GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I know I only have own a trike for 6 months but just want to know something. I just finished a ride Saturday and we ran thru about 13 miles of switch backs with a posted speed sign of about 15 to 20MPH. First I could not keep up with the 2 wheelers even going 15 over the posted speed. I do have the rake kit as well. Second my arms and back felt like rubber when I was done. I know I am not very strong but is this a common feeling when running hot thru that many twisties? Or am I doing something wrong. I have used the advise how to take them on from the board but it really seems like work and not fun, like when I was on the 2 wheel version it was pure fun and not tirering at all. And George about the Dyna beads at 62 thru 68 the same feeling was there so I can not give the thumbs up on them yet. Maybe I need to had some more to the rear. But any advise would be greatly appreciated on taking the switch backs without so much work involed. Other then going slower which I did try and it did help a little. Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
Hi Guys,
I know I only have own a trike for 6 months but just want to know something. I just finished a ride Saturday and we ran thru about 13 miles of switch backs with a posted speed sign of about 15 to 20MPH. First I could not keep up with the 2 wheelers even going 15 over the posted speed. I do have the rake kit as well. Second my arms and back felt like rubber when I was done. I know I am not very strong but is this a common feeling when running hot thru that many twisties? Or am I doing something wrong. I have used the advise how to take them on from the board but it really seems like work and not fun, like when I was on the 2 wheel version it was pure fun and not tirering at all. And George about the Dyna beads at 62 thru 68 the same feeling was there so I can not give the thumbs up on them yet. Maybe I need to had some more to the rear. But any advise would be greatly appreciated on taking the switch backs without so much work involed. Other then going slower which I did try and it did help a little. Thanks in advance.
Probably riding tensed up because your confidence level isn't quite there yet. Go back to the twisties by yourself a few times and just learn to relax and flow with the curves. You will be slower at first but your speed and comfort will increase with every ride. Straight arm the grip on the outside of the curve, lean just slightly away from the curve and lightly pull the opposite grip. It's a flowing motion that once you get the hang of will make curves effortless.

Keep in mind everyone develops their own style and technique and you will too. The more you ride the better it will become. After three months of learning to ride a Trike and with very limited two-wheel experience I took off on 7,500 mile trip through the west. I was dyin' the first (3) days, went from Michigan to Salt Lake City. Fourth day and after that was like sitting in a recliner relaxin'........

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Mike if your talking about U turn like Switchbacks, 120 to almost 180 degrees, yes it will ware you out cause you are constantly pulling or pushing on the handle bars, instead of counter steering, and leaning into a turn like that. Which is a lot less stressful on ya, than the push/pull. I like you am not that strong any longer, and have of late been getting tired easily. Some of the soreness will sort of go away with time, and use, as you build up the mussels that you haven't been using to steer the Trike before.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Mike,

A couple of weeks after we bought our first trike, Tammy and I took off on a 3,800 mile trip through New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, California and Texas. A lot of those miles were in the mountains. The first three days were living hell. Scared to death and so tired by the end of the day that we were dreading the next sunrise. At some point, things started to get better and by the end of the trip, riding the trike was becoming a joy. As of today, she has 15K miles on her trike and I have 9K on mine. With each mile, it just keeps getting better and better. I'm amazed at the speed and ease we can now take the curves.

The solution to your complaint is simple and fun. You need to get on your trike and ride, ride, ride and then, ride some more.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
No, it sure isn't you. I had my wing triked last May. The two plus hour ride back home from the factory was pretty tiring for me. We then took a trip to Boston and back a couple of weeks later. At first I was really tired while on the road and frequent stops to let my arms get reinvigorated was required. However, after riding around for the next few days with my son on the back roads near his place I realized it was getting easier and easier to follow him through the twisties. Now I'm going to have to get reacquainted with the trike since I've not been able to ride for almost six months. (health issues and of course, the weather). I know it will take a while to get back into the groove and regain the strength needed for the tight curves. But, I can't wait!!! :excited: Pretty soon. Yeah!!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Twisties??

It is NOT you. We have all gone thru the same probs...but yes, a true switchback (like we have in Colorado mountains) will tax your skills and muscles...until you ride, ride, ride and get used to your trike. After that time period, you will think you died and went to Heaven:)

When Timm's Trikes rebuilt my Lehman trike this past Fall, I mentioned the fact of my upper body being exhausted after a Club ride in Colorado. When I picked it up, he, even without my permission, had already installed the riser kit for my handlebars. He claims it makes the math a lot easier for steering. I, unfortunately, loaded the trike in MN and pulled home to CO. and parked it. Can't wait to see if he is correct, but...for $35 it was worth a try.

The older we get, we all lose a little muscle tone: While watching TV at night, I simply use two 5 lb. barbells and do curls: don't even care how many...do it until it hurts. It may take you a week before the next morning pains aren't there, but it is well worth the time and effort. I think it helps my snow skiing, too:) Ride OFten, ride safely. Does your SO go with AND enjoy?? Johnny

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Guys and yes can't go anywhere without her on the back. She loves it. I just wish I could say the same at this moment in time. I do miss the 2 wheeler especially yesterday. It will get better I know. Thanks again to one and all.

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
OK, we love the trike, it's great and does do exactly what we hoped it would do, make a more comfortable and safer ride for us...but for pure motorcycle riding, flicking the bike in the twisties, ease of riding....you can't beat 2 wheels.....if the wife quite riding, I would sell the trike....

·
Registered
524 Posts
I have said this before on other Posts. During the first five miles on my trike I said to myself "What did I go and do to a brand new Wing?"

The feel was so different and I felt like everything had to be forced and muscled.

That feeling went away after about 100 miles or so.

C O N F I D E N C E !!!!!!

That is key to joyful trike riding. Not over confidence though. Just because it is a trike it does not give you carte' -blanc over attention levels.

You will get used to it just keep on riding.

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
I have said this before on other Posts. During the first five miles on my trike I said to myself "What did I go and do to a brand new Wing?"

The feel was so different and I felt like everything had to be forced and muscled.

That feeling went away after about 100 miles or so.

C O N F I D E N C E !!!!!!

That is key to joyful trike riding. Not over confidence though. Just because it is a trike it does not give you carte' -blanc over attention levels.

You will get used to it just keep on riding.

Well Said! :thumbup:

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Hi Guys,
I know I only have own a trike for 6 months but just want to know something. I just finished a ride Saturday and we ran thru about 13 miles of switch backs with a posted speed sign of about 15 to 20MPH. First I could not keep up with the 2 wheelers even going 15 over the posted speed. I do have the rake kit as well. Second my arms and back felt like rubber when I was done. I know I am not very strong but is this a common feeling when running hot thru that many twisties? Or am I doing something wrong. I have used the advise how to take them on from the board but it really seems like work and not fun, like when I was on the 2 wheel version it was pure fun and not tiring at all. And George about the Dyna beads at 62 thru 68 the same feeling was there so I can not give the thumbs up on them yet. Maybe I need to had some more to the rear. But any advise would be greatly appreciated on taking the switch backs without so much work involved. Other then going slower which I did try and it did help a little. Thanks in advance.
I see one thing here that should not be - trying to keep up with the two wheelers. That means you are tense and working to keep up. That's not what its all about. Comfort is. So is safety. So, first, RIDE YOU OWN RIDE. As you gain experience, the rest will come. That said, it DOES take more energy to ride a trike in the twisties, but they are more comfortable. If you wanna go like hell, get a pocket rocket. They don't take Winnebagos to the drag strip.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
trying to keep up with the two wheelers. That means you are tense and working to keep up. That's not what its all about. Comfort is. So is safety. So, first, RIDE YOU OWN RIDE. As you gain experience, the rest will come. That said, it DOES take more energy to ride a trike in the twisties, but they are more comfortable. If you wanna go like hell, get a pocket rocket.
Take in some good air, seat back,and ride, your tense up, put fun back into riding, slow down, smell the rose's, Life is to short...look around a little, you'll see things you never sew on a two wheeler.....Emmitt

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I see one thing here that should not be - trying to keep up with the two wheelers. That means you are tense and working to keep up. That's not what its all about. Comfort is. So is safety. So, first, RIDE YOU OWN RIDE. As you gain experience, the rest will come. That said, it DOES take more energy to ride a trike in the twisties, but they are more comfortable. If you wanna go like hell, get a pocket rocket. They don't take Winnebagos to the drag strip.
Harry, keeping up with two wheelers is tiring. I keep up with my buddies, but they ride crusers so no big problem. Sometimes I take my Bandit 1250 and that is a different story. :22yikes:

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Harry, keeping up with two wheelers is tiring. I keep ut with my buddies, but they ride crusers so no big problem Sometimes I take my Bandit 1250 and that is a different story. :22yikes:
I completely agree. If we wanna play games, I yank out the Beemer. But most of the guys I ride with have gray hair, and have learned something along the road. So, is go with the flow, don't worry about stuff you cannot fix, and enjoy the journey. We will all get to our destination sometime. I just want to do it grinnin'.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Harry, keeping up with two wheelers is tiring. :22yikes:
But it's more tiring for them to try and keep up with me when I feel like pushing it. (which is most of the time)

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
It is NOT you. We have all gone thru the same probs...but yes, a true switchback (like we have in Colorado mountains) will tax your skills and muscles...until you ride, ride, ride and get used to your trike. After that time period, you will think you died and went to Heaven:)

When Timm's Trikes rebuilt my Lehman trike this past Fall, I mentioned the fact of my upper body being exhausted after a Club ride in Colorado. When I picked it up, he, even without my permission, had already installed the riser kit for my handlebars. He claims it makes the math a lot easier for steering. I, unfortunately, loaded the trike in MN and pulled home to CO. and parked it. Can't wait to see if he is correct, but...for $35 it was worth a try.

The older we get, we all lose a little muscle tone: While watching TV at night, I simply use two 5 lb. barbells and do curls: don't even care how many...do it until it hurts. It may take you a week before the next morning pains aren't there, but it is well worth the time and effort. I think it helps my snow skiing, too:) OFten, ride safely. Does your SO go with AND enjoy?? Johnny
I have to second Johnny and his installer on the Risers.
If you think about it..... with the stock bar position....
most find their hands down closer to waist height than to shoulder height.
When you push at something down near your waist it's pretty awkward and you are using your arms only.
When you put on risers and move the grips up towards your shoulder height...
you use your shoulders and back along with your arms to push the bars....
and that is a world of difference.
I have my reg-risers "wedge angle" trimmed to allow the bars to be even higher than their standard highest setting.
I even modified the risers to allow the bars to spread a little more so there was even more leverage when pushing the bar ends.
Sure, I can tell I'm using more muscle power on the twisties.....but a couple of trips up and down the 318 curves of the Dragon don't bother me much with the higher and wider bar setup.
With the bars up and out....unless you have extra long arms....
you cannot shove the bars to the lock if you are slouched down and leaned back. I need to be sitting up straight when doing those sharp parking lot or U-turn in the middle of the block type turns.....BUT....
I don't slouch when I'm doing that sort of thing anyway. :lol:
I've done several 3-4000 mile trips (including Texas Hill country, Natchez Trace, Tail of the Dragon, Cherahola Parkway, Striped Snake, Blue Ridge, etc; etc;) with the modified bar position, and I am sold on it's benefits!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Had the Kury. riser on it from the beginning so I really don't know what it would have been without them. I will just not just try and keep up with them at this present time until I get stronger on my upper body.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Take in some good air, seat back,and ride, your tense up, put fun back into riding, slow down, smell the rose's, Life is to short...look around a little, you'll see things you never sew on a two wheeler.....Emmitt
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
The 2 wheelers are nice but when it comes to the trikes I think Emmitt puts it all in the right perspective.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts