GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D
Hi guy's and gal's. my question : Is the anti dive and the left fork seal leak probally gonna happen sooner or later to my 2005 gl1800, or is this just a small amount of the bikes ?? Is it prone to any certain year's ?? thxs for your comments, Todd 8)

·
Registered
868 Posts
Can't speak for everyone but, I have over 40K on my 02 with no problem.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
I have an '01 with 38k on it. No problems (yet) with anti-dive or fork seals. I had a GL1500 and left fork seal blew out at 35k.

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
Unlless Honda has changed their selection of "O" ring materials; I would vote that is going to happen sooner or later. The seals swell and bind the system.

prs

G

·
They changed the fork O-ring in 06 and for the most part don't get paranoid about what you read on boards as its a small majority. Just helpfull if something does happen.

·
Registered
505 Posts
52,000 on my 03 and forks are still good. I did disable the anti dive several thousand miles ago however. I have progressive shocks in the front and getting ready to put an almost new rear shock in to see if I can regain that like new ride. If that doesn't work I will probably be looking at the traxxion upgrade. The S.O. keeps complaining that the ride is getting rougher. :roll: :roll:

·
Registered
21,092 Posts
antidive problems are way over rated

mine has 157,000 smiles and never an antidive problem

rite forkseal was replaced at 115,000
left forkseal was replaced at 130,000
both seals only leaked very slow and were covered by the Honda warranty

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
My 02 with 40,000 miles has not had any fork seal problems, but my anti-dive has been stuck almost since it was new. Never had the time to go to the dealer to get it fixed. (I forgot to tell them when I had the frame inspection) It has been more of a nuisance than anything else, but I am going to fix it this winter.

This is why I am not 100% convinced that the anti-dive is causing the fork seal failures. I have owned two previous Hondas and both of them blew both seals before 30,000 miles, so the 1800 is the longest I have had seals last. I think the folks with both symptoms would have had the seals fail even without the anti dive problem.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
My 02 with about 47k miles now has the AD valve disabled. A couple years ago, it was sticking sometimes, and seemed to clear up after I bled the brakes. This year, it is sticking bad, so I resorted to the ole washer-in-between-the-halves trick for now. I still have the Jerry Roebke o rings to install this winter. Brrrrrr!

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
84,000 and still no problem. :D

·
Banned
1,477 Posts
anti dive

I installed a completely new unit on my 01 wing at 84,00k's. I do not believe that it is worth the time of patching up the old part when a brand new OEM can be had for the cost in time that it takes to rebuild the "old unit". I did replace the left fork seal at the same time. Since I had it all apart a set of "Progressive Springs" went in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts