GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
08 with an Windbender screen. Absolutely love the quiet behind the drive in movie screen size front end of my Wing for long 650 mile days (after days) in the saddle. My wife is done with LD riding and I'm thinking new Wing.

Is the new Wing as quiet (wind noise) as the previous GL1800?

Educate me.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I think each person has a different opinion of the wind noise and several variables will affect it such as the type of helmet your are wearing. I don't let wind noise bother me; I just enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
95 Posts
No it doenst.
Wind buffeting is higher and the main noise comes from the exhaust. New bike is more and more loud than the previus gens.
Wish an aftermarket quiter exhaust is offered someday.
For me the one only negative side of the new wing is exhaust loudness, I prefer quite riding. Making exhaust noise feels like an ordinary motorcycle not a goldwing :)

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
The stock Tour windshield has a sweet spot quieting the wind down, the new fairing design has more airflow which I love. Sweet sounding mufflers too:grin2:

Reactions: Blue Bird Bill

·
Registered
558 Posts
I do a lot of riding here in Central Illinois without a helmet so I will offer my comparison between my F6B and the 2018 Standard Goldwing (can't speak on the Tour Model).

My F6B had a Madstad windshield and Baker Wings under the mirrors. This was a nice quiet ride in a large part due to the Madstad, the Baker Wings helped as well.

On the 2018, the Honda Line Upper & Lower wind deflectors help to quiet the ride. I have the 20" Slipstreamer Wraparound shield, this improved things further. Recently installed the X-Creen Wind Deflector to the Slipstreamer and now feel the ride is as quiet as the F6B. The rider cockpit is quiet with only a slight Fluttering Sound at 75 mph.

I don't quite understand the comments about a loud exhaust ?? At 60 - 75 mph I just don't notice exhaust noise as being an issue.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
its too loud and at highway speed the drone is annoying. 3 different helmets and 3 windshields. I only want to here my music and a little wind not hondas version of throaty. The bike otherwise is an incredible blast to ride !

Reactions: retired_biker

·
Registered
994 Posts
If you spend enough money the 2018 can be made to be as quite and comfortable as your '08. The exhaust sound of the 2018 is very annoying as well as the over abundance of wind buffeting and wind noise. But like I said, throw a wallet full of cash at it and you can get it close to the feel of your '08.

·
Registered
772 Posts
IMO better to invest in quality fitted ear plugs, I got a set of Big Ears about 5 years and they are absolutely awesome, the sound of my music from them is better than any stereo speakers I've heard in my entire life. No more wind noise etc...

Truly one of the best spends of money I've ever done in my life, only problem was that I waited so long to get em. :thumbup::thumbup:

https://www.bigearinc.com/

·
Registered
35 Posts
Go test ride one and see what you think...:thumbup:

·
Love The DCT
12,020 Posts
08 with an Windbender screen. Absolutely love the quiet behind the drive in movie screen size front end of my Wing for long 650 mile days (after days) in the saddle. My wife is done with LD riding and I'm thinking new Wing.

Is the new Wing as quiet (wind noise) as the previous GL1800?

Educate me.
Go to a dealership and take a demo ride on the new wing. Then you can decide for yourself.

:doorag:

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I already use custom earplugs to listen to mp3 music or the radio, one reason I like the quiet of my 08. I wear a Neotec but after a half million miles on other bikes over the years my hearing has taken a beating.

Test ride a Wing in California? Who knows of a dealership in northern Ca who will let you ride a new wing?

Not enthused to hear about the throaty pipes on a Wing. I like after market pipes on my KLR and KTM supermoto but the Wing is for long quiet days.

·
Love The DCT
12,020 Posts
I already use custom earplugs to listen to mp3 music or the radio, one reason I like the quiet of my 08. I wear a Neotec but after a half million miles on other bikes over the years my hearing has taken a beating.
I wear ear plugs and have no problem listening to mp3 music coming out of the speakers. Also have no problem listening to mp3 music via a bluetooth headset in a helmet.

Test ride a Wing in California? Who knows of a dealership in northern Ca who will let you ride a new wing?
Call a dealer near you and see if any of them offer a demo ride.

Not enthused to hear about the throaty pipes on a Wing. I like after market pipes on my KLR and KTM supermoto but the Wing is for long quiet days.
IMO, only you can decide whether the new wing's pipes are too throaty for you.

:doorag:

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
In my opinion, you will get better wind protection, and less wind noise on your 08. Even with an F4 24-inch windscreen, I still get a lot of wind and wind noise from around the sides. I went from a 2015 to the new 2018.

·
Registered
162 Posts
its too loud and at highway speed the drone is annoying. 3 different helmets and 3 windshields. I only want to here my music and a little wind not hondas version of throaty. The bike otherwise is an incredible blast to ride !
Absolutely agree with your comments re: the drone at highway speed is (for me, VERY) annoying!

The 2018 GW Tour (DCT or 6-spd) is definitely NOT as quiet - both engine exhaust and wind noise, wise - as my 2014 was.

Agree with another post here to ride before you buy!

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Hey stick a cork in it...really a 2018 rider has done that and it helps plus you get to drink a couple bottles of wine if you need corks:grin2:

Reactions: Goldwing-Tour

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Gearing down in sport mode (in twisties) the bike sounds like a Ferrari!! On the older GL1800 it was more like a Honda 250. LOL!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts