GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy an '06 or '07 soon with Navi and ABS but wonder if I should get rid of my 2720 Garmin? I would like to hear what some of you think of the built in Navi. Does it work with MapSource?

·
Registered
657 Posts
06 or 07 Nav, is it any good?

For us basic users, the Nav unit is just fine. However, if you really like all the "bells and whistles" of your Garmin 2720, you'd be better off and happier if you bought the base 07.

But if you have to have ABS, you get the Nav, like it or not. Again, to me the integrated Nav is great for my GPS uses, but a lot of the other GPS types don't like it at all, or they live with it and hang their current GPS unit (like your 2720) on the handle bars or over the dash and use both, but primarily their after market GPS. One thing the Honda unit has over those is it's 7 inch screen and good visibility on it while you ride. If you're like me, smile as you ride and (for you) just enjoy the capabilities of your 2720, just mount it where you want and enjoy both.

One other thing you will not be able to use the Mapsource on the Honda Nav, it has it's own 2G card in the trunk and you cannot update it on your PC, which is what annoys the after market GPS users to no end.

Hope this helps.
Dennis

·
Registered
780 Posts
I really like mine but I have only had limited use of it. It is good and has lots of options when programing. I am sure that there are better units out there but this one has all the bells and whistles that I need.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
unfortunatly it looks like the poll that was here on if the navi unit was any good was deleted. This board is getting freaking rediculous that folks can't converse in an adult manner, but no they got to be Fing children about it and call each other names and make the posts nasty, which forces the uppers here to delete the posts. A freaking shame....

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
FUSE said:
unfortunatly it looks like the poll that was here on if the navi unit was any good was deleted. This board is getting freaking rediculous that folks can't converse in an adult manner, but no they got to be Fing children about it and call each other names and make the posts nasty, which forces the uppers here to delete the posts. A freaking shame....
Are you thinking of the NAVI poll in the GPS/ MP3 electronic section of the board ...... :? :?

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
You can't take it into a restaurant to tweak on over lunch when on a tour. You cannot move it to another vehicle. The maps a proprietory, your passenger cannot use it when travelling. I bet there are a lot of other pros and cons out there. Also if you want ABS you get it whether you like it or not. I think it's just another a Honda marketing trick as the ABS and the NAV are totally unrelated to each other.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Tony in AZ said:
FUSE said:
Are you thinking of the NAVI poll in the GPS/ MP3 electronic section of the board ...... :? :?
LOLOLOL, theres my great attention to detail. I was totally wrong. I take back some of what I said now. For the original poster, go to the GPS Forum and you will see a poll about if the NAVI System sucks. Has some opinions in there.

·
Registered
657 Posts
For the rest of you...

Actually the Nav is not a total waste to a lot of us, it is amazing that I can still find my way around the country without having to micromanage a trip. For my use, just as a guide it works. See my three posts on page 3 of the aforementioned "poll" and posts on the "...Honda Nav sucks" topic. I laid out on my third one on that page why you can't please everybody, someone is going to be left out or overlooked, and for the most part it just can't be helped. BUT...I recognize that there is a lot of disappointment the way it was "packaged" and while I sympathize to an extent, the overall scenario meant that Honda was not going to please everybody and that is exactly what happened, they were not going to win no matter what on this one. Think of it guys a possible 95 combinations to try and please everyone...ain't going to happen.
Dennis

·
Registered
226 Posts
Chris,
I have an 06' with the ABS full package which includes the GPS. The built- in GPS is good for basic navigation and includes a decent POI data base. It does not allow for creating a route on your computer using Mapsource and transferring to the GPS. If you do poker rides or want to plan a complicated route it's a real pain to program but it can be done. I also have the 2720 I use for those times I want to pre-plan a more complicated route. I have pre-ordered a Zumo550 as my wife has decided that she want's the 2720 for herself.
So bottom line is buy either the 06' or 07' and keep your 2720 handy.
Terry

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Those were on purpose, weren't they? :lol:

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
FUSE said:
Tony in AZ said:
FUSE said:
LOLOLOL, theres my great attention to detail. I was totally wrong. I take back some of what I said now. For the original poster, go to the GPS Forum and you will see a poll about if the NAVI System sucks. Has some opinions in there.
We understand...... you ride a sport bike now. LOL

:arrow: :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
871 Posts
Hey Hawgwild,

I just picked mine up yesterday!

I've always used my 276C on other bikes (and ATV's). Although I have to admit; on my way home yesterday I didn't get lost with the stock unit. :D

Also how could any product with a 176 page manual be ALL bad??? :lol:

Lance

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
BigBird05 said:
I am looking to buy an '06 or '07 soon with Navi and ABS but wonder if I should get rid of my 2720 Garmin? I would like to hear what some of you think of the built in Navi. Does it work with MapSource?
The 06 navigation system works well but is basic and designed for ease of use. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of some other models. It does get a bad rap on these boards occassionally. You can't download routing data and details from your PC into it and it's not as sophisticated as some portable models.
However it works fine for the typical user. T.

·
Registered
38 Posts
NAV

I've never had any other NAV system, but for me it is a issue of room. Having it integrated is one less thing to attach, which I think makes up for any weakness. The screen is going to be there anyway, so the more it can do the better.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
It serves my purpose. I would not have gotten it but I wanted ABS, now that i have it I like it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
BIGBIRD... My 06 NAVI has gotten me every where I have wanted to go with very few key strokes and more importantly it has gotten me back home. It will not tell me the "true speed" or how ''HI" I am but, it is the best for me

·
Registered
245 Posts
I like the nav system on my 06 much better than the one in my Lincoln Avaitor. I have never used a handheld, all my experience is based on fixed units.

It does everything I need it to do, and I would not be without it.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I'm new around here so let me tell you all that if I buy something that is a POS, I'll call it a POS. I don't lie just to just make myself feel better about it or to make people believe I'm happy with it. That being said, the NAV is good. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the portables but it is not junk. I do wish it showed M.P.H. (avg. and actual) and trip mileage. Maybe one day I'll buy a portable but I sure doubt it. 22 years of riding (off and on) and I have never yearned for one. But I did want the ABS! :D

·
Registered
226 Posts
Yes, the Navigation that is stock on my 06' Wing has served me well too and I am pleased that I have it. The problem that I have with it is in the more detailed routing. I rode in several fundraiser rides this summer that had very detailed written instructions. To try and route them using the NAV on the Wing was very labor intensive and took considerable coordination on my part not to mark an incorrect waypoint. That is were the 2720 and hopefully the Zumo550 will really shine. I will be able to obtain the routes beforehand and use Mapsource on my computer to build the route. Once the route is laid out I will be able to download the route onto the 2720 or Zumo550 and not have to stress about making a mistake while on the actual run. So again, I’m happy with the stock NAV and would get it again as part of the total package. :lol:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts