike for these short rides on back country twisty roads??

Thanks for your advice.

Mark

·
Registered
357 Posts
Hi drev,
The Wing is great for all riding. Only you can determine which bike is best for you, but if you pick up a Wing be warned that the rare 100 mile ride will turn into the usual 300 - 400 mile ride.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
In my opinion, bikes without luggage are the one's that are not very good
for short trips. With the goldwing, you can make a run for gallon(s) of
milk, soda, etc.. Run down to the hardware store, or put the spare helmet
& gloves in the top trunk to go pick somebody up that needs a ride
somewhere.

Herb

·
Registered
601 Posts
Howdy and Welcome Drev

I agree with Herb.

You will definately make use of the luggage.
I have went grocery shopping on mine, several times.
I commute to work and back every day on mine. (44 miles one way.)
I actually enjoying riding it.
I have been known to be on my way home from work, which takes just under an hour, and turned it into a 3 hour trip home...

But thats all my opinion.
The best bike for You, will be the one you are comfortable on.

Good Luck on your quest of the perfect bike ... I found mine..

Oh Yeah! .. Yellow is the Fastest Goldwing... 8)

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
drev said:
I am asking for some advice from those of you who are much more familiar with the GW than I am. Last year I borrowed a GW from a friend and put 800 miles on it in one day in total comfort. To say the least, I was duly impressed. I am now at the point of purchasing a new bike and I wonder if the GW is the right bike for me?? Most of my rides are rather short, 10 - 20 miles on back country roads, with a ride of 75 miles being a long ride for me. Only on rare occasions will I travel more than 100 miles at a time. Would a GW be suitable for this or is it too big of a bike for these short rides on back country twisty roads??

Thanks for your advice.

Mark
Answering any "best" type questions is hard to say the least.

Will you be doing any TWO up riding? If not, you may want to look into a smaller bike like the Yamaha FJR1300. I have a FJR1300AE and GL1800 and I honestly prefer the FJR for single riding.

Take your time & visit as many dealers you can and don't be afraid to ask various riders you see what they think of their bikes (the ones you are interested in).

Best Regards,

Shane

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Depends on whom you're talking to. I find the Wing to be a great bike for general purpose riding. Some people find it too cumbersome for running errands around town, but I don't find that to be the case. It does everything I need a bike to do, but your mileage may vary.

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
That's a tough question, first is 20 mile ride ok on a Wing, well of course, any ride is ok...but.

So is a Sportster or a T100 Triumph or a Silverwing 600 scoot....but that's going to be a choice you'll have to make.

You could start by making list of the riding styles you like, fast twisties, laid back country roads at a slow pace, interstate travel....that may help you gravitate towards a style of bike, cruiser, sport, touring etc......

Also, who do you ride with??? or by yourself, alone, two up?

That's why they make all types of bikes, if we all rode the same there would only be one bike, thank goodness that's not the case.... :yes:

Good luck in whatever you choose..

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
drev said:
...Would a GW be suitable for this or is it too big of a bike for these short rides on back country twisty roads??

Thanks for your advice.

Mark
IMHO there would be better choices for the type of riding you plan on doing.

Keep looking...

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
When I bought my Wing I kept my HD Sportster thinking that the Wing would only be good for long distance. I soon got so comfortable riding it around town that I quickly sold the Sportster. The Wing is a GREAT everyday bike IMHO.

·
Chard Member
13,075 Posts
Welcome......

A Goldwing or a Rebel 250 will do what you need a bike to do. If you're only going to be doing 100 mile days max, I would stay away from anything over 500cc.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I'm not supposed to say this on this board,,,but here goes. I would not trade my 06 Wing for anything out there. However,,, I wanted something to ride short rides (75 miles or less),, so I bought a Heritage Softail. I think I have mentioned this before,,the Harley has taught me love and affection. If I get up at 2:30 AM to go potty,,I go into the garage and tell the Wing I love it. That being said, I also enjoy the Harley for short rides.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have owned every class of bike there is...cruisers, customs, sport bikes, and now the Wing. I have loved every bike I have owned. For me, the wing is the most complete bike though. I commute with it, go shopping with it, travel with it, you name it. It is true that it is big, but once you are rolling you don't notice the size. With practice, slow speeds are just as easy and effortless as any other bike (I did say with practice). There are a couple of scoots I would really love to own someday, but for now, I will keep my Wing and enjoy it completely.

Final choice is up to you as it is your money. Good luck.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Somedays I only put about 10 miles on my wing. But on other days I maybe put on 150 miles or more just because. Get the wing!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Need a bit more information: does your SO ride with you, do you think you will want to expand your range in the future, and what is the purpose of these engine warm-up rides you currently take. I ride mine to work, 12 miles RT, as often as possible, as well as going to the next county to get fresh veggies.

If you're just smelling roses, I'd get something smaller and cheaper...perhaps a VStar1100.

Whatever you chose, enjoy!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
If I was going to get a bike for short rides around town it would be a large dual purpose type bike. I really miss hitting the trails and running down the river bed. Their is nothing more relaxing than riding a trail through the woods and having no traffic laws to worry about. You can always add leather saddlebags and a rack on the back for cargo.

·
Registered
979 Posts
BLK04WNG said:
This is the most perfect motorcycle on the planet, go check one out.

BMW R1200 GS
The most perfect ? Acording to who? :roll:

·
Registered
25 Posts
The big question is - does the amount of use you will get out of the bike justify spending 20 grand. If your going to ride it - sure it does. If its going to set in the garage and collect dust - that up to you - after all it your money

If I did not take long trips often ( 500 + miles) I would not buy the wing - but that me - One thing for sure the bike is dependable

750valk

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Winger11,

That is what I was thinking of when I wrote my post. The Suzuki SP500 I owned had more miles off road than on. It was heavy enough and had enough power to run down the interstate but still light enough that it didn't wear you out on the trails.

G

·
Winger11 said:
BLK04WNG said:
This is the most perfect motorcycle on the planet, go check one out.

BMW R1200 GS
The most perfect ? Acording to who? :roll:
The R1200 GS is a go anywhere, do anything bike.
I watched a show ( Long way 'Round) where 2 guys rode them all the way around the world, through some of the most rugged terrain I have ever seen. They are also flawless on the pavement.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts