GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there some secret to keeping abs chrome from getting so grundgy that it won't polish out? It seems like no matter what the pieces are they just get scratched and stained after a while. Trunk, saddlebag, fairing and frame trim no matter how often I polish them need to be replaced after a couple of years. Gettin to be expensive! Any suggestions?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Its probably because it is cheap chrome plating. When I bought my '03 last year it was like that. I used 0000 steel wool to clean it up, washed and rinsed, then followed up with a scratch-removing wax (Wizards). All but the worst scuffs cleaned up perfect...the bad stuff was permanent damage and can't be fixed. Waxing it once in a while should keep it from getting grungy. Remember that wax, especially carnuba, does not last very long. I like synthetic wax for daily driver stuff.

Good luck!

·
Registered
166 Posts
mothers chrome polish or never dull. these work great for so so metal chrome. i only use never dull when the pieces are real bad. mothers is the bomb for everyday chrome polishing. as for plastic chrome, i apply my usual wax(often).

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
Don't use chrome cleaner/polish on plated plastic. It's abrasive and it's for hard chrome on metal parts.
Believe it or not: Windex:yes1:
or Original cleaner/polish on the whole bike:

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Don't use chrome cleaner/polish on plated plastic. It's abrasive and it's for hard chrome on metal parts.

And a soft clean towel to wipe off.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That stuff on Jay Leno's is amazing. Thanks for the windex tip, I'll try it.

·
Registered
19,057 Posts
Actually Windex works great on chrome. Better yet we are here to help---LIMNCS

·
Registered
131 Posts
A vote here for Original Bike Spirits cleaner/polish and a couple of micro fiber cloths.

My new to me 06 is loaded with Kuryakyn ABS chrome bits. The PO has used Original Bike Spirits on it since new and it looks awesome.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts