GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to have XM weather on an 08? I was courious to know- can an 08 NAVI be upgraded to the 09 or even the 12 NAVI unit? Actually what i would like is to have XM weather on an 08. Any way to do that?

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
Is there a way to have XM weather on an 08? I was courious to know- can an 08 NAVI be upgraded to the 09 or even the 12 NAVI unit?
Absolutely! Spend enough money, anything is possible. 3-5K dollars should just about do it.

Actually what i would like is to have XM weather on an 08. Any way to do that?
Sure. Get a Garmin GPS that has XM capability.

·
Registered
19,464 Posts
Get a real GPS like a Garmin Zumo 550 with a Garmin GXM 30 antenna, and subscribe.

And have live radar :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Get an XM for the AUX input. I use a Roady

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Get a real GPS like a Garmin Zumo 550 with a Xs30 antenna, and subscribe.

And have live radar :rolleyes:
I see you've been studying at Loren's School of Made-Up Technobabble.

Your "real GPS" Zumo 550 does not do weather radar nor does it do anything other than a cartoon implementation of XM Weather.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
I see you've been studying at Loren's School of Made-Up Technobabble.

Your "real GPS" Zumo 550 does not do weather radar nor does it do anything other than a cartoon implementation of XM Weather.
So, XM weather is a MAP? My bad.

Smart phone using RADAR NOW. Works for me. The weather band on the GW radio and RADAR NOW on my phone works great. Map is animated too for the last half hour of radar.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I replied to this, but it didn't show up, so if it double posts, sorry 'bout that.

I have NOA Weather on my '04 which has been very helpful, but naturally no graphics.

Also, while on the subject, the '12 description lists the navigation as 'XM Navigation'. Does that mean that you have to have the XM subscription for it to work?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Also, while on the subject, the '12 description lists the navigation as 'XM Navigation'. Does that mean that you have to have the XM subscription for it to work?
You have to have a subscription for the "XM Weather". So yes. But you don't "have" to have the radio or traffic subscription.

·
Registered
818 Posts
You have to have a subscription for the "XM Weather". So yes. But you don't "have" to have the radio or traffic subscription.
Is that free or do I have to pay for it? I'm not aware of any navigation system that requires a monthly fee.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Is that free or do I have to pay for it? I'm not aware of any navigation system that requires a monthly fee.
The nav doesn't need a subscription. Just the weather radar part if you want it. The nav works regardless.

XM Radio Only $12.95 monthly XM Radio + XM NavWeather $16.94 monthly XM Radio + XM NavWeather + XM NavTraffic $19.95 monthly XM NavWeather Only $9.95 monthly

·
Registered
818 Posts
I have a SkyFy2 and paid for a lifetime subscription. I have mounts in my cars and on my bike so the radio gets moved around. I don't want to get into monthly subscriptions, so I won't be using xm weather. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Why in the world would anyone want "XM" weather for a "non-chart plotter marine GPS :?: My Zumo 665 gets 7 frames every 30 minutes or usually nothing at all :shock:. Expect the service to be equal in quality to that of the person who answers the phone when you try to get the :joke: activated.
For accurate weather get an Iphone or an Android smart phone and download the paid version of "WeatherBug Elite" (animated & accurate). The updates are FREE.
I think I paid either $.99 or $1.99 for the app download :thumbup:.
I don't even waste my time looking at the "XM" weather on my GPS. The real fun begins when you try to get "XM" weather canceled :cus::nojoke:.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The Xm Weather on my 2012 Goldwing Nav is one of the best things I have ever seen or used on a bike.

I would never be without it now.

To each his own.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
The Xm Weather on my 2012 Goldwing Nav is one of the best things I have ever seen or used on a bike.

I would never be without it now.

To each his own.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::shrug:

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm riding. Bad weather gets close in the direction I am heading. My gps tells me bad weather is in the area. Then the smaller weather map shows up showing the bad weather so I can ride around it.

Really don't know how it can be better than that.

Or maybe I should turn the WB channel on and wait for the report and guess where the bad weather is. Or pull my phone out while I am driving and try to navigate to the right screen for that. Or have an ugly external gps mounted to my bars with cords everywhere.

No thanks the built in Nav and Xm Weather are just about perfect.

·
Registered
58 Posts
"Smart phone using RADAR NOW. Works for me. The weather band on the GW radio and RADAR NOW on my phone works great. Map is animated too for the last half hour of radar"

:agree:

Did that on my trip in July..Avoided a few TsTms that way..:thumbup:

·
Registered
328 Posts
"I don't even waste my time looking at the "XM" weather on my GPS. The real fun begins when you try to get "XM" weather canceled :cus::nojoke:"

Buyer beware!! Cancelling anything SiriusXM is almost impossible. I'm dealing with the NewYork Attorney General's office and a collection agency just to stop my %*&@!! service.

If you don't believe me just google 'cancelling XM' or 'Sirius complaints'.

So where's the class-action lawsuit?:wrong:

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I'm riding. Bad weather gets close in the direction I am heading. My gps tells me bad weather is in the area. Then the smaller weather map shows up showing the bad weather so I can ride around it.

Really don't know how it can be better than that.

Or maybe I should turn the WB channel on and wait for the report and guess where the bad weather is. Or pull my phone out while I am driving and try to navigate to the right screen for that. Or have an ugly external gps mounted to my bars with cords everywhere.

No thanks the built in Nav and Xm Weather are just about perfect.
Just curious:confused:...How many Waypoint categories that are user nameable do you have to store Waypoints (like a category for restaurants or similar etc.) and how many total user created Waypoints will the Wing GPS store for your access :?:
Also how many individual user created routes will the unit store that you may call up for immediate use :?:
Am I correct that you could store at least 100 user created routes and perhaps 500 user created Waypoints (which would be a tiny amount compared with a Zumo with a storage card). I can and do but I am not familiar with the Honda on-line GPS tool that is similar to the Harley Davidson Ride planner.
I would not be interested in a single route GPS unit that I could insert a few "Via Points". That is why I believe most Wings with built in GPS units have the extra ugly units on their handle bars :shrug: (my Zumo 665 has a 3/16" cord hidden in the handlebar just above the removable bar lower cover that hides brake holders etc).
I do know that BMW provides an opening in their cowling or dash with a solid faceplate. They also include face plates for other units that are far superior to pre-2012 GPS units.
Can you enlighten me about the 2012 Honda GPS units as I have not used one :?:

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
I have found visual observation and sensitivity to atmospheric pressure changes by the rider help a great deal. I find a looming dark cloud more indicative of what is about to happen than an announcer in Atlanta reading a graphic indicating a 30% chance of rain during the next 6-8 hours.

Sirius/XM weather is available by subscription on better aftermarket GPS units. Fairly up to date weather reports/prognostications are available at no extra charge on some of the Sirius/XM news stations.

·
Registered
72 Posts
So far the weather Lady as been precise on my 2012 five times and counting,after she alets there is precepitation in the area no matter where Im riding within five minutes I run into rain.Cool feature on the 2012 xm weather.My buddy liked it so good he purchased the zumo w/xm weather and installed it on his 03 best thing since slice bread.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts