GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
15+ years ago, my Harley was a great bike. I was younger, rode everywhere, met a lot of great people, went to a lot of rallies, etc. When I got my first one, there were probably 5 in the city. Now, there are 5 on my street. Not that I didn't do a little bar-hopping myself, but I actually RODE it places. It seems today's wannabes use them to just ride a 1/4 mile down the street for a cold one. I have my Softail and it's also a great bike. I just can't relate the the HD riders of today. Maybe I'm getting older and wiser...who knows. When I go into the HD dealership now and look around, they have nothing for me. I just can't get excited anymore from what I see. I mean, I can buy right now, but they have no more wow-factor for me. They gotta get rid of that batwing.

Get rid of the damn batwing and may see something I like again.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
As the article suggests, it isn't just Harley Davidson having problems with aging customers. The average age of a motorcyclist as of 2007 is 47. I would think the average age of a Goldwing owner is even higher.

Any motorcycle company that has a model targeted to older riders will suffer in the next decade. No new riders to step up and decreasing disposable income is a bad combination. Honda obviously misjudged the number of 2006/2007 Goldwings it could sell since those model years were availible even while the 2008 Goldwings were in showrooms.

The bikes that are selling (sportbikes) are targeted to much younger riders. When they get older I doubt they will be hopping on a $25K half-ton plus Wingabago...

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
15+ years ago, my Harley was a great bike.
Get rid of the damn batwing and may see something I like again.
So what's the problem................buy 1, take the batwing off, sell it on e-bay, & enjoy your new motorcycle.
happy trails,
the hobo

·
Registered
747 Posts
The article pointed out the marketing strategy is to sell a "lifestyle" not a motorcycle. IMO, that works for awhile, but sooner or later the public wants a good bike with new technology. Warren Buffet just might end up owning Harley and that could be good news for Harley because some changes need to be made.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Many industries are going through a natural and needed adjustment....much like the dot.com bust of the 90's. Even though it is widely perceived that the internet cash flow burst then, the overall cash flow is higher today than when the dot.com era was at it's peak. The only difference is that todays internet is a more stable and sustainable industry.

The motorcycle industry as well as most others will turn out the same. Some brands might be gone, but most will survive. The days of people going on a waiting list to buy a new HD at 15% over retail are gone forever. This is good for the consumer and in the long run will also benefit the dealers because they will be forced to become competitive and efficient.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Willie G can take their "lifestyle" and shove it. I for one, do not want to be associated with those folks.

JMHO:doorag:

·
Registered
758 Posts
Life style or not it's a tough road

Until we get thru this era of stimulis pkgs and high unemployment it is going to be tough on the industries that thrive primarily on items of non neccessity.
We and our children are going to suffer dearly to repay all the hand outs that are taking place currently. Many of the manufactures of the so called non-essential commodities are going to change dramaticly from what we had become accustom to and many will not survive the down turn in the business inviroment they are experiencing.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
Harley Davidison will be here when everyone that is on this board is gone..
Harley is one of the best at marketing... and obviously lots of folks like what they offer...

cosmic

·
Registered
230 Posts
The bikes that are selling (sportbikes) are targeted to much younger riders. When they get older I doubt they will be hopping on a $25K half-ton plus Wingabago...
So, have you always ridden a Goldwing?

Everybody starts somewhere. Most riders start on either sportbikes, or something a whole lot sportier than a Goldwing. As they get older (and wiser), they tend to move to something more comfortable. Before I owned a car, I had a sportbike. Rode that thing everywhere, I even took some long vacations on it. I entered the world of road racing for several years, enjoyed it immensely and did quite well. My life was all about sportbikes, even made fun of the old guys on the big touring bikes. 'How could that be fun?' I thought. Eventually I figured out I was no longer comfortable riding those things, and moved on to the cruiser world for about 3 years. But after a couple long road trips on the Warrior, I decided it was time to stop messing around and get what I could easily pound out the miles on.

My point is, just because someone starts out on a certain type of bike does not mean they will always ride that one. Honda has probably the broadest range of motorized products available today. From lawn mowers to generators, cars to bikes. They impact everyone on a regular basis, and I hazard to say there is not one person who has not heard of them, and their legendary reliability. This will definitely bring more riders into the fold down the road.

As far as Harley is concerned, while they don't sell bikes like they used too, with waiting lists and huge markups, they do still sell bikes. Our local Harley shop stays quite busy, even in our little town. And their lifestyle? Once you get past the erroneous image of hardcore hooligans, they are just regular people. So what if they don't ride as far as you or I. That doesn't make them less of a biker, just a different kind of one. I ride exclusively with Harley guys, just because my circle of friends all ride them. Yes, they are loud, and often obnoxious. I just put a little distance between myself and them on the road so I don't have to listen to them. And if I want to ride further than the next pub, I ride by myself.

Harley and Honda will both be here in the end of things. They both have terrific products that people like, and have a tremendous following. While some changes should probably be made, the overall picture will remain the same. It is going to be another beautiful day here, I am going riding.

O

·
0 Posts
When I started, road riding, it was a way to set myself apart from ‘the crowd’. It was more of a individual thing. Man, machine and gravity. As the song goes…’The modern day drifter’. Of course there was the whole ‘Outlaw’ thing. But that got to be a bit dangerous. Motorcycle riding use to be an individual endeavor. Those days are long gone. I do miss them.

Now it all seems to be ‘herds’, groups or clicks. The idea of just ‘pointing it towards the sun’, seems to be all but lost. Now it has to be analyzed and justified. Numbers have to be crunched, demographics have to be set up and studied. The way of the individual has given way to ‘the group’.

When I got my scooter, way back when, it was more of a ‘this is what a man rides’. Now it has become “….. identified with a certain generation.” Like other things, motorcycles are going to change, because ‘we’ have changed (or have been changed). The ways of men, have passed.

I am not going to worry about it. I’ve had ‘my time in the sun’. I was there and I did it. What ever it is that interests this ‘new crowd’…..I’ll leave it to them. It’s their time now anyway. I am just glad I had the time I did.

Harley, Honda, Yamaha, ect are going to do what it takes to survive. That the way of business. However….”Guys don't want to be riding this bike that looks like their grandfather's bike.” That is more of an indictment of their grandfathers, not the scooter they ride. That is the real shame.

:popcorn:

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
Willie G can take their "lifestyle" and shove it. I for one, do not want to be associated with those folks.

Those folks???? well now. I own a HD so I guess you and I will not accociate...um, I don't know you and I don't think you know me...guess you never will....

Um, those folks, sorry about that:doorag: I try to reserve judgement until I knew someone, but...well never mind

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipeflier

Those folks???? well now. I own a HD so I guess you and I will not accociate...um, I don't know you and I don't think you know me...guess you never will....

Um, those folks, sorry about that:doorag: I try to reserve judgement until I knew someone, but...well never mind

Very well said KYBlue.. I have never owned a Harley and that is only because I have only ridden now for 7-8 years and they are still on my, "let's try one" list. LOL...

It may be awhile before I own one but if I am lucky it will happen before I die. I know I intend for it to..Economy at my end will be playing a part in it for right now...

I have no problem with 95% of the Harley owners I know. I wish I could say the same thing for other bike brand owners I know.. JMHO...

·
Registered
268 Posts
I've ridden and owned several Harleys, Yamahas, Hondas, and Kawasakis. I try to never be negative about any certain rider because of what he rides. What did you ride before you rode the Wing? At that time it was the best and the others who rode it were also the best in your mind. Before this Wing I rode a Yamaha FJR. The best sport touring bike on the market then and now. However the Wing does more for me now due to capacity and alternator voltage to support my long distance habit. They all make great bikes. I like anyone who rides, because they are RIDING!:p

·
Registered
1,299 Posts

:roll: now that's the kind of comment I would have expected from a nine year old...grow up.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Harley

I don't own one, they are not my style of bike right now. I have no problem with them however, ride what you like. I am not crazy about the super loud ones that some ride but it is a free country ( at least I think it still is ) so more power to them. I hope Harley stays around at least till I am dead and gone because I like to look at the gals in all that leather with their better parts showing. WooHoo, looks good to me. the Harley guys do seem to have the better looking gals, course they have the mo mo phugly ones too, Heh Heh !! :bow::yes1:

·
Love The DCT
11,795 Posts

The motor companies promoting of the "lifestyle" has made it lots of money and a marketing scheme that Honda could only dream of having in place.

·
Love The DCT
11,795 Posts

Yea, he made a strange comment for someone who claims in his sig line that he has/had a 37 knucklehead.

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
I don't own one, they are not my style of bike right now. I have no problem with them however, ride what you like. I am not crazy about the super loud ones that some ride but it is a free country ( at least I think it still is ) so more power to them. I hope Harley stays around at least till I am dead and gone because I like to look at the gals in all that leather with their better parts showing. WooHoo, looks good to me. the Harley guys do seem to have the better looking gals, course they have the mo mo phugly ones too, Heh Heh !! :bow::yes1:
granted, the HD girls do look nice, and I've seen my share of very nice ladies wearing textile ride gear...but I think those sport bike girls are taking top spot lately....:lol:
not that I could do anything about that....too old....like a dog chasing a car, wouldn't know what do do if I caught it......:joke::joke:
besides, the wife won't let me have one....:lol:

1 - 20 of 74 Posts