GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noted for some time that she won't start in gear with SS up. Doing something like shifting to neutral and she fires up. In trying to figure it out I notice the following:
1.With SS up in 1st sometimes she starts sometimes not.
2. If no start, shifting to neutral results in a start.
3.It always seems to start in neutral.
4.With side stand down in 1st ,no start as per normal: kick stand up, usually no start(sometimes she starts). Shift to neutral results in a start.
Sounds to me it's in the SS switch. I would appreciate opinions from you guys.
Thanks,
Motodoc42

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Clutch switch. Work the clutch switch a few times and it will probably work. Spray some electrical contact cleaner into the clutch switch area. Usually helps.

That's my bet on this!

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,206 Posts
Here is the scoop, the ECM and starting system needs a ground from one of two places to start and let the engine run. The first one is the sidestand in the up position supplies a ground to one of the clutch lever switches and on to the starting system. So when it's in the down position, there's no ground for the clutch lever switch to send on to the starting system. So, when it's down the ground needs to come from somewhere else. This is the 2nd place, from gear position switch. It sends the ground to the starting system when it's in the neutral position only. So, your symptom would lead you to believe the sidestand is the culprit, but, if the clutch lever switch is dirty or intermittent you could get the same symptom. You can confirm or eliminate the sidestand with a simple test. Start the bike in neutral, sidestand up, put it into reverse, hit the starter/reverse button and make sure it will back up a little. Now put the sidestand down, try to back up now. If it backs up with the sidestand up, and then won't with the sidestand down, your problem is with the clutch lever switch. If your sidestand switch is bad, the bike won't back up with the sidestand up or down.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is the scoop, the ECM and starting system needs a ground from one of two places to start and let the engine run. The first one is the sidestand in the up position supplies a ground to one of the clutch lever switches and on to the starting system. So when it's in the down position, there's no ground for the clutch lever switch to send on to the starting system. So, when it's down the ground needs to come from somewhere else. This is the 2nd place, from gear position switch. It sends the ground to the starting system when it's in the neutral position only. So, your symptom would lead you to believe the sidestand is the culprit, but, if the clutch lever switch is dirty or intermittent you could get the same symptom. You can confirm or eliminate the sidestand with a simple test. Start the bike in neutral, sidestand up, put it into reverse, hit the starter/reverse button and make sure it will back up a little. Now put the sidestand down, try to back up now. If it backs up with the sidestand up, and then won't with the sidestand down, your problem is with the clutch lever switch. If your sidestand switch is bad, the bike won't back up with the sidestand up or down.
You say "clutch lever switches" and then later in your post you say switch.
She backs up per normal as you noted. So the problem must be at the clutch. Is there one or two clutch switches or does one switch perform two functions? Confusing! At least to me.

Thanks again,
Motodoc42

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,206 Posts
There's 2 switches up there, one is for the cruise system to cancel and the other is your culprit. Your bad switch will have 2 black wires on it.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
:thumbup:Not only is he very knowledgeable about our bikes, he has a talent for explaining things so we can all understand.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,206 Posts
Thanks Ed, I find that to be one of the hardest things about helping on the internet. I know what I'm thinking, but typing it out so someone else can understand it is tough sometimes. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
You say "clutch lever switches" and then later in your post you say switch.
She backs up per normal as you noted. So the problem must be at the clutch. Is there one or two clutch switches or does one switch perform two functions? Confusing! At least to me.

Thanks again,
Motodoc42
I know this is an old thread but you seem to know your stuff so...…..I have a problem with my side stand safety switch. When the side stand is put in the down position , the S light comes on on the dash as it should but it will still will start in gear with the clutch in and also when the bike is running the side stand will not kill the engine if it's put in gear. Reverse also works with the side stand down and it shouldn't...…. got any ideas? I've tested the switch and have continuity on G and GW when down and continuity on YB and G when sidestand is up which is normal...…. GW and G on the wiringharness side have continuity to ground at all times and I think the GW should not have continuity til the side stand is down...….?

·
Administrator
4,424 Posts
Hotrodpearl - Every now and then a new member first posts need to be 'approved.' Such was the case with yours, hence the delay in posting. You are now approved and should be good to go. Also, BTW, welcome to the board! And yes, it's been said that @techdude2000 "does know his stuff". :grin2:

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,206 Posts
I know this is an old thread but you seem to know your stuff so...…..I have a problem with my side stand safety switch. When the side stand is put in the down position , the S light comes on on the dash as it should but it will still will start in gear with the clutch in and also when the bike is running the side stand will not kill the engine if it's put in gear. Reverse also works with the side stand down and it shouldn't...…. got any ideas? I've tested the switch and have continuity on G and GW when down and continuity on YB and G when sidestand is up which is normal...…. GW and G on the wiringharness side have continuity to ground at all times and I think the GW should not have continuity til the side stand is down...….?
Welcome to the board! What model year and option level is your wing? Make sure the side stand switch is operating properly without the harness plugged into it. Green is shorted to green/white when it’s up and green is shorted to yellow/black when it’s down. The green/white wire should only read a short to ground when the side stand is up. If it reads a short to ground all the time, then it is shorted to ground somewhere on the bike. The most likely place for this to occur is at the steering stem if the bike has risers installed or inside the left handlebar. It’s easy for the wires to get pinched in the cover’s screws on the underside of the handlebar. If no short is found up front, then you will have to unplug the cruise/reverse control module to see if it is providing the short to this wire internally. Let me know what you find.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts