GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen a couple of the floor mounted systems.

I'm really wondering if this is necessary?

The Claw-screw clamp type bead breaker ( stop & go unit ) is portable and works with a wrench.

Then, a couple of tire bars and a good quality balancer.

I'm curious about your experiences have led you to on this.

Thanks
Dw

·
Vendor
22,089 Posts
I don't think you will be able to dismount and mount tires on a GL1800 without something like a Harbor Freight stand or better. You can just use tire irons and rim savers on many bikes, but not on the GL1800. It takes way too much force to get the bead one and off the rim due to the size and stiffness of the tire carcass.

Coats makes a real nice tire mounting bar with plastic covers that goes over it, but I have yet to find a way to purchase just the mounting bar by itself.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
DW,

Me thimsk you ought to find someone that has these and try it out first.

Radial Wing tires do not have a lot of flex and are bears to put on or take off even with good equipment.

Cheaper to let a dealer do it for you. Not as convenient, but cheaper in the long run.

Bulldog

·
Registered
17,035 Posts
I have the Harbor Freight unit and it is the minimum stand I could recommend. My tire changes have become MUCH easier the last few times. I still the use Harbor Freight el-cheap-o stand for bead breaking and for a work surface. I use their long bar with duct tape wrapped on the removal end and that zips the tires right off the rims. The improvement came on getting them back on. I purchased a set of short wide spoons with special plastic ends and the new tire is mounted slicker than oyster snot with NO damage to rims or tire, hardly any stress on me or the wheel/tire. NoMar tire tools sell them and they are too $, but I am happy to have them.

prs

·
Registered
786 Posts
Re: Is a special all-in-one tire breaking/mounting tool need

dw said:
I have seen a couple of the floor mounted systems.

I'm really wondering if this is necessary?

The Claw-screw clamp type bead breaker ( stop & go unit ) is portable and works with a wrench.

Then, a couple of tire bars and a good quality balancer.

I'm curious about your experiences have led you to on this.

Thanks
Dw
I got a email-coupon a month ago. The HF unit was on sale for $29.99 without the MC attachment (which I don't use).

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you see this online artical about the Nomar unit.

Looks like some poor workmanship on the unit.

Nylon Balance cones poor centricity.
Welded nuts for locking parts poorly welded.

Although, it looks like its got some nice pieces to it.
Hard for me to imagine how the mouting bar works with those two plastic indented fingers

http://www.gunsmoke.com/motorcycling/re ... _balancer/

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another question is .....
How do you balance the rear tire since most of the home-owner balancers require you to put a center rod throught the rim center hole.

And the rear tire doesn't have one.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I looks like the No-Mar unit for the wing is about an $900 investment.

Thats 9 years of had carrying my rims & new tires into the dealership.

Hmmmm........ money vs independance........ now I have to think about ROI :idea:

·
Registered
679 Posts
dw said:
How do you balance the rear tire since most of the home-owner balancers require you to put a center rod throught the rim center hole.

Mine has a center hole, it's covered up by a nice plastic cover close in color of the rim. I bet yours has a hole too!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hogmemberisold said:
dw said:

Mine has a center hole, it's covered up by a nice plastic cover close in color of the rim. I bet yours has a hole too!
Wow, I've had it off more than once and never notice it!!
THANKS!! :D

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I have the Coats 220 tire machine and the bar that Fred referred to. It came with about 5 of the plasic covers. It works great for removing the tire, but if used to mount the new one, it's more trouble than it's worth. I ruined two of the covers learning this.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I also have a COATS 220. That coupled with the NO-MAR long bar and the NO-MAR spoons makes for pretty easy and scratch-free tire changing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Rim Savers

Fred H.,

I just a few minutes ago finished watching your DVD on changing tires. I have already purchased the equipment you use, but where do you buy your rim savers?

I reside in Fort Worth also, and ride an '02 Pearle Orange Wing and love it.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Ron

·
Registered
836 Posts
Re: Rim Savers

but where do you buy your rim savers?

I went to the local Honda dealer and they got me some but I took them home and found out they were soft rubber and useless. I went to the local Kawisaki dealer and they had the same type Fred uses. They are very hard plastic. Call your local dealers, both knew what they were and I had them in two days.

By the way, I am taking back the soft pair I bought from Honda. Also the good ones came in a set of two, you will need a minimum of four to do the job.

DJ

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: Rim Savers

centerpunch said:
but where do you buy your rim savers?

I went to the local Kawisaki dealer and they had the same type Fred uses. They are very hard plastic. Call your local dealers, both knew what they were and I had them in two days.
VERY COOL!!

I read on online article put together on motorcycle tire changing.
This guy takes empty shampoo bottles and cuts them in half vertically.
Then uses them for plastic shims. But I like the ones centerpunch mentioned better.

So here is what I think may be the least expensive way to go.
1. HF changer unit with MC top $100
2. No-mar gold wing install paddles $100
3. probably the no-mar balancer is comparable to others out there in its price class. $100
4. Kawi plastic rim savers $??

Now..... I wonder if cold weather is going to be a problem??

·
Registered
35 Posts
centerpunch,

Thanks for the help. I just didn't know where to start looking. Whether a tire apparatus store. or an auto parts place.

I'll start looking in a coulple of days.

Ron

·
Registered
451 Posts
I use the HF tire changer. I installed a piece of rim saver on the edge of the bead breaker to protect the wheel. I squirt some of the soap solution around the bead after I first break it and the remaining portion can be pushed back just by standing on it. I also secured the bead breaker arm up with a bungee so that it doesn't flop around and bang the wheel while I am placing the wheel. I also drilled a hole in the HF changer and I run a long threaded rod through a lug hole and the changer. This prevents the wheel from slipping in the mount. For the front wheel, I have a tie -down I run around a spoke and and an arm of the changer.
To dismount the tire, I use only tire irons and rim savers to remove the outer bead. To remove the inner bead, I use the no-mar bar. To mount the new tire, I soap the rim good and the first side of the new tire can be pushed on the wheel. To mount the other side, I use the HF bar with a piece of rim saver zip tied to the bar as in Fred's DVD.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Fred,

Thanks for your help.

I enjoy reading your posts.

Ron

1 - 20 of 21 Posts