GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am original owner of a 2006 GL1800 (premium sound only) with around 52K. Have demo'd the Roadsmith trike and like it.
Do you think it is worth it to install trike conversion on a bike with that mileage?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I am original owner of a 2006 GL1800 (premium sound only) with around 52K. Have demo'd the Roadsmith trike and like it.
Do you think it is worth it to install trike conversion on a bike with that mileage?

52K isn't high mileage on a wing. Since you are the original owner and know the history of the bike I'd go for it.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
If your 06 is in real good shape, go for it.
You have had it since new and put on average miles a year.
Should be good for many more years of riding
It will be cheaper then buying a new wing/trike.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
It took 8 years to put 52K on a bike that is good for 300K, I think you are good. I was worried last year with a 01 with 45K, pulled the trigger and have not regretted it. I could have traded up but mine was paid for and I knew what I had. It's your call but I think if you have have a good bike go for it. :doorag:

·
Registered
522 Posts
If you like what you have now, sure... save some money. Proper maintenance and you'll get many more miles of smiles. I have a 2003 & put my Roadsmith on it in 2011 at 36,000 miles and still love it.... welcome to the trike world!!! Just make sure you REALLY get the options you want, some are very hard to add later. And find a great installer, as important as your great kit...

·
Registered
734 Posts
Ted, I had 75K plus on my '06 when I converted nearly three years ago. Since then I've added close to 40K. As others have said... If you like the bike then don't hesitate to ad the Roadsmith conversion.

ENJOY !!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
trike kits

I just got done last week triking my 06 wing with 22k miles. It has comfort, navi, etc. I went with the csc (Calif. Side Car ), the Cobra Xl. My opinion, the best I have seen and driven. I went with 6 degree rake. I am on 2nd wing and expect 125,000 miles easily. My 84 had 138k and running when I sold that.

Before buying I drove 6 different ones. They are all different. The CSC seems like the widest and best suspension.

Good luck either way, and sunny side up.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I agree with the others. As long as you're happy with your bike and she has no issues, it'll definitely be worth while triking her. I have 42,00 on my 05 and have no intentions of replacing her with another.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info. Others that I ride with have said the same but it is good to hear it from owner's who were in same situation, have done it and have had success.
Will let you know what I do.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
I've got an '06 with about the same mileage. I had it triked last September. I got the Roadsmith HT1800. I thought about selling it then buying something used but newer. Like others have said, I know the history of my bike.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Trke conversion

I just triked mine with an HTS Roadsmith kit and I have 124K on mine. Am I missing something? Love the looks of the HTS kit by the way. A lot nicer looking back end and the running boards are really nice! Left Full View 2.jpg Full Rear.jpg

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I had an '08 with 110,000 miles and was told that Dodd in Alabama would not trike one with over 50K miles. I think you would be good to go. We now have a new '12 with a CSC Viper, the blue one. I have put over 18K on it and the SO loves it. Have fun and be safe.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Trike

If that were my bike I wouldn't have a problem having a trike kit added to my bike. You have very little miles on your 06. Go for it. I think you will be well pleased with your new trike. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

·
Registered
522 Posts
These seem to be the closest 4 dealers, and the 3rd choice looks to be the best. They do Roadsmith conversions and they are a Honda Dealer so they would most likely have no warranty problems on either the bike or the kit you pick / HT1800 or the new HTS1800 both use the same frame work kit... just body and wing guard differences.

Route 84 Enterprises
Central Square
NY
315-668-9601
-
105 Miles
2-3-4 Motorsports
Milesburg
PA
814-355-0777
-
143 Miles
Steve Seltzer Powersports
Altoona
PA
814-944-5303
-
171 Miles
J and B Custom Cycles
New Manchester
WV
304-564-4440
-
210 Miles

Mileage from your ZIP - 14020

FYI

·
Registered
889 Posts
Absolutely, Ted. If you are confident with and like your '06, there is no reason to be hesitant about triking it. I bought my '06 used from a fellow i was acquainted with and had it triked (RoadSmith kit) in January of 2011. The Wing didn't have that many miles on the clock, but it was five years old at the time. I have absolutely no regrets, with either the Wing or the RoadSmith kit. We have had no problems with either, and we have thoroughly enjoyed the ride. I'm not a youngster anymore, but there is no doubt that this machine will last longer than my wife and I are likely to be able to safely ride it. We love it. The Wing is in my opinion the very best platform for a trike, and I personally consider that the RoadSmith is the best choice for a trike kit. It's not the only good kit, but it's the best IMO.

In your case, you would be starting with a machine that you personally know. That's better for me than one that's new, either brand new or new to you. That Wing has an easy 150 thousand more miles ahead of it if it's in good shape and well taken care of along the way!

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I am about to do just this, with a few more miles than you. I would rather keep my used and well known oil plug crush washer than trade for a new washer. ;)

These bikes well taken care of can easily go 200K, an alternator here, a switch there, a few plugs and all is well. No need to support the tax man and the pockets of the dealers.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I triked my '01 at about 175,000 miles and never regretted doing it. Runs and looks good as new.
Well over 200,000 miles now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts