GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm investigating choices for putting a trike kit on my 2006 GL1800 this spring. Been looking primarily at California Side Car and Champion because I like their look best.

However, lately I'm seeing things online saying that Champion has stopped taking trike and sidecar orders effective January of this year. So, I tried to contact them via their web site and via phone. Haven't heard back from them in four days now. Seems to me if you are still in business and someone inquired about your product you'd quickly contact them.

Anyone else have any information on Champion's status?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I'm investigating choices for putting a trike kit on my 2006 GL1800 this spring. Been looking primarily at California Side Car and Champion because I like their look best.

However, lately I'm seeing things online saying that Champion has stopped taking trike and sidecar orders effective January of this year. So, I tried to contact them via their web site and via phone. Haven't heard back from them in four days now. Seems to me if you are still in business and someone inquired about your product you'd quickly contact them.

Well... I just got a phone call back from them this morning.

Their representative said that the owner of the business has retired and as such they are reconsidering which parts of their businesses they will stay in.

He said that they will still build side cars and reverse gears, but that trike kits will only be done on a "case-by-case" basis and that they have let go their painting staff, so they won't color match paint them anymore.

When I pressed him further to define "case-by-case" basis trike builds, I did get him to say that they are phasing out of the trike kit building business.

Personally, I think that "case-by-case" means they have a few trike kits left in stock and when those are sold they're done making any more.

So, looks like no more trikes from Champion. Too bad.

·
Registered
88 Posts

Same question came up on Trike Talk forum - here's the thread link - scroll down posts by "Papa Zook" sounds like they are scaling back on business options

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Give the guy at this website a call. He installed a Champion kit for a friend of mine and I've been to his shop. He should have the straight scoop for you and also give you other options. BTW the friend hasn't had any problems with her kit that I know of. Another plus he's not that far from your location.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't know if you noticed my reply in post #2, but they finally contacted me.

The owner retired. They are phasing out of the trike kit building business. They will sell what they have left and that's it.

·
Registered
560 Posts
If there was money to be made, the retiring owner would have sold his company for some nice $$$$$.

With trike kits, you need dealers and installers who will be there in 5-10-15 years to service your trike.

I'd run from them. Support is everything. Sad to hear.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Around the 1st. of the year there was a thread on another site stating that Champion had shut down; however, they were in merger discussions with Lehman.

Not sure what ever happened with that?
Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts