1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
i was told last week it is except for the last 1.5 miles then its packed gravel

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Oh great !!!! They put the gravel part where you can fall 14,000 feet !!! :shock: :eek:4: :wrong:

·
Registered
47 Posts
I rode it two summers ago. If I remember correctly it is tar, gravel, tar, gravel. The last part is gravel for sure but I think there is a part in the middle that was worn away and is gravel because of lack of funds to pave it.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Well about a while back it was packed gravel near the top. All the way to Devils Playground it is paved. Took a 750 Honda all the way with no problems.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
As of August 2009 it was not really gravel but more like tightly packed dirt and easy to ride on, without any slippage even with our big girl, now the parking lot at the top is another thing all together, it’s not so tightly packed, more like dirt with some gravel in it....

All in all it is well worth the ride to the top, and if you get fog and some snow as I did wile at the top inside of the store, you’ll love having what little gravel under you as you start back down...

I only remember about 100 yards from the top as not having pavement on it and then a section about a half mile long further down that was tightly packed dirt...

If you watch my two videos you’ll get a pretty good idea what you’ll be heading into...

The temperature was 89 F as I started up and 29 F when I got to the top...

Sorry about the like of engine noise in the first video but YouTube didn’t like my choice of music that was on my iPod so I got to use theirs...

·
Immortal Member
3,084 Posts
If a little gravel on Pikes might bother you then you should do Mt. Evans.

It's paved all the way to the top!

Mt.Evans is the highest paved road in America and the 2nd highest in the world.

Evans is higher than Pikes and cheaper to ride also.

I'm personally not a big fan of Pikes as the city of Co Springs owns and runs the toll road going up and just gouges the tourists for access.

Got to make money somehow!

Mt. Evans is free to ride if you are just riding up and back down without leaving your vehicle.

If you do set foot on the mountain top it'll cost you a whole 3 bucks for motorcycles.

I recommend a climb to the top of Evans once you reach the parking lot at the top, it's about a 100 yard climb and then you can tell all your friends back home that you climbed a 14er when you were out here!

Strangely enough the Sierra Club sued the city of COS to make them pave Pikes as the dust from the traffic up the mountain was causing a severe environmental impact on the surrounding country side.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Several years ago on my GL1500 pulling a Kwik Kamp during the heat of the summer, we went up Pikes Peak....stop and go traffic up to the toll booth then dropped the trailer for the ride up...Bike was already hot from the stop and go.....started up the mountain and got behind a slow mover....pulled the clutch and....nothing....pumped it a few times and got clutch back.....whew.....drove up to the lake and parked for about 30 minutes to let the bike cool off, then made it to the top with no further problems....changed the clutch fluid when I got back home and never had any more problems with it.....Ride up to the top is not a problem, just keep focused on the road....Ride back down is not a problem....stop and play in the snow on the way down and dont ride the brakes....they check your brakes at the halfway point on the way down and if they are too hot, have you pull over....they use a lazer device to check the heat of the rotors etc....Have fun....

Rip

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
I'm personally not a big fan of Pikes as the city of Co Springs owns and runs the toll road going up and just gouges the tourists for access.

Mt. Evans is free to ride if you are just riding up and back down without leaving your vehicle.

If you do set foot on the mountain top it'll cost you a whole 3 bucks for motorcycles.

I recommend a climb to the top of Evans once you reach the parking lot at the top, it's about a 100 yard climb and then you can tell all your friends back home that you climbed a 14er when you were out here!

Strangely enough the Sierra Club sued the city of COS to make them pave Pikes as the dust from the traffic up the mountain was causing a severe environmental impact on the surrounding country side.
Yes, and that suit is the reason that they have to charge so much for the visit. The money to do the paving has to come from somewhere.

Only 1 and 1/2 miles not paved. Not a biggie unless it rains/snows.
I like Mt. Evans, but what makes Pikes Peak stand-out is the fact that it is right on the front range and looks right down on Colorado Springs, whereas Mt. Evans has more mountains between it and the flatlands.

I recommend both!

·
Immortal Member
3,084 Posts
Yes, and that suit is the reason that they have to charge so much for the visit. The money to do the paving has to come from somewhere.
You're absolutely right Dave. Plus new pavement is nice to ride also. Think they'll pave the parking area?

Wonder if they'll face the same problem with frost heave that Evans has.

And the money thing is just because I'm insufferably cheap.

I recommend both!
I still want to do that in one day.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Guess I'm telling my age, but when I was in high school me and two of my buddies went most of the way up in an old Model T. In reverse 95% of the way. Took allmost all day. Coming down was no problem :eek:4::eek:4::eek:4:At that time it was unpaved.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Oh great !!!! They put the gravel part where you can fall 14,000 feet !!! :shock: :eek:4: :wrong:
Not quite. Colorado Springs is somewhere around 5500 feet elevatiion. That only leaves you around 8500 feet to fall.
Be Happy!:joke::joke:

·
Registered
83 Posts
That's not true. You just roll over, and over and over and over and over and over, (you get the point)

And it's only for 9000 feet as Colorado Springs is about 5000' in elevation.

Now that you know the rest of the story you should feel good about going to the top. :superman1:

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Clark the main elevation of Colo Spgs starts around 6,100' and goes up with UP being the operative word. ;)

As far as the roads go Mt. Evans has the highest "Paved" road for the present. However when Pikes Peak gets it's last few yards paved it will have the title. Pikes Peak has the title of Highest US Road (Gravel).

The peaks elevations are a different matter with Mt. Evans being the winner and it has a much higher climb to the summit from the parking lot. On Pikes Peak it is only a few fairly flat steps to the top.

I grew up in the Evergreen area, it isn't a town and never has been, and spent some years on Evans Ranch. Guess where that is.
Now we live at the base of Pikes Peak and I like both mountains for various reasons.
Being a long time user of Mt. Evans and Pikes Peak on many different levels, hike-bicycle-climb-fish-hunt etc, I prefer the view from Mt. Evans and find the recreational access and activities around Pikes Peak to be the best of the two.

For visitors I have to agree with other comments to do both if you can.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Better pack an oxygen tank. You mountain men don't have problems, us fat valley boys suck for air that high.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Some riding buddies of mine are out there right now and they tell me that it has been paved all the way up.

They were on Pikes Peak, Monday and Mt Evans Wednesday.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Hastemaker and his Bride,and I with mine,along with three other couples from La climbed Pike's Peak last Friday (6/10). Two Goldwings and three Ultra Classics. The weather was beautiful and the winds were fairly calm. A few days before, they had 100MPH substained winds at the summit. The gravel part ws not bad because the roads were fairly dry. The construction crews do wet the road down to control the dust. There are a few tight uphill switch-backs going up and as many going down. The view from the top is awesome and well worth the ride up. Plan on two hours for the round trip not counting the time at the top. Just about any road in Colorado is worth the ride. This was my third trip to Colorado and it gets harder to go back to Alabama each time. A big Thank You to wingnutzz for the rides he put together prior to our trip to Colorado. Thanks Dave. Pat

·
Registered
784 Posts
My wife and I rode it during last Sept. Rockies Gold and all but a short portion was paved to the top. Only problem we had was meeting a dually Dodge on the way down on a hairpin in the crushed up part. I would ride it again in a heart beat for sure.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
I guess I can brag to my Grandkids that I rode Pikes Peak back when only the lower half was paved! (And I use to walk 5 miles in the snow just to get to the School Bus...) :p

Videos were nice to watch, but not much to look at for the view at the peak. So here are a few of my still shots when I was there in 2004 on my 1980 Honda CB900C 10-Speed.

Great Satellite reception for the GPS up there!

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
If a little gravel on Pikes might bother you then you should do Mt. Evans.

It's paved all the way to the top!

Mt.Evans is the highest paved road in America and the 2nd highest in the world.

Evans is higher than Pikes and cheaper to ride also.

I agree. A couple of years ago we did this just after the road to the top opened right after Memorial Day. It was 30 degs at the top (if I remember the parking lot is 14,270ft) with winds blowing in excess of 60 mph. Made for an interesting ride up and down with some ice here and there. If you haven't done it in conditions like this, you haven't done it. JMHO

1 - 20 of 33 Posts