GL1800Riders Forums banner

81 - 100 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Interesting comments & opinions all. But as to your question the 'worth' is entirely up to you . . . . . and your back.
Just saying . . .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for your help ZEE50 and GV550 I will act on your information. Have only put 25 miles on my 2018 tour in 2 months as weather in Britain filthy since October.

·
Registered
828 Posts
My Utopia backrest is very, very worthwhile. But, it did cause me to put MBL risers on the handlebars to get them back just a tad so I wasn't "leaning back and reaching forward".

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would wait for the Utopia drivers backrest to see how it works. The Honda drivers backrest looks very nice...but I've read the Honda drivers backrest doesn't fold over like the Utopia did with the older bike which will make it harder for the passenger to get on and off the bike. I like that the Utopia folds over and it has the back pouch for extra storage.
I have a Utopia drivers backrest on my 2019 GL1800D and highly recommend it. My back says it's worth every penny!

Jim

·
Registered
482 Posts
I would have gone with the utopia as well but a forum member here sold me a oem Honda backrest for 100$ shipped so I couldn’t turn that down. It isn’t quick detach or as large as the utopia but it serves my back well enough.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Back rests are ok. But hinder the getting on and off. I wear a kidney belt on long rides. They are cheap, adjustable and don't get in the way. They are easy to take off and put on, did I say cheaper than a back rest. They don't need protection from the sun to keep the leather soft and pliable , etc. And, they provide a little bit of body protection. But hey, that is me.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Back rests are ok. But hinder the getting on and off. I wear a kidney belt on long rides. They are cheap, adjustable and don't get in the way. They are easy to take off and put on, did I say cheaper than a back rest. They don't need protection from the sun to keep the leather soft and pliable , etc. And, they provide a little bit of body protection. But hey, that is me.
Got a couple of kidney belts. Good idea.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I like a good backrest on a bike. Loved my Corbin Dual Tourer seat on my Valkyrie when I had it. To all of you guys that already have your new Goldwing Tour with the backrest, is the driver's backrest worth the $300+$60 install price or should one wait until a seat manufacturer produces one for these bikes?
It was not worth it for me, though I may be the odd one out. I do long rides, it is not unusual for me to have 10-14 hour days. I had a backrest on my old wing. I used it for several years and several long trips and I took it off and never looked back.

I have not considered putting a backrest on my newer Wing. I am plenty comfortable on it, even after long days!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
It was not worth it for me, though I may be the odd one out. I do long rides, it is not unusual for me to have 10-14 hour days. I had a backrest on my old wing. I used it for several years and several long trips and I took it off and never looked back.

I have not considered putting a backrest on my newer Wing. I am plenty comfortable on it, even after long days!
Most people I ride with use a backrest. Myself I don't like em

I agree.....
I used to have a backrest on my '98, '01 and '09 wings.....thought I had to have one for long term comfort.

But what I personally found is I tended to slouch in the seat when using the backrest and not sitting up straight.
I removed it from my '09 and never missed it......what I did was have much better posture, sitting up with a straight back when riding long distances (non-aggressive riding).
I was more comfortable without the backrest than with.....

Never had one on a bike since.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I have never been a fan of driver's backrest. I still enjoy mounting by swinging my leg over(it is my horse ya know). I have never had a need, for me it just gets in the way. JMO

Fred

·
Registered
6,551 Posts
Is the drivers backrest worth it...well I remember my first week long road trip on my brand new 2003....the first day was great and I way totally comfortable....the second long day the muscles in my lower back just started getting tight and were aching and I couldn't get comfortable no matter what I did...and I was 17 years younger than I am today.. :) I was on my way to Americade and the first thing I did when I got there was to have a drivers backrest installed. I've never experienced my lower back muscles getting tight again on long multi day rides since using a drivers backrest....so for me the drivers backrest increases the comfort level and is well worth it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I like a good backrest on a bike. Loved my Corbin Dual Tourer seat on my Valkyrie when I had it. To all of you guys that already have your new Goldwing Tour with the backrest, is the driver's backrest worth the $300+$60 install price or should one wait until a seat manufacturer produces one for these bikes?
Bought mine on eBay for 150 fm a dude that didn’t like it. I however like it, I like that is fixed and can’t be removed (stolen). It’s a good size for being fixed, U wouldn’t want it much bigger. Oh, and what is this 60 bucks to install biz? The Geico caveman could instal this, easy peasy.

·
Registered
6,551 Posts
300 plus 60 to install a drivers backrest...thats crazy..I paid like 160 dollars for the Show Chrome drivers backrest...very easy to install..about 30 minutes

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you can swing it, get an utopia. As a guy with a spinal fusion L4/L5 a backrest is a must.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I got the Honda line backrest, I'm a Utopia guy from my 05, thought I'd done the wrong thing. Liked the looks of it but did not feel as good. Did the Wing soft thing to the seat and all is good now. Seems the backrest feels much better now,

·
Registered
44 Posts
As a Back surgery survivor (L4 removed 20 yrs ago), I can say that my utopia backrest is one of the most useful add-ons I have made to my 2018 non-tour. The ability to lean back while on a long ride really adds to the comfort and also the miles I can put on between stops. Back rests are not for everyone, but it sure helps me. I installed mine myself. 30 minute job,.

81 - 100 of 107 Posts