GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put my windshield back on last night, and it seems that when I "lock" the windshield ratchet levers to hold the windshield at the set height, the right side doesn't "grab" it as tight as it used to. When the lever is in the locked position, I can still grab the windshield and move it up and down, just on the right side.

Is there an adjustment for this? I'm fairly confident that the windshield was reinstalled properly... and it wasn't this loose before.

Thanks!
8)

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
UH? Now you have me scared. I changed mine last month and it is not as tight either. I just ordered new rubber grommets that go on the fairing side into the mirror, I am going to take it apart and see whats wrong when I get them in. I dont remember your 5 rubber pieces.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GL03 said:
Did u drop the rubber pieces? Remember like 5 of them, one on each bolt or spacer across the front.
John, I don't know what 5 rubber pieces you're talking about either. My bike is an '04, and the windshield is different from the 02's and 03's. Their certainly weren't any rubber pieces in there, and I didn't see any thing like that floating around on the floor. :shock: :lol:

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Goldwing_Midland_TX said:
On the side under the mirror, there is a lever that can be put on the wrong side of the catch. Not good at explaining this, but with the mirror folded back, I think you can see it work when you move the lever up and down.
Gary, I know what you're talking about. To quote the manual: "Make sure the windshield garnish locating tabs are hooked under the fairing tabs." I checked that, and mine were correct.

·
Registered
305 Posts
It is the rubber dohickies. If you remove the front piece of the fairing it is really obvious. On my 04 just the one to the far right was missing. I had to make one and it snugged right up.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
they were not much more then like a tire tube thick. Pretty sure there were five, because it was the center one I kept dropping! Horizontally, across the front / above the middle vent area. About three inches above vent. Or am I just getting to old to remember? Fairly sure on this.l Believe they were all under the setting screws in picture below.

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
From this thread,
http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=58050&highlight=windshield

Fred H. said:
There is an error in the service manual on the re-installation of the locking bar. If you follow the diagram in the manual you will install it wrong, and the result will be that it is loose.

This diagram shows the tabs drawn in the wrong position. The tab on the holder should go ABOVE the tab on the fairing, not underneath it.

And from Fred's Pbase site, third picture over on the top row, note the arrow, I didn't see it till I found what I was looking for already. :oops:

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/windbender

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm.... Weengers, I think you might be on to something here. I just looked at Freds turorial a little closer, and that may make sense. I'm going to try and reverse those tabs tonight and see what happens. I'll report back tomorrow.

Damn manuals!!! :twisted: :evil: :x :roll: :lol:

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I've long ago tossed the racheting part of the windshield adjusting system. Why have the rachet instead of just putting the windshield where you want it and lock it down? Anymore, I don't even lock it down. On the highway, I grab the top of it, push forward a little to take the pressure from the wind off of it, adjust it to where I want it, and let it go. The wind holds it in place. When I stop, it drops down all the way and I can see the road right in front of me a little better. I'm sure Honda would rather we didn't adjust it while rinding - always have two hands firmly on the bars - but the second or two it takes to adjust it with your eyes forward and up is less distracting than pushing a preset button on the radio.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
I've had my windshield off and on a few times. I always put it on like the manual states. Never had a problem with it being loose.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Mine is loose whe you move it front to back. ALOT looser than my old windshield. Hopefully my parts will come in today and I will take it apart. I did notice that my new windshield, which I bought from Mr B has a different shape on the bottom of the windshield. I wonder what thats all about.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's the ticket! I reversed the order of the tabs from what the manual says and the windshield is much tighter now when I ratchet it down. BUT... at he the "all the way up" position, it's still a little loose on the right side, but I have to contribute that to the teflon tape that I just put in there to replace the OEM tape that was peeling up... the reason I removed the windshield in the first place.

John (GL03), I see now the rubber pieces you were talking about. They are actually what locks the windshield in place. Mine are all there and just fine, but the one on the end on the right side is over some of that teflon tape that I installed, and it's pretty slick stuff, so that's why mine slides a little in the up-most position. It was 32 degrees in my workspace when I was doing this, so I'm hoping that in warm and hot weather, when those rubbers defrost and soften up a bit, that they will hold better.

It's an easy job to go in there and reverse those tabs. 15 minutes or so.

See the 3rd picture in Fred's tutorial referrenced below for the way the tabs should be. The manual seems to be wrong.

weengers said:
From this thread,
http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=58050&highlight=windshield

Fred H. said:
There is an error in the service manual on the re-installation of the locking bar. If you follow the diagram in the manual you will install it wrong, and the result will be that it is loose.

This diagram shows the tabs drawn in the wrong position. The tab on the holder should go ABOVE the tab on the fairing, not underneath it.

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/windbender

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
So if I went by the manual, then thats what my problem is? I hope so. WHat kind of tape are you using to replace the factory tape.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yea Steven, put those two tabs opposite of what the manual says. I used teflon adheasive tape to replace the factory tape. Getting the residual glue off after I peeled off the factory tape was a bugger. I'm not sure you have to remove it, but I wanted a clean surface to work with. I tried mineral spirits, denatured alcohol and WD40, all of which did not remove it very well but loosened it up a little. Then I carefully scraped it off with a razor blade, then got the rest of the residue off with one of those greenie weenie abrasive pads soaked with WD40. Cleaned all that off with denatured alcohol and I was good to go.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Thank you sir! I forgot to call and see if my parts came in yesterday. I will go by there this morning on my in to work. If I ever get off my butt. This will give me something to do tonite.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts