1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! New to this wing and CT
I have a Michelin Primacy a/s
195-55 set at 34 psi.

It is literally throwing me off on uneven surfaces and rode on a Woden plank bridge yesterday and could barely keep the bike upright over the uneven planks. On dirt roads that are uneven it wants to fall over super easy. I'm glad I have strong legs!!!!
Obviously, the tire wants to stay flat and uneven surfaces are causing my issues but damn!

Is this normal?
I've read all the great reviews but seriously thinking on getting it swapped back to normal for my 11 hour ride back home!!

im in Eureka Springs, AR now for the rest of this week then heading back to Wisconsin.

Thanks for for any tips!!

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Bump your pressure to 40-42 and see how it does.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Pressure

Remember if you have been riding awhile the tire is warm and the pressure will be higher then the reading when cold in the morning. But I agree with others, move the pressure around and see what works for you.
...gene

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I think the problem you described is the largest concern I have with my ct. Still wont give it up - and the wife wont ride without it.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
How long have you been riding on the CT? It takes a few miles to get use to it and the 11 hr trip won't be all on uneven roads . You will never think of it when you get settled in riding a CT . MTs are hairy on uneven payment as well but you won't notice the CT when you get some time in the saddle with it.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Most of us don't ride on wooden bridges and dirt roads! ;=)

·
Registered
78 Posts
name of the game

Car tires on bikes have a real problem on uneven surfaces, no matter what you do them. Rode one for along time and any time I was on an uneven surface it required definite input on the handlebars. If you ride on a slanted road you have to put input on the bars. It does take some getting use to, but it is always there. That is why I don't use one any more. Just my choice.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, well, I guess it's just me.
Yep, the low tire warning goes out after 10 min or so of riding and on the highway it feels fine.
Not so confident in the twistys yet with it and slow speed dirt roads it just scares the crap outa me!

Been riding bikes for 30 years and this is my first time with such a big bike and CT. I see a lot of guys around with CT and they look a lot more fragil than me. I guess I just need more pratice.

I feel like a newbie rider again and can't keep a solid line in the corners. I've owned all kinds of sport and sport-touring bikes and a cool Raider too.

Never had had to fight a bike like I do this one, just thought it was weird.

Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Ok, well, I guess it's just me.
Yep, the low tire warning goes out after 10 min or so of riding and on the highway it feels fine.
Not so confident in the twistys yet with it and slow speed dirt roads it just scares the crap outa me!

Been riding bikes for 30 years and this is my first time with such a big bike and CT. I see a lot of guys around with CT and they look a lot more fragil than me. I guess I just need more pratice.

I feel like a newbie rider again and can't keep a solid line in the corners. I've owned all kinds of sport and sport-touring bikes and a cool Raider too.

Never had had to fight a bike like I do this one, just thought it was weird.

Thanks all.
For what you describe, some ct's are worse than others.
Why did you pick the "Michelin Primacy a/s"?.. That is not a common "first CT".

The Michelin Alpin is MUCH more forgiving about pushing the bike around on uneven surfaces.
The images I see when I Google your Michelin Primacy a/s look very squared off like an old Wintersport.
That was really bad about pushing me around.

Did you mean to get the Alpin?

Dennis

·
Registered
442 Posts
If you want to notice the problem in question at a slow speed, try to back into your garage with maybe a 1" step and back in at a diagonal. You better hang on or the bike will go over while the full tread rides up and over the lip. Car tires are notorious for that because of the wider foot print. Just something you get to understand for all the positive, benefits of running one.

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
Hi all! New to this wing and CT
I have a Michelin Primacy a/s
195-55 set at 34 psi.

It is literally throwing me off on uneven surfaces and rode on a Woden plank bridge yesterday and could barely keep the bike upright over the uneven planks. On dirt roads that are uneven it wants to fall over super easy. I'm glad I have strong legs!!!!
Obviously, the tire wants to stay flat and uneven surfaces are causing my issues but damn!

Is this normal?
I've read all the great reviews but seriously thinking on getting it swapped back to normal for my 11 hour ride back home!!

im in Eureka Springs, AR now for the rest of this week then heading back to Wisconsin.

Thanks for for any tips!!
Fellow wisconsin rider,
I ride on every surface i can find and yes I hear what you are saying .
Car tires will alway want to find lowest spot aka lean the bike . I find speed is my friend and also looking exactly where my tires are helps a lot . Some riders with poor balance or weaken strength ,car tires are not their best friends . The only person I helped to the Darkside that went back to round tires was not comfortable with what you are describing . He had bad painful hip .
Some tires are rounder than others so a rounder profile tire may help your situation . Most riders do not ride in the conditions you mentioned . I do and more ugly even . Speed is key . Practice riding over 1/2 boards may help , than increase to 1" to get a feel for the big girl . Car tires are not for everyone and everybodies riding style. Good luck and be patient.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
So far any CT that I have ridden on, have a tendency to fall into the low side of rutting! I am use to it and adjust. I am life-timer, so far.

·
IronMan
17,462 Posts
IF YOU GOT FLATTER TIRE THAT DENNIS SAID :roll::roll: WHOLE DIFFERENT GAME= I USED TO HAVE DUNNIE RF AND IT HAD FLAT PROFILE . IT WAS WORK !! ALPIN I PUT ON AND FIRST CORNER I ALMOST FELL OVER IT WENT IN SO EASY !! OTHER THING IS DONT FIGHT THE TIRE - GET USED TO IT . WHEN IT GOES TO WALK JERKY OTHER WAY AINT A GOOD THING - ON 4TH ONE NOW N WONT GO BACK . GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
I think the problem you described is the largest concern I have with my ct. Still wont give it up - and the wife wont ride without it.
Yes I agree. You will get used to it. I always watch the angle of the ground, especially in parking lots. It won't bother you once you expect it instead of surprising you. Speeding up always smooths things out for me.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
if you don't find a comfort level with the ct, you can always go back to a mt, nothing wrong with that. On slow speed maneuvers keep your idle at about 2000 rpm and just use clutch and rear brake when turning. I agree with Rail, speed can be your friend with a ct.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dennis; Purchased the bike from a friend, Primacy was already on it. Had lots of tread left so I figured what the heck.
Alpin is better?

Thanks all for the replys!
Was going to head over to a shop today to get a 704 on it but decided to study these forums a little more to get some good advise.
Looks like the Alpin may be better choice for me.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I honestly don't feel the push over uneven surfaces some fear. After about 80K on my last bike with car tires, I got a new bike and didn't think anything about the mc tire. By that I mean I sure wasn't thinking this tire doesn't push me around. I put a new Alpin on at 500 miles and noticed a slight difference between it and the original, but not much.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
If you don't need a run-flat, get the Falken ziex 912.
I swore off car tires to the point that I was blind to them. Then I tried one of these and the world opened up for me.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts