GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, another oil controversy for you guys, so enjoy! I have a 2016 Wing with 13K miles and have run Castrol 10W-40 full synthetic MA2 Jaso since my first oil change at 1,000 miles. That is, of course, what the owners manual calls for. However, I still have a boatload of the same Castrol synthetic oil but in 20W-50 instead which was standard oil from my previous bike. So do you guys who really know think that if I run the 20W-50 during the hot summer months, and 10W-40 in colder months, could I possibly do any damage to my engine? I've tried to sell the 20W-50 but no-one is interested, and if I could use it in my Wing without any problems, that would be great. Thanks and be gentile with your responses, ok? Thanks

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I use 15W-50 in mine year around. Never a problem in my '05 (from new) for 150K miles or my '09 now.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Lucas 20w50 synthetic worked really well on our 5k trip to Tuscon. You have to make sure to shift positively.

You could use 2 qts of each during summer use for a compromise.

I am using 3 qts Castrol 10w40 syn + 1 Lucas 20w50 syn to smooth the shifts all year.

Reactions: Wingnut1945

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very positive answers from all you guys. Especially like Indianawantsme's suggestion of mixing 10W and 20W oils, and if it helps smooth transmission shifts, all the better. The more I use this web site's Forums for good information, the better I like it. Happy New Year to you all!

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Ok, another oil controversy for you guys, so enjoy! I have a 2016 Wing with 13K miles and have run Castrol 10W-40 full synthetic MA2 Jaso since my first oil change at 1,000 miles. That is, of course, what the owners manual calls for. However, I still have a boatload of the same Castrol synthetic oil but in 20W-50 instead which was standard oil from my previous bike. So do you guys who really know think that if I run the 20W-50 during the hot summer months, and 10W-40 in colder months, could I possibly do any damage to my engine? I've tried to sell the 20W-50 but no-one is interested, and if I could use it in my Wing without any problems, that would be great. Thanks and be gentile with your responses, ok? Thanks
I’ve run 20-50 synthetic in the summer with no problems

·
Registered
187 Posts
How many miles are on your Wing?
As the miles pile up and engine clearances increase it makes sense to use a more viscus oil.

On-the-other-hand, liquid cooled engines typically operate at about the same temperature no matter the climate so switching to thicker oil just because you are riding in 100+ degree temperatures doesn't make a lot of sense in a new tight engine.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
How many miles are on your Wing?
As the miles pile up and engine clearances increase it makes sense to use a more viscus oil.

On-the-other-hand, liquid cooled engines typically operate at about the same temperature no matter the climate so switching to thicker oil just because you are riding in 100+ degree temperatures doesn't make a lot of sense in a new tight engine.
My 01 has 164,000 miles still going strong, no ghost shifting use Amsoil 10-30 or 20-50 in summer on long trips also use ZDD plus additive that replaces the Zink that’s been removed or reduced in most oils

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
I ran 20-50 Lucas in my 86 Aspy. Engine and trans noise was very quiet and shifting was super smooth. My mileage suffered, dropping from around 40MPG to 35MPG, but beyond that, I liked it. I haven't run it in the 1800 yet.

·
Love The DCT
12,024 Posts
I ran 20-50 Lucas in my 86 Aspy. Engine and trans noise was very quiet and shifting was super smooth. My mileage suffered, dropping from around 40MPG to 35MPG, but beyond that, I liked it. I haven't run it in the 1800 yet.
JMO but I find it hard to believe your gas mileage would take a 5 mpg hit by merely switching to a 20W-50 wt oil.

:doorag:

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
JMO but I find it hard to believe your gas mileage would take a 5 mpg hit by merely switching to a 20W-50 wt oil.

:doorag:
Don't know what to tell you, that's what I experienced. When we did the next oil change, I went with Mobil1 10W 40 and our mileage went back to around 40MPG. In the 1800, that may not be an issue, but in the 1200, the heavier oil dropped the mileage.

·
Registered
417 Posts
My "03" was a "clunky" shifter from the start, every Honda mc I had ever rode the shifting was smooth so I was a little surprised. experimenting with different oils didn't really deliver the results I hoped for, I finally went with a motorcycle specific in 20-50 and am a happy camper. to your question, in my unmechanical opinion, it will be fine.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I never use synthetic, but in earlier model Gold Wings (not 1800’s) I ran 20w-50 oil. The only problem that I ever had was that often the starter would not engage in temps around freezing. I did the summer winter swap from 10w-40 to 20w-50 for a while, but finally just went to 10w-40 year round.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I am using 3 qts Castrol 10w40 syn + 1 Lucas 20w50 syn to smooth the shifts all year.
I read an article that said you should NOT mix brands of oil. While all the oils' major component are all pretty much the same, the technological developments nowadays are all in the additives package with each brand. So if you mix them you might not get enough of additive X and maybe too much of additive Y. That's what I read anyway.

OTOH, if you're changing your oil every couple of months it's hard for me to think there would be any damage resulting from those change-ups.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts