GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if blue light, or blue flashing light is legal to be installed on the bike?. My wonder is mostly for the state of Texas, however I'd be nice to know for all states for interstate road trips.

·
Registered
163 Posts
By Federal DOT regulations no blue lights (especially flashing) on any motor vehicle including motorcycles, other than law enforcement. That is in all states. Here in Va they even crack down on blue headlights. They are giving Uber and Lyft drivers a ticket for the the blue Uber and Lyft signs. 80 plus court costs, first time 160 plus court costs the 2nd time and potential impound the 3rd time. Same goes for red lights on front of vehicle.

They take impersonating LEO vehicle very serious. Some may even get arrested if people move out of your way while you are driving.

I have lots of LED's on my Wing. But only red (rear) amber and ice white, which looks blue tinted from an angle but looked at straight on is white.

Reactions: Steve F

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Blue light ARE NOT LEGAL in any state in the United States, FLASHIN OR NOT....

Ronnie

·
Love The DCT
12,005 Posts
Blue light ARE NOT LEGAL in any state in the United States, FLASHIN OR NOT....

Ronnie
Have you checked every state’s regulations? I know of one state that allows blue lights on the following vehicles.

1. A blue light of up to one inch in diameter may be displayed if it is part of the motorcycles rear brake light.

2. A motor vehicle may display a blue light of up to one inch in diameter if it is:

The motor vehicle is a collector vehicle.
The motor vehicle is eligible to display a collector plate.

:doorag:

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Have you checked every state’s regulations? I know of one state that allows blue lights on the following vehicles.

1. A blue light of up to one inch in diameter may be displayed if it is part of the motorcycles rear brake light.

2. A motor vehicle may display a blue light of up to one inch in diameter if it is:

And which state is that???

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Blue lights in IL are legal and used on first responders cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
AND on top of that, you must carry in the vehicle with the blue light an official letter stating that you are allowed to have such light.... AND GET THIS... lighted OR NOT. So, if you have such a light in your possession on display, lighted or not and you don't have a letter of authorization, all bets are off.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Get stopped in FL with blue lights flashing or not you will have a bad day!

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Some states are allowing blue lights on road maintenance trucks. I work in the RV industry and there are many motorhomes and trailers that display blue lights. North Trail trailers have two forward facing blue lights. Many motorhomes and some trailers (Trail Runner)have blue ground glow lighting underneath. While these lights are meant for when parked there isn't anything preventing their use on the road.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Get stopped in FL with blue lights flashing or not you will have a bad day!
What you state goes contrary to what I have seen in the Tampa/St. Pete area.
I've spent several weeks over the last 5 winters in your area, and that's where I got the idea to light up my F6B with LED's at night.
I had seen numerous Goldwings in your area decked out in flashing Christmas light designs, and the LEO's didn't even give them a second glance.
And I've seen lots of Harley guys have their chrome engines and exhausts accentuated with LED's, most with purples and blues.
Granted, this was on Gulf Blvd through the Beaches, so maybe it's different in downtown Tampa or Ybor City.
I run 6 strings of blue LED's (not flashing) on my bike now, and never have had a problem.
My jurisdiction states that blue lights cannot be forward facing or flashing.
Mine are side and down facing, so I'm a law abiding citizen.
I've ridden my bike in some Northern states, and have also never had a problem at night.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
What you state goes contrary to what I have seen in the Tampa/St. Pete area.
I've spent several weeks over the last 5 winters in your area, and that's where I got the idea to light up my F6B with LED's at night.
I had seen numerous Goldwings in your area decked out in flashing Christmas light designs, and the LEO's didn't even give them a second glance.
And I've seen lots of Harley guys have their chrome engines and exhausts accentuated with LED's, most with purples and blues.
Granted, this was on Gulf Blvd through the Beaches, so maybe it's different in downtown Tampa or Ybor City.
I run 6 strings of blue LED's (not flashing) on my bike now, and never have had a problem.
My jurisdiction states that blue lights cannot be forward facing or flashing.
Mine are side and down facing, so I'm a law abiding citizen.
I've ridden my bike in some Northern states, and have also never had a problem at night.
They were lucky is all I can say. Of course, if you want to come down and try your luck more power to ya. I usually gave verbal warnings and entered the data into our citation database, so if they were stopped again for the same violation, it was noted that that person has been warned before. Of course exceptions were those that decided to challenge the citation that they talked themselves into I got OT and went about my business. Retired now and enjoying the ride!

The 2019 Florida Statutes
Title XXIII
MOTOR VEHICLES
Chapter 316
STATE UNIFORM TRAFFIC CONTROL
View Entire Chapter
316.2397 Certain lights prohibited; exceptions.—
Red and Blue Lights
Red lights are not allowed to be visible from the front on cars, trucks and motorcycles driven on a highway in the state unless they are fire department or police vehicles, and blue lights are not allowed at all on any vehicles except for police cars.

·
Registered
390 Posts
In Illinois....

I have been a volunteer fireman for 28 years, and have never had a problem (but I don't run my lights for fun...)

The rules for volunteer fire fighters in the state of Illinois are slightly different than for government owned vehicles. State statute 625 ILCS 5/12-215, section C1, (http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publicacts/pubact92/acts/92-0782.html), personal vehicles belonging to volunteer firefighters can display blue lights that oscillate, rotate or flash. Volunteer fire vehicles are only permitted to turn on their emergency lights when responding to a true emergency. Section E mandates that all lights displayed and activated on volunteer fire vehicles are required to be visible up to 500 feet away.

Section C-1 of the same statute provides for further emergency lighting on volunteer fire vehicles. These vehicles can be outfitted with flashing blue grille strobe lights and flashing white headlights. These additional lights are also only permitted to be used when the vehicle is responding to an emergency.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I run some green and ambers, no blue or red for me, I do not need that 'chance hassle stop', that is one big drama and inconvenience for me. Flashing blue lights behind me gives me pause that I do not need.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Does anyone know if blue light, or blue flashing light is legal to be installed on the bike?. My wonder is mostly for the state of Texas, however I'd be nice to know for all states for interstate road trips.
That's a great question Kashooni. I had a string of blue led lights on my 2010 Goldwing [under tank, behind openings on fairing ect] and the Ultra I now ride has the same blue lights in about the same locations. I only use them at night mainly when tooling around town or close to home. So far i have not been approached by law enforcement about them but you never know when that could change. Some of our local towns are still targeting 3 patch riders for bogus reasons. Hopefully at some point the Twin Peaks ordeal here will be forgotten.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I run blue flashing lites, and sirens all the time. Keeps the rif-raf from messing with me on the road. Seriously the only time I’ve seen LEO’s not tag a blue lens is on a hot-rod with blue-dots.

EDIT: or those blue replacement headlight bulbs. :) hate those things. Kids would put blue lights (across their roof,underneath the truck pointing down)on their farm trucks (fad) and run to school. County sheriff gets ‘em every time.

·
Registered
8,728 Posts

This looks like a Harley lamp.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71qFPtuLp4L._SX425_.jpg

·
Registered
335 Posts

Our chapter decorates our bikes for various Christmas events. We run through mobile home parks and other events for charity. We usually lead one of the bigger Christmas parades for awareness as well. The police are aware of our lighted bikes and the reasoning behind it. Last year we gave $18,000 to the Pinellas Park Firefighters Christmas fund and other children charities.

LEO's tend to look the other way where kids are involved.

·
Vendor
17,784 Posts
Hummm ... maybe that's creepy. As a kid, if you tortured animals, played with fire, and as an adult you drive and ex-cop car or something that would make others think you are a law enforcement officer, you'd then fall into an FBI profiling category. If I recall, those 3 characteristics are common around child molesters. Please keep in mind that some want blue lights for other reasons ... like it matches their bike. Which is completely different then what I described above.

For me, I've done none of those 3, and have no desire to have blue lights on anything. I respect our law enforcement officers, and have no desire to make their job any more confusing or difficult then what it already is.

Reactions: Danl

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
I have the Ring of Fire with the amber lights shining out and the blue and red lights shining in and reflecting off the wheel. I don't know if they are legal or not but I've gotten the thumbs-up from police in my area (Western Montana). I heard it's a different story in Eastern Montana. I put a switch on it and don't run it very often but I've never had an issue in the Western US or Canada.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts