GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a 02 wing 2 years ago with 5700 miles on it, Now have 18000, was going to install oem volt gauge on right side panel. When I removed the panel I saw the radiator cap. ( Not the first time ). I opened it and noticed there was NO trace of antifreeze. So i decided it was time for a coolant service. Purchased 4 quarts of Honda OEM Anti freeze. Went home started tearing it down. Have a list of things to do. Including Traxxion triple tree,
on the wheels, anyway, getting back to the issue, I never recall or checked the overflow reservoir, so when I pulled the stick and it came out dry I was concerned. There are nor have there been any signs or smells relating to a leak. I ordered a cooling system pressure tester last night from amazon. Haven't drained the system yet to actually see how much coolant is left. Never had a overheating issue.
Mityvac MV4560 Radiator/Cooling System and Pressure Test Kit should get it tuesday. Now that I have a full fuel tank I need to pull it to check for hose leaks below the tank. Other then siphoning the tank is there a lower drain?

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Fuel tank or cooling reservoir ?

Cooling reservoir comes out by removing one ten millimeter bolt on the right side of it.

The only way I know of emptying the gas tank is by siphon it out.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fuel tank, need to see connection underneath it when i pressure test it. reservoir came out with about an ounce in it.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Fuel tank, need to see connection underneath it when i pressure test it. reservoir came out with about an ounce in it.
I would pressure test it first, if you do have a leak it may not be under the tank.

Here's what you will find under the tank.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
If I wished to drain the fuel tank I would just yank the hose at the pump under the seat, slip on a section of tubing from Lowes and turn on the key, point hose at bucket............oh point hose at bucket before turning on key.......;)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I wished to drain the fuel tank I would just yank the hose at the pump under the seat, slip on a section of tubing from Lowes and turn on the key, point hose at bucket............oh point hose at bucket before turning on key.......;)
Thats what I was looking for. Thank you.

·
Registered
7,522 Posts
Purchased a 02 wing 2 years ago with 5700 miles on it, Now have 18000, was going to install oem volt gauge on right side panel. When I removed the panel I saw the radiator cap. ( Not the first time ). I opened it and noticed there was NO trace of antifreeze. So i decided it was time for a coolant service. Purchased 4 quarts of Honda OEM Anti freeze. Went home started tearing it down. Have a list of things to do. Including Traxxion triple tree,
on the wheels, anyway, getting back to the issue, I never recall or checked the overflow reservoir, so when I pulled the stick and it came out dry I was concerned. There are nor have there been any signs or smells relating to a leak. I ordered a cooling system pressure tester last night from amazon. Haven't drained the system yet to actually see how much coolant is left. Never had a overheating issue.
Mityvac MV4560 Radiator/Cooling System and Pressure Test Kit should get it tuesday. Now that I have a full fuel tank I need to pull it to check for hose leaks below the tank. Other then siphoning the tank is there a lower drain?

Any suggestions would be appreciated...
When the level was low in the rad, the overflow being empty indicates that the overflow worked as intended.

(unless the overflow tank has a hole in the bottom:shock:)

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Thats what I was looking for. Thank you.
Well just a few things. It would be quite normal for the level of coolant to be a bit low if the overflow tank was empty due to evaporation or even a hole in it. Those tanks tend to get a hole or crack in them fairly common.

Unless you smell coolant or see it dripping or a little puddle, perhaps you do not have a leak. The stick will fool you too and look dry sometimes but not be, hard to see, I usually look at the little holes in the stick that tells me normally.

As long as you top off the coolant and it will always be low in the neck and never to the top of the cap you can ride coast to coast without that tank.

I would suspect it went dry due to lack of attention, or a hole in it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well just a few things. It would be quite normal for the level of coolant to be a bit low if the overflow tank was empty due to evaporation or even a hole in it. Those tanks tend to get a hole or crack in them fairly common.

Unless you smell coolant or see it dripping or a little puddle, perhaps you do not have a leak. The stick will fool you too and look dry sometimes but not be, hard to see, I usually look at the little holes in the stick that tells me normally.

As long as you top off the coolant and it will always be low in the neck and never to the top of the cap you can ride coast to coast without that tank.

I would suspect it went dry due to lack of attention, or a hole in it.
When I dropped the tank it had less then an ounce. I went ahead and changed the coolant, Burped it till it burped no more. Now I will pressure test it Tuesday when my tester gets delivered. will let you know what i find.

·
Vendor
17,405 Posts
I find the easiest way to drain the fuel tank on a GL1800 is to do it per the Service Manual. Remove the return line at the top of the tank, route the hose to a container, start the engine and let idle while the container fills.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Here's what you will find under the tank.

Walter,

Thanks for that "under tank" picture! I have never seen that before.

Not to hijack the thread, but can a water pump be replaced from underneath, i.e., getting at it from the bottom without removing the gas tank?

Thanks.

·
Registered
835 Posts
How much fuel is in the tank? I usually pull them with fuel in it as long as it is 3/4 or less.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I use a marine electric 12V fuel pump. I have used it on my last 4 bikes. It pumps the Wing's tank from full to empty in under 5 minutes. I keep the switch and power supply about 6' away. Any sparks and you become an astronaut :lol::nojoke:.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Draining tank

I don't like the idea of using the bikes fuel pump to drain the tank. When almost empty, the pump is spinning really fast with no fuel to cool it and may burn up. I'd stick a hose in there and siphon it out the old fashioned way. jmho

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Walter,

Thanks for that "under tank" picture! I have never seen that before.

Not to hijack the thread, but can a water pump be replaced from underneath, i.e., getting at it from the bottom without removing the gas tank?

Thanks.
You're Welcome,

Never changed one but I would say no, the tank has to be removed.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
I don't like the idea of using the bikes fuel pump to drain the tank. When almost empty, the pump is spinning really fast with no fuel to cool it and may burn up. I'd stick a hose in there and siphon it out the old fashioned way. jmho
Nothing wrong with using a hose if it makes you feel better but if running the fuel pump when the tank was near empty was a problem, you'd have that problem every time your tank got low when you rode it.

I know some people never have that issue and think you should fill up when you get to 1/4 tank but I ride with some people that never seem to fill up unless the light has been on for 10-20 miles and suspect there are many others that do the same. If running the fuel pump when the fuel level was low was problem, we'd likely hear about a lot more fuel pump failures than we do.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
I don't drain the tank to remove either, even a full charge of fuel weights only 50# or so, big deal.

prs

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good News, I don't need to pull the tank, I received my tester yesterday put 20#'s to it no leak down. Tested the cap also no problem. I guess it was lack of attention and evaporation over time. Today I will test it at normal temp while running to check for an internal issue, like a leaky head gasket.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts