GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed on dyno-charts that the Wing makes more torque AT IDLE than most 1,000 cc superbikes make at any RPM. Wings often also have more horsepower in the midrange. For those who have ridden both Wings and superbikes (CBR1000RR, R1, Buell 1125 and such), how much does the Wing feel like a superbike? Could a spirited Wing rider handle a superbike without much trouble, or are they completely different animals (in terms of acceleration). Oh, and how FAST do the superbikes turn?

Signed,
Walter Mitty

Attachments

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
im pretty fast at deals gap,my fastest is an 11:30,the fastest sport bike time is about 8 min flat,3 1/2 min is a real real looooong time!!!!

·
Registered
327 Posts
The Goldwing is a Super Bike but not a Superbike.

Dang, just a few minutes too late with the same reply. Super bike ... Nuff said.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Correct! :yes1:

Wing feels like a anvil-laden slug when climbing back on, after a test ride on a Speed III or Triumph Tiger, much less a true racing-type superbike. Takes about 5 minutes of creamy-smooth highway riding with total fairing/windshield protection and calm/comfort for the GL1800 to again take your place in the heart... just believe me.

The Goldwing is a Super Bike but not a Superbike.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The Wing is a slug in comparison,and VERY unforgiving when pushed too far (tires sliding).A liter bike will scare the pants off of most riders.If they stay on it.lol.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Not even in the same universe. At 100 mph on my Ducati I can finally quit worrying about whether my front wheel is going to stay down or not.....IF I have my weight forward.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Correct! :yes1:

Wing feels like a anvil-laden slug when climbing back on, after a test ride on a Speed III or Triumph Tiger, much less a true racing-type superbike. Takes about 5 minutes of creamy-smooth highway riding with total fairing/windshield protection and calm/comfort for the GL1800 to again take your place in the heart... just believe me.
Bingo.

I love Rose, but even Lucille makes her seem like a whale.

·
Registered
584 Posts
im pretty fast at deals gap,my fastest is an 11:30,the fastest sport bike time is about 8 min flat,3 1/2 min is a real real looooong time!!!!
Yeah, but can the superbike do that carrying several days worth of luggage and a drink in the holder while riding a passenger???

I think a 'Wing can do pretty well considering its designed as a long range touring platform. Still can ride sporty and keep u with the average sport bike rider when EVERYONE is carrying luggage for a 3 day trip...

Unless you can afford to have a MC for every occasion, its hard to beat a 'Wing for all around riding, except off road...

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I have had a few of both of them.
The Goldwing is NOT a Superbike, but it's a GREAT BIKE :thumbup:

·
Registered
236 Posts
The Goldwing is NOTHING compared to ANY sportbike of almost ANY size. I wouldn't consider the 'Wing to "fast" AT ALL. It is a great bike, but it is NO sportbike AT ALL!!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hhhhaaaa!!!!!!!

Not even in the same arena. SuperBikes are in a class by themselves. The Goldwing is the Supreme Champion of the Two Up Touring Bikes. Best,

DOC:thumbup::thumbup:

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
I've noticed on dyno-charts that the Wing makes more torque AT IDLE than most 1,000 cc superbikes make at any RPM. Wings often also have more horsepower in the midrange. For those who have ridden both Wings and superbikes (CBR1000RR, R1, Buell 1125 and such), how much does the Wing feel like a superbike? Could a spirited Wing rider handle a superbike without much trouble, or are they completely different animals (in terms of acceleration). Oh, and how FAST do the superbikes turn?

Signed,
Walter Mitty
I've ridden Ced's cb1800rr, And let me tell you when you take almost 400lb off a Wing and put male slider forks on.
It will do things you can't even think about doing on a wing.
Mick

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Yeah, but can the superbike do that carrying several days worth of luggage and a drink in the holder while riding a passenger???

I think a 'Wing can do pretty well considering its designed as a long range touring platform. Still can ride sporty and keep u with the average sport bike rider when EVERYONE is carrying luggage for a 3 day trip...

Unless you can afford to have a MC for every occasion, its hard to beat a 'Wing for all around riding, except off road...
My thoughts exactly:thumbup:

·
Registered
226 Posts

Signed,
Walter Mitty
No.

Very, very quickly.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Not even in the same universe. At 100 mph on my Ducati I can finally quit worrying about whether my front wheel is going to stay down or not.....IF I have my weight forward.
Great bike.I haven't had a chance to molest one yet.I hated 1098/1198 ergos,couldn't wait to get off.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Great bike.I haven't had a chance to molest one yet.I hated 1098/1198 ergos,couldn't wait to get off.
No doubt about that, that's why 1098 lives in track mode only. On the street, it's either my Wing or for sports riding, my Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC(150 rwhp).

·
Registered
150 Posts
the wing will go fast compared to a car, but even compared to a 600 cc supersport bike, it isn't even close. yes the wing is better suited for touring, but the op was comparing the wing's ability to be like a sport bike, not a sportbike trying to be like a wing

1 - 20 of 61 Posts