GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swapped out my rear wheel on my 2010 with a new 2010 trikeoff and after install I started the bike and I noticed the TPMS light never came on. The original rear tire is nowheres near the bike, infact it's 10 miles away. So I began to think maybe it was a sensor with same frequency or something. I then let all the air out of the front tire and started the bike and the light still didn't come on so now I'm looking for a explaination on how this TPMS works. Does the bike need to be rolling for the sensors to function or should they work with bike standing and motor running?:shrug: The lights come on when key is first turned on.:shrug: Anyone understand this system?:shrug:

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I swapped out my rear wheel on my 2010 with a new 2010 trikeoff and after install I started the bike and I noticed the TPMS light never came on. The original rear tire is nowheres near the bike, infact it's 10 miles away. So I began to think maybe it was a sensor with same frequency or something. I then let all the air out of the front tire and started the bike and the light still didn't come on so now I'm looking for a explaination on how this TPMS works. Does the bike need to be rolling for the sensors to function or should they work with bike standing and motor running?:shrug: The lights come on when key is first turned on.:shrug: Anyone understand this system?:shrug:
The transceiver (sensor) in the new wheel must be registered with the system. Although I am not sure if you have to take it to the dealer to do this. If no one else steps up with tips, you might try PMing rmcapozi. He also has some post about the TPMS systems on the "How To" forum.

Edit: here is a link to one of rmcapozzi's posts - http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3397888&postcount=10

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bump
Anybody out there know the 2010 Honda OEM TPMS and how it works??:shrug:

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bike has to be rolling...I run 34 in a c/t and my light does not come on for about a 1/4 mile.
So the same goes with new wheel with diff sensor not tripping light until rolling or should it sence diff wheel right away?:shrug:

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
How long of a ride did you go on?

It took my system a good 15-20 minutes to "give up" waiting on a signal from the wheel sensor. The TPMS light finally came on. No matter of air pressure change will cause the low pressure indicator light to come on if the sensor itself isn't registering with the onboard TPMS "brain".

Perhaps you were VERY VERY lucky and got a wheel sensor with the exact same code as the original one. If so, you should play the lottery. :nojoke:

Additionally, the wheel sensors have a "park" mode. When they have been static (not moving) for seven minutes. The sensor will change from "park" mode to "Riding" mode after the motorcycle is moving for 20 seconds and at a speed over 9mph.

There is a "test" mode that allows you to test the system without the motorcycle moving. To put the sensors in "test" mode, you must inflate the tire(s) to 55psi for 1 minute. The sensors in the 55psi tire(s) will then transmit signals to the onboard TPMS "brain" every 20 seconds. You can then deflate the tire(s) to the appropriate pressures and see if you get indicator warnings. To avoid the wheel sensor batteries from wearing out, when you are done testing, you need to ride the bike up to 9mph to change the mode of the sensor back to "riding". The sensors will then turn off after seven minutes of inactivity.

Putting the wheel sensors into "test" mode however will not speed up the time the onboard TPMS brain will wait to get a signal from the wheel sensor. This is what you are experiencing and only time (should be within a 20 minutes of riding) will get you a TPMS indicator with the swapped out wheel sensor.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How long of a ride did you go on?

It took my system a good 15-20 minutes to "give up" waiting on a signal from the wheel sensor. The TPMS light finally came on. No matter of air pressure change will cause the low pressure indicator light to come on if the sensor itself isn't registering with the onboard TPMS "brain".

Perhaps you were VERY VERY lucky and got a wheel sensor with the exact same code as the original one. If so, you should play the lottery. :nojoke:

Additionally, the wheel sensors have a "park" mode. When they have been static (not moving) for seven minutes. The sensor will change from "park" mode to "Riding" mode after the motorcycle is moving for 20 seconds and at a speed over 9mph.

There is a "test" mode that allows you to test the system without the motorcycle moving. To put the sensors in "test" mode, you must inflate the tire(s) to 55psi for 1 minute. The sensors in the 55psi tire(s) will then transmit signals to the onboard TPMS "brain" every 20 seconds. You can then deflate the tire(s) to the appropriate pressures and see if you get indicator warnings. To avoid the wheel sensor batteries from wearing out, when you are done testing, you need to ride the bike up to 9mph to change the mode of the sensor back to "riding". The sensors will then turn off after seven minutes of inactivity.

Putting the wheel sensors into "test" mode however will not speed up the time the onboard TPMS brain will wait to get a signal from the wheel sensor. This is what you are experiencing and only time (should be within a 20 minutes of riding) will get you a TPMS indicator with the swapped out wheel sensor.
I haven't taken it out for a ride yet. So the new sensor will not trip the light until the bike is moving or should it trip light just by just leting it run in my garage?

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
The bike must be moving for 20 seconds AND at a speed greater than 9mph before you will receive any TPMS indicators UNLESS you put the system into "Test" mode. Until then, the wheel sensors (and the TPMS onboard brain) are fat, dumb, and happy knowing nothing about anything.

Once you get above 9mph, you'll see the TPMS light illuminate within about 15 minutes and stay lit because it is not receiving a signal from the rear TPMS sensor. The rear wheel TPMS sensor will be signalling away but on the wrong "channel". You'll need to register the TPMS wheel sensor on the new rim to the onboard TPMS brain.

Oh and the onboard TPMS brain can only store 2 wheel sensors at a time so everytime you switch rear rims, you'll need to re-register the wheel sensors. This can be done in about 5-10 minutes using the ATEQ VT15 (~100).

I haven't taken it out for a ride yet. So the new sensor will not trip the light until the bike is moving or should it trip light just by just leting it run in my garage?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks RM for the info. I will taken the girl out for a stroll tomorrow so we'll see what happens! Thanks again:thumbup:

·
Vendor
22,083 Posts
You can easily test the system to see if the sensors are both registered properly. You short the connector under the seat and then turn on the ignition. Both the TPMS and LOW Tire pressure light will come on.

You then ride the bike a few miles. When it receives the front tire pressure signal, the LOW TIRE pressure light will go OUT to indicate it sees the signal from that sensor. When it sees the signal from the rear tire sensor, the TPMS light will go OUT.

If one of the sensors is not properly registered, then the light for that sensor won't go out.

See page 21-26 of the ETM.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You can easily test the system to see if the sensors are both registered properly. You short the connector under the seat and then turn on the ignition. Both the TPMS and LOW Tire pressure light will come on.

You then ride the bike a few miles. When it receives the front tire pressure signal, the LOW TIRE pressure light will go OUT to indicate it sees the signal from that sensor. When it sees the signal from the rear tire sensor, the TPMS light will go OUT.

If one of the sensors is not properly registered, then the light for that sensor won't go out.

See page 21-26 of the ETM.
Thanks for the tips guys. I'll be taken the girl for a ride today so I'll see what happens.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
If the new sensor isn't registered the TPMS will not work. I don't know about the Honda but for the Kawasaki TPMS you need the number of the sensor to register it and thats on the unit in the tire. Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Took the wing out for a spin and 10 miles into the ride the TPM light came on so the new rear wheel sensor isn't matched but I now know the TPMS works. I'll have to get Fred H to give me the link to where he bought his gismo to add and remove new TPMS sensors. Thank guys for all the info.:bow::bow::bow::thumbup:

·
Vendor
22,083 Posts
Took the wing out for a spin and 10 miles into the ride the TPM light came on so the new rear wheel sensor isn't matched but I now know the TPMS works. I'll have to get Fred H to give me the link to where he bought his gismo to add and remove new TPMS sensors. Thank guys for all the info.:bow::bow::bow::thumbup:
You can buy the tool direct from Tire Rack.

Click here: http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=169

The VT15 has replaced the older model (VT10) I have, but it will work just fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts