GL1800Riders Forums banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
In all my days there has never been a day that I thought it was too hot to ride.
You apparently haven’t lived in Florida….:p

That’s when you buy a waverunner…
Motorcycle on water. I had a Yamaha, it even was an 1800 cc machine…

I have a buddy that bought a beautiful Goldwilng and had for a total of 3 weeks. We all went for a ride and it rained on us. His wife MADE him sell it! If you can't take the weather no matter what it is just travel in a car, or stay home and let us that do enjoy riding anytime enjoy ourselves.
Glad we didn’t have to rely on people like this to settle the United States…:rolleyes:

…he was married for ten years….gave her the house and left he was 75 @ the time…
WHO gets married at 65?…o_O

·
Registered
317 Posts
its not just you, I ride everyday because Like mentioned above I find a sense of freedom and relaxation that I never achieve in a car. I just enjoy it and I do like riding alone but I also have friends and we ride together. There is just something about going down the highway with the open air around you. Yes I sometimes complain when its hot, (Being in South Florida its hot all the time.) But I get out there and ride anyway because when im moving the heat is forgotten, Yes Ive ridden in torrential downpours and though I complained believe it or not I still enjoyed the ride. People who do not ride and have not been bitten by the bug will never understand the joy we riders experience, and thus cannot understand. My wife laughs at me when I get home sometimes and im pouring the water out of my boots, But you know what for me I still enjoyed it because I was riding.

·
Registered
2002 Stream Silver ABS. Full Traxxion Suspension.
1,353 Posts
@biggersm great read, thanks for the post!

Reactions: fla_rider

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Us Minnesota boys can't handle anything over 60º F 🙃
Highs in the mid-50's the rest of the week up in northern MN.
Enjoy!
The leaves are turning color later than usual it seems due to all the sunny days. Deer have suddenly changed from summer "red" to brown/gray and the fawn's spots are disappearing.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
+1.

Today the wife and I spent 9 hrs riding from Cody, thru Yellowstone NP to West Yellowstone (for lunch), and back. Perfect day for it. Tomorrow it's going to be at least 20 degrees colder.
You lucky son of a gun. Good for you and your bride and it must have been a very nice trip.
Any trees turning yet?

Reactions: fla_rider

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
Shucks, I'm like a kid when it comes to riding my machine DCT Tour CSC Encore trike prior GW 1832. Here in Florida, I may even put on a light jacket when it gets to the high seventies. Guess as I have aged and living here in the Sunshine state, I have gotten used to Hot weather when riding here. But if I am on a long-distance ride, I will make effective use of my Veskimo cooling vest and full Latitude Jacket vented properly. I use heated gear in the cooler weather. Very rarely will I choose the car over the Trike unless we have gale-force winds. I have the proper gear in the trunk for all occasions whether it be cold/cool or hot humid summer heat. I even get so giddy I sometimes leave my wallet to get to the Trike and Ride! Thanks for Apple Wallet! The Love of the Ride is an addiction for me no doubt about it. So much so that my wife wonders if I have some mental issues o_O well it is good knowing I am in good company here with many others who Love the freedom of the ride and enjoying life. I sometimes get so into the ride I become part of the Trike. It's all about the Ride. Enjoy it! Savor it!

·
Registered
947 Posts
Even though I have been riding for almost 40 years, and love the freedom of the ride, the fun ends when it gets too hot or too cold or the rain is just too much. Anything over about 92 and the bike stays in the garage and I take the convertible out (roof down, and a/c on full blast). Anytime its below about 45, the bike stays in the garage and the SUV comes out. And while riding in the rain is not a problem, I never leave for a ride when its already raining. And when the rain gets so heavy that I worry about seeing the road and about drivers seeing me, its time to pull over and wait it out. I ride because I enjoy it, so when the smile is replaced with a grimace, its time to stop for the day.

·
Registered
45 Posts
On the sixth of September I flew from Tampa to CT, to get mom and bring her back to the Sunshine state to live with me. This thread is not about her, but along the way back to Florida in a rental SUV we were in New Jersey and it was raining off and on. Gloomy weather, had me turning the wipers off and on all day. At one point we came upon a solo rider on his GS, tucked in behind his tiny windscreen wearing appropriate riding gear wearing a full face helmet. Mom says “ wow he must be miserable in this rain”. I gave it great thought and replied “ if he was me he’d be happier then a pig in :poop:riding out in the elements enjoying the views and aromas no one to nag him about his driving.“

People who don’t ride just don’t get it. I’ve tried to explain what we feel and experience and they just look at me as if am crazy. I said to my wife I’m going to meet some Prowlers for lunch on Saturday. She says “in this heat, take the SUV”? They just don’t get that we’d rather be dripping wet and riding in 100 degree weather on our stead’s, then caged up with a/c on high.

Is it just me?
Me too! I have a 2018 Goldwing with a MotorTrike kit. Years ago, I was riding back from Kenosha, Wisconsin to Central Illinois and it was raining much of the way. I had on my rain gear, with one notable exception: my gloves. It was 42 degrees and my hands were FREEZING! After that, I bought waterproof gloves and now can ride long distances in the rain with no ill effects. Love it!

·
Registered
2021 GL1800 6 Speed Tour
17 Posts
No... it isn't just you. I know people who "occasionally" ride their motorcycles to be like this as well, much less folks who only have cars. Most folks in cars want to be as comfortable as sitting on their couch... all the time.

A friend of mine who does ride... occasionally... commented once when I told him I had gone riding on one particular summer day: "Wow... wasn't it hot?..."

I said, " Yes..."
On the sixth of September I flew from Tampa to CT, to get mom and bring her back to the Sunshine state to live with me. This thread is not about her, but along the way back to Florida in a rental SUV we were in New Jersey and it was raining off and on. Gloomy weather, had me turning the wipers off and on all day. At one point we came upon a solo rider on his GS, tucked in behind his tiny windscreen wearing appropriate riding gear wearing a full face helmet. Mom says “ wow he must be miserable in this rain”. I gave it great thought and replied “ if he was me he’d be happier then a pig in :poop:riding out in the elements enjoying the views and aromas no one to nag him about his driving.“

People who don’t ride just don’t get it. I’ve tried to explain what we feel and experience and they just look at me as if am crazy. I said to my wife I’m going to meet some Prowlers for lunch on Saturday. She says “in this heat, take the SUV”? They just don’t get that we’d rather be dripping wet and riding in 100 degree weather on our stead’s, then caged up with a/c on high.

Is it just me?
I joke with my co-workers who say it too hot for riding, that Honda has all the latest tech on my 2021 Gold Wing. I just turn on the a/c on the bike. The look on their face is priceless.😂

41 - 54 of 54 Posts