GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if this is the isolator for the trailer lights that goes on the bike? If it is, who makes it? I need to locate some instructions for installation.

It came on a used Kuryakyn hitch that I bought but does not appear to be a Kury isolator. It has four mini fuse holders, two of which have 5 amp fuses, and the other two have 7.5 amp fuses. There is a red wire which I think goes to the battery which has a full size 30 amp fuse and a black wire which I presume is the ground. There is also 4-pin mini connector with 4 wires going into the same end of the ??relay?? as the red and black wire. Lastly, there is a full size 5-pin connector that attached to the hitch head that the trailer connector plugs into coming off the other end of the relay.

If anyone recognizes this and can tell me where to find installation instructions, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Doug

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have an isolator (with my Rivco hitch) and if size means anything it appears to be alot smaller than my Rivco isolator.....

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
It is definately an isolator. You should be able to look at an electrical schematic and verify what wires come from the plastic plug and figure out how to wire it in to the bike(if they are correctly color coded). You have a hot lead to the battery and a ground lead. You will have 4 other input leads for tail lights, break lights, left turm and right turn.
At the trailer plug end you will have the 5 output leads for ground, tail, break, left and right turn lights.
It seems to be missing the splitter harness that allows you to wire it into the bike without cutting and wires. It can used with some effort but you may be better off to order a new one. I got mine from Electrical Connection and works perfectly.

Jeff...

·
Banned
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It seems to be missing the splitter harness that allows you to wire it into the bike without cutting and wires. It can used with some effort but you may be better off to order a new one. I got mine from Electrical Connection and works perfectly.

Jeff...
Thanks to all for responding. Jeff, where would the splitter harness go? Would it plug into the 4-pin connector in the middle picture?

Doug

·
Registered
50 Posts
Isolator?

Why do you need a isolator? Have not had on on my bike for about 4 years now since hitch and trailer installed. I am missing something?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Longhorn, see this post here.

This is a post I made yesterday and someone gave a good explanation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts