GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My (Bike) brand MP3 player after 2 years was found to be the cause of my slow battery drain, now I have it disconnected in the trunk but have used it twice on rides with few radio stations around. when I did use it would play part of a song then jump to the next song, also when I unplugged it in the trunk the player was very warm (new issue). Has anyone else seen this is there any recourse with the manufacturer? Have the new ones had the issues fixed or is there another brand of MP3 that works without problems through the CD plug in? thanks for any idea's

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,198 Posts
BikeMP3 V3 unit has worked flawless for me on my 04 since it came out, the V1 version gave me some issues, but not this one.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
When my Bike MP3 player started getting irratic on me I traced the problem to the white connector under the seat....what I found, was that one of the pins in the connector was never properly seated into the plastic...a factory defect. Once I made sure all the pins were seated and tight my problems when away.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I have occasional problems with mine. Sometimes after I start the bike Im unable to control it from the handlebar controls, sometimes it takes about a minute or two before the music starts playing. But overall it works most of the time.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I've noticed mine becoming more troublesome as well. If you shut off the bike with the BikeMP3 playing it will stay on, so I got in the habit of switching to Auxiliary before I shut the bike off. That would cause the BikeMP3 to shut off. Now that doesn't work any more. It still stays on and I have to physically disconnect the cable. It is also starting to become unresponsive to the handlebar controls more often. On our last trip it would get stuck on a song and keep repeating. I've tried using different media and such. When it works properly the BikeMP3 player is a nice product, but mine is working properly less and less.

·
IronMan
17,452 Posts
somewhere thought was posted ( pete ???? ) that undo neg on battery to reset ??? course i read alot and get confused - yours not bikemp3 ?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Soundgate, built for Honda Cars/Motorcycles

·
Registered
115 Posts
Here is another alternative device that you might want to look at. It's from GROM Audio. I have been using their version 1 device on my 1800 for the last 5 years controlling my Ipod NANO.
On their website you can select the model that fits your plans by entering the year, car, and yes they offer a selection for the Goldwing. It will then bring up 4 different devices that you can choose from.
Here is the website:
http://www.gromaudio.com/store/android_adapters/honda_acura_2003-2012_usb_android_adapter_direct_digital_interface.html
Check it out.
Dennie

·
Registered
432 Posts
Can you provide more details on the GROM unit? Looks interesting. I can't find any info on the Goldwing on their site.

EDIT: I stand corrected. If you choose 'Honda' then 2003 or newer it gives a 'Goldwing' option. I initially tried a 2002.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have the J&M Mp3 player with Bluetooth. This allows me to use my Samsung S3 as my full "infotainment" provider via bluetooth. Gives me access to Pandora, my MP3 collection, google maps/nav, etc. I don't even have anything loaded on the card in the MP3 player unit. To me, until Honda gets with the program, this is the easiest solution available.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I purchased the GROM unit that 'dlong5' mentioned in post #10. I've been using it for several days and so far it hasn't exhibited any of the problems I had with the BikeMP3 player.
Stan, which unit did you purchase? After you have used the unit for awhile, let us know how it is working for you. Did you have much trouble installing the GROM unit?

Dennie

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Looks like the GROM unit would have a similar installation to the other MP3 players out there...

For those using this, I'm interested in the Android phone interface - have you used this part?

There's also a Bluetooth dongle which would seem to do the same thing - but also allow phone interface as well - anybody tried this yet?

For those that have used this, please add year of bike and whether or not you have Honda navigation.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Stan, which unit did you purchase? After you have used the unit for awhile, let us know how it is working for you. Did you have much trouble installing the GROM unit?

Dennie
I bought the GROM-AND2-HON1 model. Installation was simple. It plugs into the CD changer connector just like the BikeMP3 player. I have it sitting in the CB well for the time being. I've mostly used a USB flashdrive to listen to music. The controls have always responded. The player shuts off when you switch sources or turn off the bike. The music sounds great. It plays songs in alphabetical order. I never could figure out how the BikeMP3 determined the order to play songs.

I haven't messed with the Android part much. I connected the phone (Samsung Galaxy S4) and the phone automatically downloaded the AALinQ app that GROM recommends. It also started charging the phone. I don't have any music on my phone so that's something I'll have to mess with in the future. I briefly listened to an MP3 player using the 3.5mm connection and it worked fine.

I haven't tried switching between the two sources or updating the firmware although both processes look easy. I think I'm going to buy one for my fiance's Highlander.

EDIT: 2002, no navigation.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I bought the GROM-AND2-HON1 model. Installation was simple. It plugs into the CD changer connector just like the BikeMP3 player. I have it sitting in the CB well for the time being. I've mostly used a USB flashdrive to listen to music. The controls have always responded. The player shuts off when you switch sources or turn off the bike. The music sounds great. It plays songs in alphabetical order. I never could figure out how the BikeMP3 determined the order to play songs.

I haven't messed with the Android part much. I connected the phone (Samsung Galaxy S4) and the phone automatically downloaded the AALinQ app that GROM recommends. It also started charging the phone. I don't have any music on my phone so that's something I'll have to mess with in the future. I briefly listened to an MP3 player using the 3.5mm connection and it worked fine.

I haven't tried switching between the two sources or updating the firmware although both processes look easy. I think I'm going to buy one for my fiance's Highlander.

EDIT: 2002, no navigation.
Stan, how many songs did you load on your flashdrive? I didn't see where you had to group the songs into 6 folders (discs). Did you have to do that? Also can you create playlists?
Dennie

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Yes, they recommend a maximum of six playlists but I have nine on mine and it works fine. It is explained here: http://gromaudio.com/docs/Grom_USB_Setup.pdf
A wee bit misleading on their part...

If you notice in the PDF, there's folders within the top-level folders. I'm sure it's an attempt at setting things up so you could listen to a full album in sequence (for example)

·
Registered
880 Posts
Bike MP3 V03 failure

My Bike MP3 V03 unit is malfunctioning much like everyone else's. I've had it installed the 2003 GL1800 with a thumb drive plugged into it since November of 2012 and had veryt few issues. Now, it is causing a battery drain, it doesn't power down and gets very hot to the touch, approaching 120 degrees f. The manufacturer is saying that they are working on a replacement cable to remedy the problem and will cost $24.95. If that cable will take care of the problem that is designed in to the media player and it will still function like it is supposed to, shouldn't it be furnished free to the original owner? I suspect that it was s design defect that is causing the problem, especially since it is plaguing so many users.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts