GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
Honda DCT Goldwing 2020, Matte Black and Red!
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the sixth of September I flew from Tampa to CT, to get mom and bring her back to the Sunshine state to live with me. This thread is not about her, but along the way back to Florida in a rental SUV we were in New Jersey and it was raining off and on. Gloomy weather, had me turning the wipers off and on all day. At one point we came upon a solo rider on his GS, tucked in behind his tiny windscreen wearing appropriate riding gear wearing a full face helmet. Mom says “ wow he must be miserable in this rain”. I gave it great thought and replied “ if he was me he’d be happier then a pig in :poop:riding out in the elements enjoying the views and aromas no one to nag him about his driving.“

People who don’t ride just don’t get it. I’ve tried to explain what we feel and experience and they just look at me as if am crazy. I said to my wife I’m going to meet some Prowlers for lunch on Saturday. She says “in this heat, take the SUV”? They just don’t get that we’d rather be dripping wet and riding in 100 degree weather on our stead’s, then caged up with a/c on high.

Is it just me?

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
No... it isn't just you. I know people who "occasionally" ride their motorcycles to be like this as well, much less folks who only have cars. Most folks in cars want to be as comfortable as sitting on their couch... all the time.

A friend of mine who does ride... occasionally... commented once when I told him I had gone riding on one particular summer day: "Wow... wasn't it hot?..."

I said, " Yes..."

;)

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
On the sixth of September I flew from Tampa to CT, to get mom and bring her back to the Sunshine state to live with me. This thread is not about her, but along the way back to Florida in a rental SUV we were in New Jersey and it was raining off and on. Gloomy weather, had me turning the wipers off and on all day. At one point we came upon a solo rider on his GS, tucked in behind his tiny windscreen wearing appropriate riding gear wearing a full face helmet. Mom says “ wow he must be miserable in this rain”. I gave it great thought and replied “ if he was me he’d be happier then a pig in :poop:riding out in the elements enjoying the views and aromas no one to nag him about his driving.“

People who don’t ride just don’t get it. I’ve tried to explain what we feel and experience and they just look at me as if am crazy. I said to my wife I’m going to meet some Prowlers for lunch on Saturday. She says “in this heat, take the SUV”? They just don’t get that we’d rather be dripping wet and riding in 100 degree weather on our stead’s, then caged up with a/c on high.

Is it just me?

Maybe? ;)

I love riding.......I love riding a lot.......but,
I do not like riding in excessive heat, excessive cold or in heavy rain.
It's just me....and not my idea of fun. (y)

The great thing is.......I'm retired and can pick the good weather riding days, unless it's a multi-day trip with Mother-nature and all.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT Airbag
2,944 Posts
Maybe? ;)

I love riding.......I love riding a lot.......but,
I do not like riding in excessive heat, excessive cold or in heavy rain.
It's just me....and not my idea of fun. (y)

The great thing is.......I'm retired and can pick the good weather riding days, unless it's a multi-day trip with Mother-nature and all.
I didn't even read the rest of the responses. This one is EXACTLY what I was gonna say, pretty much word for word.
Scott

·
Registered
159 Posts
100% agree! I absolutely love riding in the rain, I don't mind the heat (Arizona 110+) and like being bundled up because it's cold...... hmmmmm anytime I'm in the saddle is a fantastic day!!!

People definitely don't get it. I can and do ride MUCH MUCH further and longer than I can drive in the car.

·
Administrator
5,062 Posts
I'm with you. I get no joy out of riding in a car. A car is just transportation. On my motorcycle it's an adventure.

I have many non-riding friends who just do not understand, and it's useless to try to explain.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
It's not just you, but it's not really me either. I don't get to ride a lot so I want to enjoy it and I dont enjoy excessive heat or wet. I've done my share, just don't relish it.
Snow Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tree Tire
Snow Automotive tire Sky Snowmobile Slope

When it's cold(er) I have alternate rides to enjoy, providing the snow is deep enough. That season is coming up sooner than I'm prepared for.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
My only gripe about riding in the rain is when the rain gear I have thinks the waterproofing should be "underwear". Rain pants, coat, and boot/shoe covers are not so much a problem because they go over everything; but gloves are ridiculous. Dry hands are still miserable hands if the gloves have 5 lbs. of water soaked into each one.

Other than that, rain, shine, hot, or cold down to almost freezing as long as ice on the road is less of a concern; and I am happy on the bike and riding. I have even set out on an all day 300+ mile Saturday ride with it raining and expected it to be raining the entire ride (it did). I do use electrics for those cold days. I have been kicking myself all Spring and Summer long because I lost my "use in every coat" heated zip in liner by putting on the rear seat after lunch and not putting it away. Well, to tell the truth, I made it fit new coats. But I finally have a "manufactured" replacement and coat that is supposed to be good in the rain that arrived today. It was somewhat easy to make the heated liner zip into my mesh coat, but I need a zipper (common size) to sew into my leather coat. So, I get to remain being a happy and warm rider all winter long too.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Dry hands are still miserable hands if the gloves have 5 lbs. of water soaked into each one.
Best thing I have found for that is XL latex/nitrile gloves or dishwashing gloves over top of my gloves. Good grip still and dry hands. Be aware if it's warm sweaty hands suck too.... lol
I need a pair of gortex gloves but other more fun things keep getting in the way 🙃

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
I totally agree w/ you here (y)
I'm a major SNOW SKIER, and 99% of the people that I know (including my wife) "thinks I'm nut to get out on a snowy, very cold day, and drive 150 miles (in a heated car/not bike on a snow day) to go snow skiing........They think it's better to sit in house, and complain about the cold ~n~ snow...........Now for the bike, let it rain, it's only water, if I'm caught in the rain, while on a ride ( I carry rain gear 100% of the time)NOW, IT'S THE START'N out in the rain to go for a ride, that sucks!:unsure:

Ronnie
9/17/22
Great post, by the way :love:

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Once was riding from Boston to Harrisburg, Pa. The rain was so heavy at times that cars and trucks were pulling off the road. I stop at a rest area to pee. As I was walking back to my bike, a fellow looked at me and said," I bet you wish you were in a car now". My response was, "The worst day on a bike is still better than the best day in a car." Then got on my bike and road off as the rain pored down.
They just don't get it.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
At my ripe old age, I try to avoid riding in the rain, and I no longer ride in the snow. However, I will ride in the heat, though not as far or for as long as I did a few years ago. I suspect that most members of this forum really enjoy riding, because if they didn't, they wouldn't subject themselves to the dangers, they wouldn't take the time to suit up, and they wouldn't deal with some of the inconveniences and expenses associated with owning, maintaining, and riding a motorcycle.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts

Is it just me?
Yeah, it’s just you. Motorcycles are dangerous! Just ask your mom…..

1 - 20 of 54 Posts