GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The battery doesn't last long enough and I'm not sure how to wire the glove box for the charger to plug in?? Thanks, Greg

·
Registered
559 Posts
If you have the 12Volt plug in in the left pocket you can buy a charger for your Ipod for about 12 bucks from China mart. Belkin is the brand I think.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Greg, Electrical Connection sells a Ipod adapter for GL1800 which keeps the unit charged at all times. The charge feature will not reactivate until the bike has been turned on again, therefore not draining the bike's battery. It works great and the only downside is that it won't fit the Ipod Nano or Shuffle. Click on the link below:

http://www.electricalconnection.com/audio/gl18-ipod.htm

04' GL1800A Flare Red
02' Valkyrie Blk & Red

·
Registered
86 Posts
The Electrical Connections Unit is nice and if you buy the Kennedy AuxSwitchSet2 you can hook up the Ipod and Sat radio to feed into the bike's aux input. You have to splice the two together and you need the EC ground loop filter which you place in-line between the EC Unit and the Kennedy unit.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Yes, you can get a 12 volt charger for your ipod. My question is this, why do you need to recharge it while riding? Holly's Shuffle goes between 10 to 12 hours before it needs to be recharged. By then she is tired of listening to it and is ready for her Sky-Fi XM.

·
Registered
812 Posts
charging iPod

There are a bunch of ways you can go. However, I'll tell you my low buck set up that works for the iPod, cell phone and trouble light. I simply ran an accessory wire from the red wire under the left fairing pocket. Ground to something suitable. I grafted a 2 prong flat plug (like for Gerbing jackets) to the wire, and added a $2.00 female plug from Wal*Mart. Anything that I can plug into a cigarette lighter I can plug into this. I don't like to leave iPod plugged in all the time because it is good to run the battery down before charging rather than to keep it fully charged all the time.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For some reason my battery is only lasting about 2 hours now. When the ipod was new, it lasted about 4 hours. Probably the first suggestion is the most affordable and easy to hook up. thanks, Greg

·
Registered
86 Posts
On longer trips it is nice not to have to carry xtra wiring for chargers and I have enough items in the left pocket besides a plug in charger for the Ipod. I like the Electrical Connections unit because it is on all the time, the Ipod stays charged which is convenient for on and off bike use, and all the wiring is under the fairing out of the way. The only thing that runs into the right pocket which is lockable and where I keep the Ipod is one wire which plugs into the bottom of the Ipod.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The only problem is that the audio hookup between the ipod and bike stereo unit is in the left fairing storage area??

·
Registered
86 Posts
spine60 said:
The only problem is that the audio hookup between the ipod and bike stereo unit is in the left fairing storage area??
The aux power and the aux audio leads are on the left side under the left pocket. The cables that come with the Kennedy or EC units are long enough to feed under the cover and across the top of the bike and into the right pocket. I have enough cable to pull the IPOD out of the right pocket about two feet for ease of use.

·
Vendor
21,888 Posts
From http://dealnews.com/

Meritline.com offers the Scosche iPod Cassette Adapter bundled with this iPod Car Charger for $8.99 with free shipping. Apply coupon code "AC2092602OFF" and the total price drops to $6.99, the lowest we've seen for this bundle. Deal ends November 8.

http://meritline.stores.yahoo.net/combo ... r-260.html

HandHeldItems.com offers its generic iPod Car Charger for $5.99 plus $2.85 for shipping. Apply coupon code "caripod" and the total price falls to $2.99, the lowest we've seen for this type of item. Of note, you'll need to supply your own USB cable. Deal ends November 30.

http://www.handhelditems.com/apple-ipod ... -4426.html

·
Registered
826 Posts
Wire the left faring pocket for the plug. Not a biggie and you will wind up using it for other stuff as well. Very convenient. Several places sell the ones that plug into the bike's plug. I did that first then ran a heavier wire off the battery (actually off of EC's Power Plate) so I could also run my compressor off of it.

Do a search on EBay, there are thousands. Here's one http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &rd=1&rd=1

I've bought several chargers, transmitters, cables, batteries and other electronics from there and never had a problem though not from this seller. Usually ships US mail from Hong Kong or some other Asian point. Not sure how they are making money because I have paid as little as 1 cent and less than $5 shipping.

What the hell, I just ordered one of these from this guy for a spare. We'll see what happens. Seller is Man Yee Watt. LOL

·
Registered
826 Posts
Got the charger today and it works fine. Shipped from San Fran for 63 cents in a plain white envelope. So, looks like they made $4.36 on shipping + the 49 censt I paid for it. I would buy another one from Man Yee.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts