GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to figure out the best/cost effective method. Be able to take a call and listen to music and have a viewable GPS (line of sight just below windshield).

I currently have an old hookup for a 2720 that has bitten the dust and radar detector that comes through the intercom.

Is there one model GPS that can handle all of this? One to use the 2720 hook up?

Are calls through the GPS clear or just fair?

Will I need a Kennedy harness of some sort?

Would a smart phone work for all the above? I have a Samsung droid.

Thanks for all you input.

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
Gl2way

Might want to look at a GL2WAY from www.bikemp3.com . I've got a Nuvi 765T connected to it, listen to my GPS and bluetooth phone through it, have a FRS and CB function. If you don't want the CB portion, you can buy it without it and still have the FRS and gps input. There is a mic splitter to send the audio from your helmet mic to the gps to return your side of the phone call.

There are some threads on this forum concerning bluetooth interfaces available that are more suited for phone usage when your gps does not have an audio input function. I don't have any info on how well they work, you'll have to check those threads for their opinions.

Note: some gps's have low audio output, and the phone and gps directions are too low of a signal to adequately let the gl2way see the incoming signal. The nuvi 765 is one of those, I use a boostaroo for the gps output into the gl2way to boost the signal. Pete at bikemp3 is working on the issue. Same thing for the mp3 player portion. Without the boostaroo the quieter passages of the music causes the gl2way to not see the input and drops out the music. However, the gl2way is not designed as a music player, but they do sell a MP3 player that is a plug and play substitute for the CD system.

Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Garmin nuvi 765t will do the trick. It's a discontinued model but widely available.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts