GL1800Riders Forums banner

61 - 80 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Uh, the Honda backrest will adjust forward. FYI :serious:
Yes, it does but there’s a slight design flaw. Well before you reach the full forward location the bottom of the backrest bottoms out on the seat. The backrest needs to sit about 1/8” higher than it does to reach the full extent of the forward adjustment. I adjusted mine to where I can rest on it and still reach the bars but it’s wedged into the seat. Maybe over time the foam in the backrest or seat will relax a bit.

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
Yes, it does but there’s a slight design flaw. Well before you reach the full forward location the bottom of the backrest bottoms out on the seat. The backrest needs to sit about 1/8” higher than it does to reach the full extent of the forward adjustment. I adjusted mine to where I can rest on it and still reach the bars but it’s wedged into the seat. Maybe over time the foam in the backrest or seat will relax a bit.

No problems with mine, worked great, good support.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
No problems with mine, worked great, good support.
Oh it works great when adjusted to my seating position. It’s just that I don’t sit as far back as someone with longer arms and legs. I’m 5’9” and my shirt sleeve length is 33”. Someone a bit taller with a 34” or 35” sleeve length would have no problem. And the backrest will adjust far enough forward, it just binds on the seat before it runs out of adjustment. It should free float on its hinge.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I sure would like to see how the highway pegs were mounted!
There aren’t any factory highway pegs but the aftermarket is working on them. I’m hoping Rivco comes out with something that’s as good looking as they had for the older wings. Not a fan or the Mick-O-Pegs or the Kuryakyn stuff but the Mick-O-Pegs are well made and work great for a lot of people.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the 2018 Tour with the backrest, in hindsight, would wait for the aftermarket solutions. Need the backrest to fold out of the way for the misses to mount and for this old man to get a leg over.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Sat on a 2018 with the Honda backrest and it is not for me. 6'1 and 220 and there is no support for my back. Also my wife said the backrest hits her in the gut. We currently have a Corbin heated seat and I need a backrest with higher support, mid back is the best for me. We hope the aftermarket backrests with be better than Honda's and we look forward to hearing from those riders AND passengers who buy an aftermarket backrest for the 2018.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I like a good backrest on a bike. Loved my Corbin Dual Tourer seat on my Valkyrie when I had it. To all of you guys that already have your new Goldwing Tour with the backrest, is the driver's backrest worth the $300+$60 install price or should one wait until a seat manufacturer produces one for these bikes?
It's easy to install, looks good and feels good. To me much better that a great big backrest.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As with all of Honda's accessories, the quality of the components and the design is excellent. However, the backrest is another example where Honda consistently underestimates the size of the American Goldwinger.
Overall, I think the functionality is just ok. If it were another 2-3" wider and 2" taller it would be much better. For me anyway.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just acquired a 2019 Goldwing with Honda backrest. This discussion suggests I can adjust it forward but does not tell me how !! Please advise

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just acquired a 2019 Goldwing with Honda backrest. This discussion suggests I can adjust it forward but does not tell me how !! Please advise
Fold the backrest forward and down, remove the soft rubber cover from the the support and you will see the adjustment screw w locknut. Turn the screw in to adjust it forward.

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
I have the Show Chrome drivers backrest on my 2018. Its well made, folds down for the passenger to get on and off the bike and is just as comfortable as the Utopia drivers backrest was on my old wing..it is also removable without tools, but I never take it off. I like how the Show Chrome drivers backrest matches the seat better than the others.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
I have the Show Chrome drivers backrest on my 2018. Its well made, folds down for the passenger to get on and off the bike and is just as comfortable as the Utopia drivers backrest was on my old wing..it is also is removable without tools, but I never take it off. I like how the Show Chrome drivers backrest matches the seat better than the others. View attachment 364508

61 - 80 of 107 Posts