Discussion Starter #1
On my Zumo 550:

My touch screen is getting fritzy,
the touch screen doesn't work sometimes,
can't open "Where To" or "View Map" screens sometimes,
asks if I really want to delete all user data?,
won't play songs when I press play,
only draws part of map spometimes?

Is this repairable or do I need a need a new Zumo? If so which model?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Call Garmin and see what they want for the "repair". They don't repair anything, they send you a newly refurbished unit which look as good as new. Sometimes it's worth it and sometimes not.

When my Garmin 2610 crapped out a few years back, they wanted $200 for a refurbished unit which at the time was a bargain compared to $600 for a new one.

For some reason, the Zumo 550 is still pricey when newer generation units are out. I have it and the 660 and prefer the 660 because it's faster to boot up, and much faster to acquire satellites and to do route calculations.

I'd go with the 660 is the cost to replace the 550 is too high.

Since you're in BC, they are going to ask you to ship the unit to a place in Quebec that services Canadian garmin products. Last time I dealt with them, I wasn't too impressed. If you have a US address, get it done through Garmin USA and have the unit shipped to your US address.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Check with Garmin 1st before replacing it.
My 450 started acting wierd after several map upgrades.
Garmin told me how to reset it and it has worked fine since.

·
Registered
847 Posts
On my Zumo 550:

I bet your unit is close to 4 years old. That is a common problem with them, Refurbushied unit from Garmin is 120- 150 depending on the tech you're speaking with. Both myself and a friends had the same issues. Not worth trying to replace it yourself, I had mine apart and if you break a ribbon cable you're screwed. You'll also need special torx head to get the screws out.

·
Registered
911 Posts
On my Zumo 550:

Try recalibrating the screen...press and hold the power button for about one minute until the calibration screen comes up...follow the instructions...my buddy has a 550 and his screen was acting up...calibration fixed it...ride safe...

Scott

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried the recalibration method and that seemed to work for a bit then my Zumo 550 went bonkers again. It works for awhile then it goes haywire again. Think I will try buying the new part from Ebay. Thanks for all your help. Will let you know how it works out.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I just got a refurb model after 4 years. New screen plus new battery and one of my old buttons has a hole it it so it was worth the $150.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts