GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
. . . a spray OIL that i could use to spray the cylinders for winterizing?
in the past i have used an oil can with a plastic hose and squirt some oil into each cylinder. i always feel that this method is probably not complete.
i was thinking maybe there is a spray oil, not WD-40, but an oil that will cling to the walls to prevent corrosion.
does this make sense?

thanx for your help now and in the past, :)
geek

·
Registered
113 Posts
fogging oil

I use Johnson outboard motor storage fogging oil on my bikes and my outboard motors. No problems for twenty years. I live in MN so our storage starts early. Good luck

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
whales

i found some fogging oil by stabil. haven't used it yet.
will this work? never used this stuff before.

thanx,
geek

·
Registered
113 Posts
fogging

Stabil is good stuff. I have not used the fogging oil but I do use stabil in all my gas engines.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Mr. Glgeek

Thanks for the spy bot link I have been using adaware.

For the engine the sta bil fogger will work do not forget to add some sta bil to the fuel as well. This will keep it somewhat fresh, no worries about carbs gumming up as this bike doesnt have any :) actually you could use some Marvel Mystery oil and a spray bottle for the engine. I live in the Omaha area and usually get to ride at least once a month so I do not do much for the winter thing. Just make sure there is a spot for it in my shop, the wood burner keeps it warm and cozy. :) Good luck, now to get the quad out and ready for the snow!!

·
Registered
20,954 Posts
Has anyone seen anything in the owners manual recommending fogging a 1800? Seems un necessary to me, unless you would be storing the bike in a very corrosive enviroment. :yw1:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Has anyone seen anything in the owners manual recommending fogging a 1800? Seems un necessary to me, unless you would be storing the bike in a very corrosive enviroment.
for winter storage i have followed the instructions on page 167 in the owner's manual.
i thought that a spray might coat the cylinder walls more thoroughly.
not uncommon in minnesota on sudden warm days to cover the whole bike in condensation. have had the airbox drain tube fill with water (i pull the plug on it for the winter since i found that). could happen inside the engine as well as out i suppose.

thanx,
geek

·
Registered
846 Posts
I have been using an old can of Mercury Marine Engine Fogging Oil when I store the lawn mower, tractor, snowblower, etc. Seems to work well but the first time you start the thing after storage, it usually puts out a big belch of smoke. Shows it worked by coating the cylinder walls.

·
Registered
300 Posts
winterizing

there is also a plug dry pac
its a plug that screws into the head in place of the spark plug and it has a cone that will hold a certian amount of desicant like the smaller packets found in some other app. like vitamins and other botteld dry products i think they come in a three pac but not sure

S

·
0 Posts
I used to fog the cylinders on bikes prior to storage but found them hard to start in spring and usually required new plugs. I quit that and just use stabil in the gas. I had recently started up my snowmobiles after sitting dorment for 2 years and they ran just fine, no new plugs gas stil smell clean and not varnish like. I and sold on the stabil stuff. BTW the snow melted but at least I know they will start again. :cry:

Prior to using stabil the spring routine would involve a carb tear down and rebuild due to crud and varnish buildup.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Just to eliminate any problems, I keep it on a battery tender, put stabil in the gas at last fill up, and start the bike once a month and run it till it is at full temperature.

Only have to do this about three times and then it is out the door.

However I do understand that this scenario might not work for everyone.

Bulldog

1 - 12 of 12 Posts