GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just sounding off here a little bit but I rode up on the parkway a couple of weeks ago and It seemed like there were little sports cars and Bikes really hauling it thru there, I have noticed this the last few times I have been up there, I like to ride it for the enjoyment and scenery but I have had to pull over a lot for Bikes that are just flying thru there. I know sometimes in scenic areas I might poke around some but I am always running at least 40 and if I see someone weather it's a car or Bike coming up on me I will get off at the next over look and let them go own but some are really moving on, had one guy drifting over the double yellow this last time because he was riding faster than he needed in one of the curves, makes me almost miss the rangers that I use to see patrolling it. Sorry about the rant just needed to vent I guess. :frown:

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
You are correct and I'm certainly not apologizing for running the speed limit. I'm not diving out of the way, either. Kind of a shame though, isn't it?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I apologize

I agree with your rant very much and I apologize if I startled you when I crossed that double yellow line but honest it was only to pass slower moving vehicles and not in a curve at all, and I got no where near the double yellow line in any of the curves, now the white line is another story altogether, yes I crossed it many times in the curves and I got lots of grass in my right peg to prove it... :joke: :oops: :joke: :oops:

·
Registered
406 Posts
Heading down there Saturday should be on the BRP. Thanks in advance for pulling over and letting us by. Even 45 gets a little monotonous and like to twist the throttle a little bit.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Wasn't me!

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Knowing the old Blue hair rider that you are, it was probably you that was getting passes on the double yellow??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
That would be me!:thumbup:

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I wasn't aware that one could faster than needed in a curve.

Define "faster than needed" in a curve, please. :shrug: :lol:

Reactions: Rapidray

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Hmmmm. Every time I do the the BRP rangers with radar are spaced about 5-10 miles apart. EVERYONE is doing the 35 mph speed limit.

Must be because I do it on weekends.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I like to ride it for the enjoyment and scenery but I have had to pull over a lot for Bikes that are just flying thru there./QUOTE]

I'm with you 100% on this. The BRP is for touring and enjoying the scenery.

If you want to race, get your gear on and go to the track.

At the track you don't endanger others needlessly and it's much safer for you as well. You know the radius of the curves ahead of time, and there won't be some bonehead in a cage coming at you in the middle of a corner in your lane!

Last time I was riding the Cherohala Skyway with a group of four Gold Wings, we came around a corner only to see two bikes on the outside of the corner up against the guard rail. One bike on its sidestand and one bike down against the rail in pieces. Only one rider visible. He was frantically looking over the sheer cliff on the other side of the guard rail for his buddy. His buddy misjudged the curve, went down, hit the guard rail, and was catapulted over the rail down the cliff. Cliff was too steep to even see the guy at the bottom. Once rescue got there we left, still no sight of him. Don't know if the guy made it or not. Crazy! Race at the track folks, not on the street.

·
Registered
17,121 Posts
The BRP is meant for "just poking along" and relaxing and googoggeling. If you are in a rush take the super slab and if ya wanna cut the curves, there are way lots of great roads along those ridges. I try not to speed on Skyline, BRP. or Cherohala; although it takes quite an effort not to at times.

prs

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Hmmmm. Every time I do the the BRP rangers with radar are spaced about 5-10 miles apart. EVERYONE is doing the 35 mph speed limit.

Must be because I do it on weekends.
35mph? That must be Skyline drive which is heavily patrolled. The BRP is mostly 45mph and not nearly as heavily patrolled. Don't think I've ever been run down on the BRP or Skyline drive but I've seen plenty of numb nuts crossing the double yellow. :wrong:

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
You guys have got it all backwards.

Instead of spending big bucks improving the suspension
to go faster on more technical roads,
you should just try some ancient technology instead.

I got the Ural just for doing doing the BRP...
.. 45 around a curve on the URAL is like 90 on the wing... :eek:4:

.. heck, it even makes these "boring" Florida roads "exciting" once again

... can't wait to get back up there !!

Dennis

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Until the ranger nails them with the federal $$$$$$$$ ticket, they will feel immune. May only be one, but he only has one 473 mile road to patrol.:nojoke:
:agree: Those Federal tickets are EXPENSIVE.
There is a long 35 MPH area south of Boone because of tourist attractions, a lake and campgounds. The 35 makes me crazy but I can't afford the tickets or the hike in insurance premiums.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Those Federal tickets are EXPENSIVE.
Never got one of those.

Just exactly how expensive is expensive? What's the dollar amount?

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
You guys have got it all backwards.

Instead of spending big bucks improving the suspension
to go faster on more technical roads,
you should just try some ancient technology instead.

I got the Ural just for doing doing the BRP...
.. 45 around a curve on the URAL is like 90 on the wing... :eek:4:

.. heck, it even makes these "boring" Florida roads "exciting" once again

... can't wait to get back up there !!

Dennis
:1st:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts