GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new 2012 Red Level four and I've added a few options here and there. One of them is the Kuryakyn Clutch/Brake Drink Holder with Basket. It's mounted on the clutch plate and works fine. Yesterday at a stop light, I noticed that when the handlebars are straight, the drink holder covers 20-25% of the airbag cover. What's the result if an accident occurs? The airbag can't deploy properly? The drink holder gets rammed up my nose? I'm thinking I might need to remove the darn thing? Any other airbaggers doing something different?

Attachments

·
Registered
453 Posts
Nose rings are poplar nowdays, but I bet you could find an easier way to get it inserted.:?
On the serious side, do you like the cupholder if you did not have an airbag?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I have a 06 airbag model and the dealer moved my cup holder from the old goldwing to the new one. I asked him if it was in the way of the airbag and his answer was no, the air bag would push it to the side and work as expected. So those who write with not experince, are just like a--holes, everyone has one Enjoy your bike and ride.

DanL

·
Registered
425 Posts
Not sure about the OP's cup holder, but I garr on teee the one in storm's pic is!

Poor feller beside her looks like he's bout to trip on his own chin! Would like a cup holder like that myself! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I have a 06 airbag model and the dealer moved my cup holder from the old goldwing to the new one. I asked him if it was in the way of the airbag and his answer was no, the air bag would push it to the side and work as expected. So those who write with not experince, are just like a--holes, everyone has one Enjoy your bike and ride.

DanL

My opinion, your dealer is an idiot. Have you seen the speed that the GL airbags deploy ?? The force of deployment will shear anything in it's path from the bars and firmly plant it in your sternum. The warning in the owners manual to keep the airbag path clear is one that I do believe is for your safety, not just lawyer speak.

·
Registered
8,184 Posts

DanL
And just what experience does your dealer have concerning this matter? I would venture to say he has "absolutely none".
Good luck if you believe everything your dealer tells you. Lots of dealers will tell you that the GW 1800 never had a frame cracking problem, overheating problem, etc. etc. :roll:

·
Registered
494 Posts
cup holder

Kuryakin makes a mount for that,
It goes in one of the Pass handles
right behind your r cheek
it is a safer place for you in the event of the bag deployment
kennyU

·
Registered
297 Posts

DanL
:wrong:
I have the experience..

Your dealer is a dangerous idiot. I have tested (deployed) in the neighborhood of 500 airbags, including Honda's. ANYTHING in the way could become a 150+ mph projectile or possibly worse, compromise the airbag performance in some way. Either way you are making a bad situation (accident) worse..Move the cup holder..
Next time you see some person with their feet up on the dash in the car next to you, think of them having their legs hit them square in the face at 150+mph..It happens..

·
Registered
19,462 Posts
Nothing should be in the way of the air bag deployment besides YOU

·
Registered
24,624 Posts

DanL
Last time I checked I had an A............ Never had a bike with an airbag, but do have a lot of experience with common sense.

Some people in this life do not have a clue. Some dealers are about as bright as a burned out candle.

Anything in the way of the deployment of the airbag is not good. It can deflect , rip, destroy the airbag or ram the offending cup holder into your head.

The air bag itself will not harm you other than a burn or bruise, but put something solid it can push and rip off and throw, it is coming right at you. FAST!!

I would enter your dealer in the idiot of the year competition. :frown:

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
In 17+ years of workin wrecks, I have never seen an airbag break bones in the forearm. Leave burns? Yes. Broken bones? Nope.
30 yrs in miami fire rescue ; broken forearms????????????? ah never heard of it

·
Registered
268 Posts
Watch the slow motion deployment and it appears the cup holder may be just inside the air bag trajectory and if the bars were turned at all to the left you might wanna not be sitting there when it goes off.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
In 17+ years of workin wrecks, I have never seen an airbag break bones in the forearm. Leave burns? Yes. Broken bones? Nope.
I've seen a broken nose once, though I suspect the guy had a finger in it when it happened.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Don't you love it when people with no experience run their typewriter keys. A dealer is responsible for anything they install. Second if you watched the video, the airbag deploys up not back, so the cup holder would be pushed and toward the front of the bike as it deploys. Then you had the airbags break arms. I was in a bad accident in my pickup and the airbag deployed. I did not break any bones not to mention my arms. I think most of these experts are anti-airbag anyway so they spread their mis-information. Enjoy your holder as you ride. Never read about a rider or driver being killed by flying cup holder.

Dan L

1 - 20 of 48 Posts