GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have one too. I ride alone, far off from home sometimes, and it's a comfort to know that family and friends can "Spot" me and see that I'm still moving. It also comes in handy on those group rides when we're a little late getting home and there's no cell phone signal to call the spouses...they can logon to the web and see how far away we are so that they know what size rolling pin to use on us when we get home :)

It works pretty good, but sometimes it does go a little more than 10 minutes before it sends it's location. Batteries last a long long time in it...I've left it on in the garage before for a whole week and it was still flashing, although it stops tracking after 24 hours and you have to turn it off and back on to get it going again.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Yes hunzee, I have one and I cannot express how BAD the company is.

I purchased one prior to my Alaska trip last May. After experiencing some problems with their route tracking service, they were supposed to cancel that portion of my contract, leaving the basic service in tact. It was very clear that the basic service was to be left on, in fact their tech person got annoyed when I asked him to repeat what they were going to do so the base service was not canceled.

You have got to know what happened, they canceled both the base and tracking services, which I discovered my second day on the road. All that money spent and it was of now more value that to throw at a satellite.

When I got home from my trip I called them up and they basically said, "tough luck but sorry, we can't take the unit back." I asked to talk to a supervisor and was told, "sorry, we can't do that, it's against company policy. A supervisor will call you back within the next two business days." I also asked for the phone number of their head office and again was told, "sorry, we can't give you that number, it's against company policy." After more than half a dozen phone calls in the past year, I'm still waiting for the call from that supervisor.

One of the members of this forum put together a purchase deal and offered to help when he heard my story. He called his sales contact and they promised to call me back. It must have gotten passed onto the same supervisor because I'm still waiting for that phone call as well.

Its really difficult resolving a problems when they won't talk to customers.

They are easily one of the worst companies I've ever dealt with.

I took my Spot down to CES with me in January, hoping they would be at the show. I had a great plan for gaining at least some satisfaction if they tried to brush me off but unfortunately if they were there, I did not find them.

It is unformtaunate because I think the theory behind the product is great -but the company behind it is dog doodoo.

Don't waste your money.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yes hunzee, I have one and I cannot express how BAD the company is.

I purchased one prior to my Alaska trip last May. After experiencing some problems with their route tracking service, they were supposed to cancel that portion of my contract, leaving the basic service in tact. It was very clear that the basic service was to be left on, in fact their tech person got annoyed when I asked him to repeat what they were going to do so the base service was not canceled.

You have got to know what happened, they canceled both the base and tracking services, which I discovered my second day on the road. All that money spent and it was of now more value that to throw at a satellite.

When I got home from my trip I called them up and they basically said, "tough luck but sorry, we can't take the unit back." I asked to talk to a supervisor and was told, "sorry, we can't do that, it's against company policy. A supervisor will call you back within the next two business days." I also asked for the phone number of their head office and again was told, "sorry, we can't give you that number, it's against company policy." After more than half a dozen phone calls in the past year, I'm still waiting for the call from that supervisor.

One of the members of this forum put together a purchase deal and offered to help when he heard my story. He called his sales contact and they promised to call me back. It must have gotten passed onto the same supervisor because I'm still waiting for that phone call as well.

Its really difficult resolving a problems when they won't talk to customers.

They are easily one of the worst companies I've ever dealt with.

I took my Spot down to CES with me in January, hoping they would be at the show. I had a great plan for gaining at least some satisfaction if they tried to brush me off but unfortunately if they were there, I did not find them.

It is unformtaunate because I think the theory behind the product is great -but the company behind it is dog doodoo.

Don't waste your money.

Gee Daddo,

Sorry to hear of your bad experience with the SPOT, but I seem to remember reading something on their website, or perhaps in another forum about them not performing as well in areas that are farther from the equator.

I'm not much of a techie, perhaps someone else on here might be able to offer more on this.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Wow! I was planning on buying one of these, But I think I'll wait until I hear more about the company. What a way to treat a customer.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yeah,

I've probably ridden over 15k miles with mine on and never had a problem either. I have friends that check the "shared" site on a regular basis and keep tabs on me. One friend in Florida is the one that alerted me that I left it turned on for that one week. He e-mailed me and said the winter weather must really have me down with the PMS, because it looked like I was riding back and forth in the driveway all day.

I've never had to contact the company, activated it online and have been happy ever since. They seem to be working to improve the product as well, the shared site was not available when I first got mine. I really think it could save my life one day.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I've been using one for almost a year. I've traveled from Hyder, Alaska to Weslaco, Texas....SoCal to Illinois. Never a problem. Even though I have the auto tracking service, (which sends a signal every 10 mins) I choose not to use it. I prefer to push the "ok" button at the top of every hour, or when I make a significant route change.

I would buy another in a heartbeat.

Sleddog

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
My wife would like me to get one of these for when I take a "vacation" ride. My DIL wants one for my son as well.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yes, I'm using one. Had it since around Xmas time and am just using it on our usual rides around here locally to test it out. Haven't had any problems to date except sometimes it doesn't send track signals as frequently as I think it should.

·
Banned
1,477 Posts
Yes,
I bought one as soon as Sleddog showed me how it works.
I too would buy another one in a heartbeat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts