GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Gold Member
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Luckily my Grand Daughter was at home with her daddy when my Daughter fell victim to a motorist running a red light coming home from work. Her '05 Ford Focus lost to the Escalade. The "Airbag Deployed" lights are lit and they didn't deploy!!

Oh yeah, this could apply to a Goldwing too.

Bradford

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
I don't have the answer, to the subject question. But I do know, not all front end collisions trigger the airbag. It's all about the sensors, detecting the proper impact. There's been many front end collisions, without the airbags deploying. Hope your daughter wasn't hurt.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Did you buy car new or has it been in a wreck? I have heard of body shops not putting in airbags when rebuilding after wrecks.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Bradford, How is your daughter?? Is she okay?

Thank Gods from me in agreement that your Grandbaby wasn't in the car. Only thing important is that people are spared injury and death. Everything else is secondary.

·
Gold Member
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She's beyond sore and has been looked over with an Emergency Room Doctor's order to see her family Doc in the AM.

It was a new car and the most important concern I and others have is the fact the airbag discharged lights were lit with no deployment!

Bradford

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Techs steal the airbags and sell them to bodyshops right at the dealerships too. Big black market business.
Have somebody check to see if the bag is even in there.

Hope she comes through o.k..

·
Gold Member
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Toyo said:
Whos fault was the accident? Just curious. There is a process to the answer.
It was the fault of the middle aged Chinese lady in her '05 Caddy Escalade.

Jenny has a goose egg on her forehead from hitting the steering wheel if that says anything about the physics of the crash.

Bradford

·
Gold Member
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's a kicker.

The Greenwood, Indiana Police have determined every document, vehicle, driver and insurance indentification was false as in fabricated.

Makes one want to break out the old cellphone camera and document the participants if you are able.

Bradford

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
To answer your question, yes, I would think the car maker would be responsible for the failure of the airbag to deploy in an impact where it was designed to deploy and there was a resulting injury.

I think if someone got a bump on the head from the steering wheel / dash area and was wearing a seatbelt then the impact should have casued the airbag to deploy to protect against that.

Sounds fishy that the light came on but no bag - may be as others have mentioned, stolen during a repair, or not replaced after a previous deployment. Our it could have just been a defective bag and failed.

Let us know what you find out when you have the repair done.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Glad to hear that no one was seriously hurt. I don't understand the reason for your question. This is the USA, home of the lawyer and land of the lawsuit. Anybody is liable for anything when the attorneys get involved. The more money you have the more liable you are. But your situation certainly sounds like a justifiable reason to me.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Since this is the land of the free (lawsuit:, no win no charge is baloney!) I assume she should sue for the cost of the emergency room visit and that's all, right? Or should we "punish" Ford for not making a perfect product? (and hey, lets make another set of lawyers rich, raise the prices of all future cars and maybe get a little extra money while the getting is good!)

·
Gold Member
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jimwinger said:
Since this is the land of the free (lawsuit:, no win no charge is baloney!) I assume she should sue for the cost of the emergency room visit and that's all, right? Or should we "punish" Ford for not making a perfect product? (and hey, lets make another set of lawyers rich, raise the prices of all future cars and maybe get a little extra money while the getting is good!)
Whoa there bud, we don't make the rules, just happen to live in a society that has provisions that promote equilibrium in the marketplace where quality and safety is concerned.

We will leave playing Don Quiote to yourself and all of the other righteous indignant folks out there that want to right society's evils.

Bradford

·
Registered
42 Posts
If it is a head-on collision it definitely should have deployed if she was going over 7mph if I remember correctly. If it was not a head on as in a side impact or even if the vehicle was struck at an angle....say on the passenger front right fender I could see the front airbags not deploying....They are designed....at least the front airbags, to deploy from a frontal impact to the bumper. Having said that ...if she hit her head on the steering wheel it sounds as if it should have deployed...Glad she wasn't more seriously injured and I hope she is able to recoup her loses...

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
evilashx said:
...if she hit her head on the steering wheel it sounds as if it should have deployed...
That's the part I don't understand... How can you hit your head on the steering wheel while properly wearing your seat belt? I know many women put the shoulder strap behind their back, so perhaps that's one way to do it.

I'm not accusing anyone, just wondering.

·
Gold Member
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All Boots No Saddle said:
evilashx said:
...if she hit her head on the steering wheel it sounds as if it should have deployed...
That's the part I don't understand... How can you hit your head on the steering wheel while properly wearing your seat belt? I know many women put the shoulder strap behind their back, so perhaps that's one way to do it.

I'm not accusing anyone, just wondering.
If she's like her mother the seat back is bolt upright with the wheel a damn sight closer than I'm comfortable with. Of course my motorcycle is a couch too so enough said.

I wasn't there, I wish we all lived closer though.

Bradford

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Its called wipping of the head. Her shoulders may not have moved, but her head went forward as she stops. Thats where the airbags come into play. The SRS system is designed to deploy when it recieves enough data from the several sensors. It detects g force or decelleration, impact, speed and some other things. More than one sensor must detect a collision before it goes off. However with that being said, with the light going off, which I have never seen before, you would think it should have gone off. Read the owners manual. What does it say about that light?

I hate to say this guys, but if my wife or family were involved in an accident and were hurt, and my airbags were supposed to deploy you damn right somebody would be getting some heat.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
an 05 is not a new car...its used. Also...like has been said on here before, the sensors need to be triggered. Usually there are at least two and they both need to be triggered for front end collisions to take place. My mom was in an accident about ten years ago and she schmucked the guy from behind...he was stopped and she was going 50. The impact was on the front left part of the car. I called Ford and they said only one sensor was hit so the air bag didnt go off.

The light could mean there is an issue with the airbag system...most likely one of the sensors was destroyed so it needs to be replaced. The car does a checkup on the system everytime the ignition is turned on...now it is just pointing out that something is wrong...ie a sensor.

Im not sure how the accident took place...if a person ran a red light, it sounds like an intersection and she was hit broadside. I dont think the Focus' have side airbags. Even so...that would also depend on where the car was hit.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts