GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Garmin Zumo 450 when I wanted a GPS because the Garmin site said it would hold up to the rugged riding of a motorcycle.

I have a friend who is new to motorcycling (she rides a Triumph 2 wheeler) She wants to buy a GPS for her bike.

Is it necessary to buy a "motorcycle approved" GPS for a bike? Do you have a non-ruggedized GPS for your bike that has given you lengthy quality service?

If so, which model please.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
The short answer is no. However, the ZUMO series offers three distinct and valuable features beyond the one that you mentioned and I think all three are more important. ZUMOs are water resistant and friendly to gloved hands. They also come with considerably more durable and motorcycle friendly mounting hardware than typical GPS units.

I am not aware of other brands/models that are competitive.

I bought a Garmin Zumo 450 when I wanted a GPS because the Garmin site said it would hold up to the rugged riding of a motorcycle.

I have a friend who is new to motorcycling (she rides a Triumph 2 wheeler) She wants to buy a GPS for her bike.

Is it necessary to buy a "motorcycle approved" GPS for a bike? Do you have a non-ruggedized GPS for your bike that has given you lengthy quality service?

If so, which model please.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Although I have a zumo on its way to me, I have used a regular automotive Garmin GPS on my bikes over the past five years. If it rains I carry those elastic food container covers and some rubber bands to protect the GPS. I've never had an issue.

G

·
0 Posts
I've used a Garmin Nuvi 350 with success,BUT I had issues with the power cord losing power to the GPS and eventually running down the battery of the GPS.

This happened to my gl1800 and Suzuki Burgman 650. It occured with two different Nuvi 350's and with several different power cords.

Didn't matter whether it was a 12v cigarette plug that plugged in or one I soldered the wires to. You can tell I was trying to eliminate any source of intermittent contact.

I was told it was the vibration of the motorcycle to the Nuvi and cord that did it and a Zumo would fix that.

I never did figure it out. :?

·
Registered
737 Posts
I have used NUVI 750 for years. The screen started flaking off a month ago so I made the leap and bought a ZUMO 660. So far I think it was a good investment. I'll know more after it has gone through a few long test rides... :bow: :bow:

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
I've used a Garmin 330 (old) for years, it has no moving parts and has been excellent.

·
Canuck
2,841 Posts
bought a ZUMO 660. So far I think it was a good investment. I'll know more after it has gone through a few long test rides... :bow: :bow:
I'm no GPS expert, but I can say that after two years of using the Garmin Zumo 660, and taking many long rides, I think it is absolutely great. Waterproof, shows the posted speed of the road you are on, great for planning and sharing routes (using MapSource), MP3 that will take a 32GB card (maybe larger), Bluetooth capable, and so on and so on. In fact, just yesterday I was riding a highway in OH that came to a complete standstill due to a major accident. I hit the Detour button on the Zumo, and the GPS took me off the highway and to my destination bypassing the stopped highway (which was great because I didn't know the area at all).

Thumbs up for the 660.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Gps

I use an old Magellan Roadmate on my trike. It is water resistant, has an 8 hr. battery life, and one can now be had for CHEAP money. I believe the model is a Roadmate 2000. Not fancy and so cheap that I can leave it on the bike and not worry about theft. I have it mounted with a mount I purchased from Cycle Gadgets. Too bad they are out of business, great company. This old unit has NEVER failed to get me where I want to go. No bells and whistles, just tough reliable. Hope this helps, Dave

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
I've got a Nuvi 765T inside an Aquabox. Works great for me, get bluetooth for the phone, and cheaper than the Zumo. But if I had the bucks, would do the Zumo 660 series.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All great information for her. Ben, my first Garmin 450 supposedly water proof flooded in a really hard driving rain storm in Bastrop, TX a few years ago. (They could really use that rain now) I was in an area I had never been before and knew I did not want to ride anywhere near Austin especially in the rain. Got an old fashioned paper map and rode from Bastrop to Killeen in a steady rain. The sun broke out 7 miles from my home. Point: The Garmin Zumo did flood and Garmin replaced it free.

·
Registered
127 Posts
zumo 220

I bought the 220. I don't have a need for a lot of whiz-bang stuff on my GPS. The 220 is smaller and cheaper. And a lot less stuff to go wrong. It comes with a RAM mount set-up like the others. Definitely worth checking out.:yes1:

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
no more dedicated GPS for me..
..I use my Android phone.

Dennis

·
Registered
102 Posts
Zumo 205 ,plus zip lock bag for the rain. 30,000 miles. Works better than the built in GPS in my 2010. Any GPS you buy will work + a good map.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
The Zumo certainly should not have flooded. I'm glad the company replaced it for you without a hassle. The good news is that riding in the rain counts as a bath. <g>

All great information for her. Ben, my first Garmin 450 supposedly water proof flooded in a really hard driving rain storm in Bastrop, TX a few years ago. (They could really use that rain now) I was in an area I had never been before and knew I did not want to ride anywhere near Austin especially in the rain. Got an old fashioned paper map and rode from Bastrop to Killeen in a steady rain. The sun broke out 7 miles from my home. Point: The Garmin Zumo did flood and Garmin replaced it free.

B

·
0 Posts
"Is it necessary to buy a "motorcycle approved" GPS for a bike?"

Only if you own a "Motorcycle" and have the money. :joke: It is not necessary if you own a bike.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm hoping that a few of the tablets start coming waterproofed. That way i could flip from GPS mode to radar weather to help decide on the best route to keep me dry.
alfred

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
I run a Garmin Nuvi 1450 on my Wing. Put a sandwich bag over it when it rains!:thumbup:

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have a $120 (from Amazon) Nuvi 800 series GPS for my Road King ..... which vibrates my eyeballs to the point of everything being fuzzy at just off idle, on a el-cheapo plastic bar mount.
It hasn't given me any problems at all.
At the huge price difference between the Nuvi and Zumo, I'll use an baggie and rubber bands if I think it's gonna rain, or I guess I could get one of the waterproof covers for it.
The only thing I don't like about it is the shades for it are too flimsy and the map updates are too expensive.
It is touch screen, talks, can take voice directions for GPS and MP3 operations, and is Blue tooth compatible, etc, etc.

The exact model is the Nuvi 805.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the TOMTOM rider GPS on my VTX which I can move to the truck whenever I want to for three years now. It is bluetooth also. I haven't had a problem with it.:rain1:

·
Registered
640 Posts
I like using the good old Rand McNally Road Atlas paper map so I can see the "blue highways" and know I'm not gonna get on the Interstate unless I have to....
GPS will send you anywhere....

Rip

1 - 20 of 35 Posts