GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

My wife is always complaining she cant see above me. Im 6-2 and she only sees the back of my helmet.

Is there a way to raise her up about 3-4 inches which doesnt look crappy?

Is there an aftermarket seat that helps this?

Thanks for all your thoughts or suggestions

Loren
Palatine IL
Black '06

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope she is 5-9 that is why she only needs a few inches!!!

I hope someone has a suggestion.

Loren

·
Registered
655 Posts
:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
A gel cushion from Costco might be worth a try. I have one and it sits me too high in the driver seat. Never tried it under the wife.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Hi everyone.

My wife is always complaining she cant see above me. Im 6-2 and she only sees the back of my helmet.

Loren
Palatine IL
Black '06
A couple of thought of what is likely to happen if you find something to raise her this much:

*She'll be getting a LOT more wind/buffeting. Then you'll need to get a Tulsa XXXX Tall

*Raising the throne will effectively lower the backrest, creating another 'issue'

*The center of gravity will be raised up considerably, affecting the handling characteristics of the bike, especially at low speeds.

*If she can see over you, she'll be see stuff ahead that might increase 1) involuntary shifts in body position (affecting handling) and/or 2) voluntary editorial opinions about your job as Captain (affecting your enjoyment)

The lower position on the rear of motorcycles is a part of Intelligent Design. Attempts to change it might anger the almighty -- and a lot of folks of deep and abiding faith.

There are tens of thousands of Rear Admirals who understand that their somewhat limited field of vision is something to get used to -- and to enjoy.
The best scenery is what's off to the sides -- the stuff that we don't get to see because we're busy doing the work so our passengers can enjoy the view.

Have fun explaining it to her: Safety First.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Seems to be the nature of the beast with touring bikes. Our ultra was the same.
My wife just got used to it and doesn't complain any more. She just goes where I go and it eliminates the back seat driver.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Nope she is 5-9 that is why she only needs a few inches!!!

Loren
"That's what she said" ;)

With that...has she ever boosted herself up to where she thinks she wants to sit? She may find the wind and buffeting 'different-bad'.

You might want to build her a temporary booster seat and go for a ride at speed to make sure that's what she really wants.

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
just let her ride in front!

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Hi everyone.

Loren
Palatine IL
Black '06

Loren.Sell the wing and get the BMW GTL1600.It comes stock with a seat your looking for.:thumbup:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You all crack me up!

I really do appreciate all the comments! Some are even good! It is nice to know that some of you have good potential careers in comedy too!

Loren.

Ps. Keep the suggestions coming too!

·
Registered
19,219 Posts
I am 5'10" my wife is 5' 7". I asked her if all she sees is the back of my helmet looking forward. She said YES so I look to the side

Get her a booster seat if she needs to see forward

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Sounds like a job for Russell Day Long. They do separate foam for the rider and passenger. You are already tall enough to need a little more room up front. Have them stack the rear seat higher yet.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Not to sound sexist, but...

A lot of guys think that women NEVER know what they really want, because when you spend the time and dollar$$$ & make the effort to go thru the trouble of changing everything around to give her just what she asked for, you will probably find that:

1. She gets too much air from wind buffeting, and wants you to put the seat back as it was.
2. She complains about your driving because you've effectively changed the center of gravity & the handling characteristics, and makes riding miserable for both of you.
3. She finds she just doesn't like the whole setup but she wants to spare your feelings & not complain anymore, so she conveniently finds other things to do or reasons not to ride with you as much as the past if at all.

The best course of action might be to explain all the ramifications of raising her seat height to her that others including me have noted throughout this thread (we guys don't always explain why or why not to our women as often as we should), and if she still feels she wants the change, use some additional gel pads or inflatable pads as a temporary fix to try out the change before doing any permanent! This way, if either of you don't like it; no harm, no foul, just remove the pads & you're back to "normal!"

I'm wishing you the best! :popcorn: :coffee1::thumbup:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts