GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone told me that stabil should not be used for fuel injection, just wanted to make sure I didnt mess up my Gold Wing.
Thanks Mike

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
used according to the can, it should be fine, but I think there are better products, Amsoil makes a great fuel treatment/stabilizer, and then there is Sea foam, a standard for Motorcycle maintenance/storage for years.

·
Vendor
17,403 Posts
Follow the instructions on the bottle. Make sure it is made for fuel injection.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I use Marine Stabil as it has twice the stuff in it as regular.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I used it once and it didn't work at all. I did according to instructions and let my old KZ1000 sit 6 months. The gas was so stale in the carbs the pilot jets were all clogged. After that I saw no sense in using it again. The carbs would always have gas stored in the bowls and go stale. Fuel injection is not carbs, thankfully and gas can sit for quite some time without problem. I'd be surprised if 1yr sit would be a problem, so I would not use it.

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
I used it once and it didn't work at all. I did according to instructions and let my old KZ1000 sit 6 months. The gas was so stale in the carbs the pilot jets were all clogged. After that I saw no sense in using it again. The carbs would always have gas stored in the bowls and go stale. Fuel injection is not carbs, thankfully and gas can sit for quite some time without problem. I'd be surprised if 1yr sit would be a problem, so I would not use it.
Did you run the motor long enough after properly mixing the sabil w/the gas to get it into the carbs or did you just pour it in the tank!
Been using stabile for more years than I care to tell and it does what it should do if used properly.
It is fine for any gasoline or 2cycle motor.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I have used it in several gas engines. All have always started right up. Living in Florida and being away for awhile these past years year I attempted to start my generator up for hurricane season. It was stored with 1/2 tank of gas that I put stabil in a few years ago. It started on the third pull. Needless to say the battery was dead and had to be hand started.

I have used it in all my bikes when I leave them for extended times without any problems and all have started right up. I swear by it for extended storage.:bow:

·
Registered
566 Posts
On a cycle with carbs, if you choose to shut the fuel off or you have a diaphram shut off, you need to drain the float bowls or your fuel will evaporate and leave a varnish whether you use Stabil or some other fuel additive.
Jakec

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I use it in all my gas engines except my cars and am very pleased with it. Everything has started first pull or crank after sitting for 5-6 months, my Goldwing included. To clarify, I am speaking of the regular red Sta-Bil.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Someone told me that stabil should not be used for fuel injection, just wanted to make sure I didnt mess up my Gold Wing.
Thanks Mike

I have used Stabil in my 2008 GL each winter since purchase. I also used it for 12 years in my 1999 Kawa Nomad (105K at sale). No problems.

snappa

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
I use Marine Stabil as it has twice the stuff in it as regular.
I have never had a problem using the regular amount of the regular. i have over 10 items I use it in, but they all have carburators

You must of did something wrong!

I have used it in several gas engines. All have always started right up. Living in Florida and being away for awhile these past years year I attempted to start my generator up for hurricane season. It was stored with 1/2 tank of gas that I put stabil in a few years ago. It started on the third pull. Needless to say the battery was dead and had to be hand started.

I have used it in all my bikes when I leave them for extended times without any problems and all have started right up. I swear by it for extended storage.:bow:
I just started my generator that had at least 2 year old gas in it. I used it long enough that I burnt all the 2 year old gas out and never missed a lick, but once again it was a carburetor !

I think I'll put some in the GW and see what your friend know!:eek:4:

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Store a Goldwing????????????????????????:wrong::wrong:

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
I have never used Stabil or any other gas preservative. I see them as a scam.

I will now echo many of the posts above but with one or two words changed.

I have NOT used Stabil in my 2002 GL each winter since purchase. I also NEVER used it for 10 years in my 2001 Kawa Prairie. No problems.

I DO NOT use it in all my gas engines INCLUDING my cars and am very pleased withOUT it. Everything has started first pull or crank after sitting for 5-6 months, my Goldwing included. To clarify, I am speaking of the regular red Sta-Bil (which is a scam).

......this year I DID NOT attempt to start my generator up for welding my trailer which was out of reach of electricity. It [the generator] was stored with 1/2 tank of gas that I DID NOT put stabil in a few [four] years ago. It started on THE FIRST PULL NOT the third pull [which is why I said above that I did not attempt to start my generator because it started right up].

I have NEVER used it in all my bikes when I leave them for extended times without any problems and all have started right up. I swear AT it for extended storage.

I think you get the point...... I live in NE Ohio and have my share of long brutal winters and my mower starts up every spring like clockwork. I suffered an illness in 2006 which kept me off my wing for 13 months. Started right up.

·
Registered
878 Posts
When I have used anything it's been a couple tablespoons of Marvel Mystery oil... I used it mostly to help prevent rust forming in the tank.... GL1800 having a plastic tank makes it a moot thing... My ole GL1200 started up each spring just like it had been run a day earlier... I have never run into issues with gas going "stale"... If you run the gas out of the carbs prior to storing, then you are likley not going to have issues...

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
Thanks for all the replies, should I have the tank full when I put the bike away for the winter?
Mike
When the weather forecast says snowy/icy and I am low on gas, I pour in the appropriate amount of Stabil. Fill up the tank and take a 15min. ride to make sure the mix is completely through the fuel system. Park it and plug in the Battery Tender.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks everone I will be sure to fill the tank and take it for a ride with the stabil in it before I put it away for the winter.
Mike

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
stabil

I've used stabil for years. I recently replaced my RED with the GREEN Stabil. It is my understanding that the green is better if your gas has ethanol added. I like how the people from warmer climates, that probably don't store vehicles for extended periods, tend to be so absolutely certain about what is good for those that do.

Richard

1 - 20 of 25 Posts