GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/480162892790010/

I went and looked at it today but it started raining and we were not able to set it up completely. It looked to be in very good condition for 11 years old. Original owner.

Has electric brakes. We are leaving for Glacier on Thursday. I'd be a little pressed to get it wired to my bike (I have a round 4 pin, this is round 5 pin) in time for our trip. The thought of sleeping in a camper vs tent is very tempting.

TIA for your advice

For those not on FB .

$3,200
Folding Pop Up Camper Trailer with swivel coupler.
King Size bed unfolds in minutes.
25 cubic feet fiberglass body 4' x 8', stores camping supplies.
Adjustable Cooler rack with a 36qt cooler and cover.
LED rear chrome bumper light bar
Spare tire
Sun/rain canopy (includes poles ropes and stakes)
Window awning set
Chrome rims
Gas cylinder lifts for bed
Matching Tonneau cover includes zippered pouch for storage.
Guaranteed lots of fun!

Condition
Used - Good
Brand
Aspen Classic

Attachments

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
You will enjoy it. I like mine.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I would say the price might be a bit high but not crazy. I paid around $3000 for mine about 3 years ago and it was a 2009. Pretty much identical specs as that one. I have the aluminum rims instead of the chrome ones.

As far as the brakes, if it does have them, it should be a round 6 pin on the trailer side. If it is a 5 pin, it may not have the brakes. Mine had the brakes but I never bothered to connect them because I never got around to picking up a brake controller and actually, never really found the need for it. So it can be pulled just fine without hooking up the brakes. And a buddy of mine also had an Aspen and he didnt have the brakes and did just fine without them. Since you are already wired for a 4 pin, I'm guessing yours also has a 5 to 4 converter. All you would have to do is splice in to the 5 wires before that connector as the converter isnt needed. It wouldnt take much but you do need to find out if it needs the 5 pin round or the 6 pin round.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have any of you guys towed one of these like over Lolo pass or Bear Tooth? I don't want to sap all the fun of getting to the destination.

Sent from my cellphone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Haven't been to Lolo pass yet but did Chief Joseph Hwy and Beartooth Pass. But, the Aspen was sitting in a campground setup in Cody. I did however go over the Big Horn Mountains pulling it on my way to campground down US 14 and again going home down US 16. It did fine. I have also pulled it through the Smoky Mtns, down the Cherahola and also Moonshine Run, along with many other places like those. The buddy I mentioned earlier along with another couple I know went on from Cody through Yellowstone towards the Grand Tetons, Glacier National Park, etc... and they were both pulling their Aspens along. My buddy has a 2010 and the couple has a 2010 converted to a CSC Trike. My buddy loves to plan and will usually find a central spot to set camp near the roads he wants to ride then does them without the Aspen when possible. The Aspens really tow nice and will not be as noticeable as you think they would. Also, along those mountain roads and passes, you are not trying to blast through like you might in the Dragon (US129) but rather trying to take in as much of the scenery as you can. IMHO, I would get that Aspen, plan out some central locations for campgrounds so you can have it set up, and then go out and ride some of the roads. That is probably the best way to do it. You will still have to pull it from campground to campground down some of the roads. Worst case, if it doesnt end up being what you want, you can sell it when you get back for close to what you paid for it. They hold their value well.

One thing to add, there are some parks and campgrounds out west that require hard-sided campers because of bears and the Aspen wouldnt be allowed. But if you do a little research, you should still find plenty of campgrounds where you will be ok.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Have pulled campers thru Rocky Mtn Natl Pk, Monarch and several others. Even a couple of trips thru the Dragon. You can keep up with normal traffic. Usually have SWMBO on board so that is as much of a limiter as anything. :grin2:

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Have any of you guys towed one of these like over Lolo pass or Bear Tooth? I don't want to sap all the fun of getting to the destination.

I hope you're kidding; or maybe just completely inexperienced in towing a trailer. I had a Kwik Kamp for about 7 years and used it a fair amount. The KK weighed about 300 lbs PLUS the stuff you load into it. Taking off and stopping is a whole new experience. You can still enjoy riding the curves and ups and downs, but it ain't nuttin like riding just the Wing. Take it with you on your trip, but always be aware of the amount of weight that will be pushing you when you stop; and trying to "drag the pegs" is out of the question. Be safe and enjoy this new experience!!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I offered $2,700. He counted with $3,000... thinking... thinking

The thought of no longer having to cook on a backpack stove, not packing a tent and air mattress is nice. Bringing real size camp chairs and leaving the kermit chairs at home. Having a real cooler vs our tiny collapsible cooler.

Still thinking...

We are staying at Fish Creek campground in Glacier. Planned on tenting. May still. It does say on the National Park website that they can close down the camping for tents and soft sided campers if bears are in the area. It happened to us once before in SW Colorado. Fortunately cabins were available. Also learned to locate the closest big RV with a Texas flag. They always have fire arms and are willing to let us seek temporary shelter from bears.

Hmm... $3k....

We are also thinking we could tow this behind my or the wife's car. Bring the dog camping. The possibilities!

Hmm...

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hope you're kidding; or maybe just completely inexperienced in towing a trailer. I had a Kwik Kamp for about 7 years and used it a fair amount. The KK weighed about 300 lbs PLUS the stuff you load into it. Taking off and stopping is a whole new experience. You can still enjoy riding the curves and ups and downs, but it ain't nuttin like riding just the Wing. Take it with you on your trip, but always be aware of the amount of weight that will be pushing you when you stop; and trying to "drag the pegs" is out of the question. Be safe and enjoy this new experience!!
We have thousands of miles towing a Uni-Go. It really is invisible, well until you try to back it up. Zero experience towing a two wheel trailer.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
We have thousands of miles towing a Uni-Go. It really is invisible, well until you try to back it up. Zero experience towing a two wheel trailer.

Never had a Uni-go, but did have a Hannigan Europa for over 10 years and almost 90k miles of use. The Hannigan (always loaded when it was hooked up) was almost "invisible" on any trip and I could do the **** out of The Dragon with no problems whatsoever. I would NEVER attempt the same style/type of riding with the Kwik Kamp.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
You really want it I can tell. Rigging up the wiring wouldnt take more than about a half hour to do tops. And unless you do it, you will always wonder if you missed out. And like I said, worst case, sell it when you get back. You will probably have other chances to go back and tent camp if it doesnt work out. But from personal experience and other friends who own one, I dont think you will be dissapointed...

Like was mentioned above by rickathome, just be careful slowing down and leave some extra space. Load all the heavy stuff in the rear of cargo. You will want to keep tongue weight at 10-15% to minimize any chance of swaying. So roughly 40-60lbs would work pretty good.

Pay attention to setup and take down as it is a little confusing the first couple times.
http://www.aspenqualitytrailers.com/faq/set-up-video

And more info:
https://www.trailmasterinc.com/

For wiring, here is the wiring codes for 6 pin. If it's a 5 pin, it wont have that center pin.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Its home! See pic 1 My bike has a 5 pin round connector. Rare. It was in a kit that came with the isolator setup for my BMW. I put the same socket on my wing. You can see it in the second picture.
The Aspen has a 6 pin round connector.
The 6 pin vehicle side socket is huge! I don't think it would fit on my fender. May convert it all to the 5 pin. Thanks for the wiring diagram!
Well, I have 2 days to figure it out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts