GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I actually had an '02 K1200LT for 2 and a half years and 25,000 miles. Had no problems. Now that I have a Wing, two people I knew from a BMW group don't want to ride with me anymore. The whole time I had My K1200LT, (I was only 30) they all treated me like I was a spoiled brat to have one at such a young age, even though I work for everything I've EVER gotten.

They have an air about them, like BMW is just the class of anything on two wheels.

I stopped at a gas station last week, and an RT owner asked "has your frame cracked yet?" I replied, "has your rear end failed yet?"

So are these people pricks BEFORE they buy, or does it come afterwards?

·
Registered
295 Posts
After, they tend to get grumpy after receiving their bill from the BMW shop for routine maintenance.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Not when you first buy it ..But they will train :oops: :oops: :oops: ..chuck..PS in case you havent noticed we have a "FEW" here also :oops: :oops:

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
BMW RIDERS

Montero1,
haven't met ALL BMW riders,but IMO, MOST all i've met in 48 yrs of motorcycling have been "different". Wouldn't call 'em pricks exactly,just "different".
EXAMPLE: 1st trailer i'd ever seen towed behind a motorcycle was on a BMW.
6 of us were riding Harleys on our way to Datytona in 1968. Stopped for gas late in the day on US 17 between Savanna & Jacksonville, & saw a COUPLE on a BMW pulling a homemade trailer that was a double COFFIN mounted on wheels.
Talked briefly with the dude,asked how it handeled,how he'd made & mounted the hitch,etc.....guy answerd all my Q's, then said he made it so they could SLEEP in it.
After gassing,we follwed them for awhile & the trailer seemed to handle O.K..
BMW riders,Volvo/Saab, BMW/Benz drivers, most seem to dance to a diferent drummer, but that's JMO!! :D
Oh yeah, i've met more than a few 'WING riders that are a couple of fries short of a Happy Meal too. :shock:
Ride Red,
the hobo

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
montero1 said:
(snip)

I've got a doctor friend that has one (his second), or he did the last time I looked. I'VE never seen him ride any of his bikes, but has about two dozen gorgeous old cars in the stable. Nicest guy I know. I do know that he was complaining about his first bmw's windshield brackets or something, and how expensive it was, how far he had to travel to the dealer, and how they sent the wrong parts.

BTW, he's a urologist. :wink:

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I have one and I can be a prick sometimes. But then, I hardly ever ride with anyone else, no matter what they ride...

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Fortunately I have not met any unpleasant BMW riders....must be where you ride....go west young man!

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
montero1 said:
In all probability, that guy was a former GL1800 owner. Can you blame him?

·
Registered
95 Posts
montero1 said:
ahhhh... what comes first, the prick or the bike? personally, i think it's the prick, but then you can find pricks all over the country riding all kinds of bikes. the degree of prickness can change dramatically either way depending on the other pricks he associates with.

i had an 02 RT, traded it in on an 02 GSA that i still have with ~120k miles on the odo. excellent ride. obviously since i'm posting here, i also have a goldwing. second wing actually. i ain't no prick. :)

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
im sure,since i was prequalified when i was considering buying one

i have met a bunch of bmw riders along my travels and i cant say i ever spoke to any that werent just fine folks

·
Registered
707 Posts
You will find the same in any group of bike owners - Harley, BMW, Goldwing.

It's a bad thing but unfortunately it seems there are a lot of people that are unsure of their decission to buy a certain bike they have to convince everyone else they made the best choice.

The people I ride with don't have that problem. What is important is that you ride - not what you ride. I don't want to ride any more with people that have a problem with that and try to force their bike decission on everyone else.

Reiner

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Having been to a few gatherings where there were a lot of BMW riders, some Harley's,Honda's,Suziki's,etc.I've never run into anyone that I found to be a prick.
On my first trip to Hyder,I stopped at a small roadside park for a break.Whil stopped,I was looking at something on my bike,and saw a brand new BMW stopped on the road,looking at me.Turns out he was checking to make sure I wasn't in trouble.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Wingriderz said:
Hey, at least Beemer and HD riders will wave backatcha. Can't say the same for Wing riders. What's that all about?
reminds me of riding through milwaukee during my 2002 48-plus ride. here's an excerpt from the report which can be read in full here:

http://jasonjonas.com/motorcycling/ride ... p-2002.jsp

Traffic began to move at a greater pace north of the downtown area and the ride into Milwaukee was actually pleasant. While riding around the city I forgot this was the home of Milwaukee iron and Harley-Davidson. I usually wave at every rider I see. I don’t wave for my own satisfaction, but to acknowledge another dog with his head stuck out the window. You got to admit that a wave is better and safer than trying to sniff a rider’s ass. I was blatantly snubbed two times while riding through the city. I was flabbergasted at it, but I just blew it off. Besides, it’s not my problem and I’ll still wave at the next rider I see. The best part of traipsing through that area came when I encountered another Wing rider. He held out his hand high and was waving like a madman. I waved back, of course, and he just smiled from ear to ear. I had a big ol’ smile on my face while thinking this guy probably doesn’t get much of a response from other riders. A smile is mandatory riding gear when the finger doesn't take precedence.

·
Registered
466 Posts
jasonJonas said:
montero1 said:
ahhhh... what comes first, the prick or the bike? personally, i think it's the prick, but then you can find pricks all over the country riding all kinds of bikes. the degree of prickness can change dramatically either way depending on the other pricks he associates with.

i had an 02 RT, traded it in on an 02 GSA that i still have with ~120k miles on the odo. excellent ride. obviously since i'm posting here, i also have a goldwing. second wing actually. i ain't no prick. :)
Jason,

Good to see you still pop in here from time to time.

Like Jason says, is it the prick that makes the purchase or the purchase that makes the prick? This board seems to have more than it's fair share, including at least one that doesn't even own a motorcycle. I saw more "pricks" at WingDing than anywhere else, but I don't consider all GWRRA members "pricks".

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
You can generalize cruiser riders (chrome posers), wing riders (velcro sneakers and cup holders) sportbike riders (squids on rockets), BMW (snobs) etc, etc.
Some do fit into the mold but not all. Look at you were you a snob on a beemer?
Heck I've gone from lots of sportbikes, sporttourers, dualsports to my 2nd wing and first cruiser at 43 yrs old. I still don't think the cruiser fits me, but I like the way it looks, not real thrilled about the ride and it may go when I add another sporttourer/dualsport.
Real riders get it and know its all good. Don't worry about "image" just have fun.
Having said that, some of the Cliche' riders do get on my nerves now and again.
Steve

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Misplaced pride, about a material thing!

One upmanship, when there is no contest and the default value in the beginning and at the end are both "0".

Bulldog

·
Registered
54 Posts
Let me tell you about my BMW experience.

Is it a prerequisite to be a PRICK to own a BMW?

No, but it helps.

Autually it's the BMW dealers that are pricks as well as BMW itself.

I rode the K1200LT for years and finally got tired of it falling off the center stand or the side stand even on level ground if the wind blew.

I got tired of the brakes squealing and them telling me there was nothing they could do about it.

I got tired of BMW blaming me every time something broke, like this shift linkage broke twice and they said I shifted to hard.

I've been riding for 30 years and never broke a shift linkage on any other bike.

BMW is so close to producing a great bike and they are to stuck up to fix the little problems they have with the K1200LT, that cause big problems like what happens when the big ole K1200LT tips over on a child?

Mine tipped over on me while I sat beside it one time. I thought the vultures would eat me before I got out from under it.

One time it tipped over while I cleaned the mirror.

Another time it tipped over when my daughter leaned up against it.

The center stand broke when I bottomed out on some uneven pavement and I had it replaced just to have the second center stand break 2 months later for no apparent reason at all.

BMW did not replace them because I wore the 2nd center stand out in 2 months.
I didn’t expect them to replace the 1st center stand because I did bottom out.

I wrecked my BMW K1200LT and bought a GL1500 just to get me by until I found my next real bike.

I liked the GL1500 better than that brand new K1200LT.

So I sold it and bought my GL1800 and I can tell you the K1200 LT is far outclassed by the GL1800.

·
lightley seasoned member
3,082 Posts
Its optional, just like any bike.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts