GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning on a ride my 06 Wing started making noises that are not normal. When traveling at high speeds -65-70 mph, if I let off the throttle a little bit, or if I pull the clutch in, I get a rattle/chatter sound. Cant tell where its coming from but my guess is the transmission. And it only does it at higher speeds, doesnt happen below 50 mph or so. My fear is the 5th gear is going out, but I know nothing about transmissions. Stopped by the Honda shop and one of the mechanics test rode it and said it could be the tranny, the clutch or possibly the drive shaft u joints. But he wanted the mechanic that is a pro on the Goldwings to listen to it Monday morning. My fear is Im going to be shelling out some big bucks for a repair. Not to mention Americade trip is quickly approaching.
Anyone have any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
noise

If you are really lucky, it will be the final drive ( rear end ) or the drive shaft which are both available cheap from a trike take-off and simple to change. The other suspects are the ADG ( Alternator drive gear ), or the transmission. Both require the engine to come out of the frame, but the ADG is still the less expensive fix. Good luck.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
If you are really lucky, it will be the final drive ( rear end ) or the drive shaft which are both available cheap from a trike take-off and simple to change. The other suspects are the ADG ( Alternator drive gear ), or the transmission. Both require the engine to come out of the frame, but the ADG is still the less expensive fix. Good luck.
The bike is a 2006, so I doubt it's the ADG.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I don't know your travel info but East Coast Honda in Bensalem,Pa. has done several tranny's that I know of and had them done in a week.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Do not think it is the transmission. Generally rear drive will make noise at all speeds.

Sounds like the drive shaft to me. Just for kicks put it on the center stand in 1st gear and hold a pencil or something somewhere along the rear rim, move the rim by hand. See how much drive lash you have, if much more than 1.25 inches it is excessive. Of course it can chatter even if the lash is correct.

Sounds like the drive line to me. Noise showing up when you let off the throttle, does indicate the drive line.

·
Registered
20,944 Posts
Try it on the centerstand
:agree: If it's a driveshaft problem it will definitely make unusual noise running in gear on the center stand, been there and done that myself, another clue is vision in mirrors will not be as clear as it used to be

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
my Alternator drive gear went on my 03. the way you are suggesting the sound is not the same as mine. it was still 3600 dollars to repair. at least i know it will not go again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts