GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i'm having R1200gsa R ninet , burgman 650,. i'm thinking of selling my Burgman 650 for new GW tour dct 1800 by November this year. I've check that the GL1800 is not Euro 5 applicable. This mean they going to be a new engine for this bike?? or a new model? if so i'll wait. Thank you

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Here is an excellent article on Euro5 as it applies to motorcycles . . . skip past the first 3 or 4 paragraphs of self congratulatory text and it gets rather good. Due to a number of factors both technical and legal, I'd not expect to see any radical changes to the Goldwing engine/powertrain. What changes there are, probably will not be introduced until January 1, 2021.

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesoci...uro-5-emissions-what-they-mean-to-motorcycles

Reactions: firstime911

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
.........I've check that the GL1800 is not Euro 5 applicable. This mean they going to be a new engine for this bike?? or a new model? if so i'll wait. Thank you
Seriously? ..... New engine for 2020 after Honda just redesigned it in 2018.

Great first post. Welcome to the forum.

Time for my morning coffee.

:coffee1::coffee1::coffee1:

·
Love The DCT
12,021 Posts
Seriously? ..... New engine for 2020 after Honda just redesigned it in 2018.

Great first post. Welcome to the forum.

Time for my morning coffee.

:coffee1::coffee1::coffee1:
I seriously doubt there will be a new engine. Like Fred H mentioned, the Honda mothership will probably just retune the existing engine.

:doorag:

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts
I've check that the GL1800 is not Euro 5 applicable. This mean they going to be a new engine for this bike?? or a new model? if so i'll wait. Thank you
Because of Euro 5 standards, I read one article where Honda was dropped something like 30 models, from 80. My guess is this. If a manufacture cannot afford to meet emission standards on 80 models, keep in mind that in some places like the USA, the m/c market has crashed, there is no way they can afford to engineer, design, and test, a 2nd engine for a 6th gen Wing. Therefore, when the 6th gen was engineered, meeting Euro 5 future standards was all part of its engineering.

Here is one article about Honda cutting models.

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesoci...s/2018/march/euro4_bikes_we_will_lose_in_2018

·
Registered
471 Posts
......Therefore, when the 6th gen was engineered, meeting Euro 5 future standards was all part of its engineering........
Here is an excerpt from the Euro 5 article.....

"The plan, at the moment, is for Euro5 emissions standard to be introduced in 2020 for all-new machines and 2021 FOR CARRY-OVER MODELS. However, that’s not set in stone and the European bike industry is crying out for clarification on the exact standards, methods of testing and deadlines."

So, it will be about two more years til Euro 5 standards affect the Wing in Europe.

·
Registered
471 Posts
The article also states that manufacturers are allowed to sell bikes for two years beyond the new standard to clear out inventory.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Honda will use this website to design and build the next Goldwing so the rhetorical question, and thusly the answers, the OP asked will undoubtedly shape the upcoming model! :chatter: :roll:

Reactions: firstime911

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
I think it will depend on how popular the new Goldwing is in Europe. If they are selling a boat load of them they will comply, if they're only selling a few..it will be may not be worth the effort. The new model is set up were a lot of changes can be achieved through programming.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
No has speculated on what will be the resulting effect on performance for Honda to adhere to EU standards.

I ain't going to for sure...cause I am too dumb about that kind of stuff. But I love to read what you smarty pants have to say about that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts