GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like a good backrest on a bike. Loved my Corbin Dual Tourer seat on my Valkyrie when I had it. To all of you guys that already have your new Goldwing Tour with the backrest, is the driver's backrest worth the $300+$60 install price or should one wait until a seat manufacturer produces one for these bikes?

·
Registered
898 Posts
I had it installed. But I don’t think it’s worth dollars. It’s not removable as far as I can tell and a little too small. It’s better than nothing but I would wait if had to do over.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
193 Posts
I had the Kuryakyn backrest on my Wing when I bought it. It was OK, but I like it better without it. It makes getting on/off a bit clumsy.

·
15 year Member
6,753 Posts
I have one, adjusted it and if you WANT a backrest it works great..

Mattbcnv

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
I'm waiting on the Utopia, I miss mine dearly!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I like the factory backrest very much. It's big enough for superior support, short enough to easily get a leg over, and adjustable. However, removable would be very nice. if your pillion rider is not small she will be sandwiched pretty tight between the pillion backrest and the rider backrest.

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
I would wait for the Utopia drivers backrest to see how it works. The Honda drivers backrest looks very nice...but I've read the Honda drivers backrest doesn't fold over like the Utopia did with the older bike which will make it harder for the passenger to get on and off the bike. I like that the Utopia folds over and it has the back pouch for extra storage.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
As with all of Honda's accessories, the quality of the components and the design is excellent. However, the backrest is another example where Honda consistently underestimates the size of the American Goldwinger.
Overall, I think the functionality is just ok. If it were another 2-3" wider and 2" taller it would be much better. For me anyway.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Yea, in my opinion, its worth it. I had a Utopia installed by the dealer when I took delivery of my 16 model. The quick out bar just arrived yesterday so I need to install it this weekend. It gets in the way sometimes with roll bags and such so make sure you get the quick out bracket. It just snaps in and out and if you load up the back seat or your passenger don't like it you can remove it.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the input so far. Just for clarity, I am talking about the Factory backrest for the new 2018 Goldwing Tour, not previous models.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts