GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being slightly overdue for a final drive oil change, I have a bottle of gear lube sitting on the shelf and wondering if OK to use. Honda owners manual simply states: Hypoid gear oil SAE80W.
Here is what I have:
Manufactured by: Specialty Oil Company
High performance limited slip SAE80W-90 Gear Lubricant
API Service
GL-6, GL-5, and Mack GO-G

Is this OK to use?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Not sure about the "limited slip" part. That might include some additives not intended for the GW. Others will chim in I'm sure.

·
Registered
20,760 Posts
Being slightly overdue for a final drive oil change, I have a bottle of gear lube sitting on the shelf and wondering if OK to use. Honda owners manual simply states: Hypoid gear oil SAE80W.
Here is what I have:
Manufactured by: Specialty Oil Company
High performance limited slip SAE80W-90 Gear Lubricant
API Service
GL-6, GL-5, and Mack GO-G

Is this OK to use?
try reading your manual again, GL-5 rating is what the manual says to look for and the lube u mention has it so it will work fine :thumbup: most gear lubes sold have the GL-5 rating, if it doesn't have GL-5 rating on the bottle don't use it :thumbup:

·
Vendor
16,357 Posts
try reading your manual again, GL-5 rating is what the manual says to look for and the lube u mention has it so it will work fine :thumbup: most gear lubes sold have the GL-5 rating, if it doesn't have GL-5 rating on the bottle don't use it :thumbup:
Exactly ... read the Owners Manual and use it as an athoritive guide.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Exactly ... read the Owners Manual and use it as an authoritative guide.
Well at this very moment I am reading the 2007 Goldwing owner's manual yet again and nowhere is a rating mentioned. It simply states "Hypoid gear oil SAE 80" that's it. This is why I am asking this question. GL-5 rating pretty much covers most any use though. Bottle does say for conventional, limited slip, or posi differentials so I don't see why it wouldn't be compatible with the Wing's final drive.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
I would stick with the "hypoid" label. That is the differance. Believe GL5 rating is same for, "plan and hypoid", but two differant products. It is the additive differance I believe, not grease rating. (meaning both could be gl5)

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
You have posed a very interesting question. Very same question I posed to my area Honda Service Manager when it was time for my 1st change!
1. I hope, you stating you're slightly overdue, means you have at least 24,000 miles on the bike.
2. Not being real happy w/the answer I received from the service mgr. I proceeded to find other sources! Knowing(just my choice at the time)I was going synthetic and was going to give Amsoil products a try, I found a distributor within 2 miles of me that is also a Wing owner.
Here's what he sold me as well as telling me he has used this in his Wings
since it's introduction:
Amsoil Synthetic Gear Lube SAE 80W-90
Label states: "multifunctional" lubricant meets one or more of the following: API GL-5 & MT1, MIL-PRF-2105E, Dana SHAES 234, Mack GO-J, Arvin/Meritor 0-76D. Compatible w/synthetic and petroleum gear oils and most limited slip differentials
So, some of the markings you stated are repeated on the bottle I have.
For you to be absolutely OK to use what you got, call Honda Customer Service-Motorcycle Division @ (866) 784-1870.
Please let all of us know exactly what the answer is as to acceptable gear lube.
Thanks

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Greetings!

If it meets API GL-5, is the correct viscosity, and stated for use in conventional differentials it is fine for your GL1800 rear, which is a fairly conventional Hypoid gear set design.

Don't overthink it.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You have posed a very interesting question. Very same question I posed to my area Honda Service Manager when it was time for my 1st change!
1. I hope, you stating you're slightly overdue, means you have at least 24,000 miles on the bike.
2. Not being real happy w/the answer I received from the service mgr. I proceeded to find other sources! Knowing(just my choice at the time)I was going synthetic and was going to give Amsoil products a try, I found a distributor within 2 miles of me that is also a Wing owner.
Here's what he sold me as well as telling me he has used this in his Wings
since it's introduction:
Amsoil Synthetic Gear Lube SAE 80W-90
Label states: "multifunctional" lubricant meets one or more of the following: API GL-5 & MT1, MIL-PRF-2105E, Dana SHAES 234, Mack GO-J, Arvinmeritor 0-76D. Compatible w/synthetic and petroleum gear oils and most limited slip differentials
So, some of the markings you stated are repeated on the bottle I have.
For you to be absolutely OK to use what you got, call Honda Customer Service-Motorcycle Division @ (866) 784-1870.
Please let all of us know exactly what the answer is as to acceptable gear lube.
Thanks
Sadly I have a low mileage Wing, just under 10K. Until last spring, I had three bikes, now just the Wing but still have two trucks and a roadster so mileage is divided. I also live in close proximity to everything. The Wing is my daily driver except snow/rain storms so the 10K city miles is probably the worst thing on the final drive. Lots of stop and go and constant shifting so it's well overdue for a final drive oil change!
Hypoid just means the type of gears and the gear oil I have in question seems to meet all the criteria. It also states for "Extreme pressure/high temp use, low foaming, anti corrosion inhibitors" so I am just going to give it a try. I will probably do another change in a few days so it will act as a flush and then stick to once a year with engine oil change as I run Castrol Power RS Racing 4T 10W-40 full synthetic. I can only imagine what is going to drain from the final drive. :eek:4:

·
Registered
1,104 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Greetings!

If it meets API GL-5, is the correct viscosity, and stated for use in conventional differentials it is fine for your GL1800 rear, which is a fairly conventional Hypoid gear set design.

Don't overthink it.
I do tend to overthink things to the point of doubt :shrug: The bottle said GL-5 so in it went, done! After almost 10K miles, the old stuff didn't look that bad, had a grayish/olive color and flowed easy. I was expecting a thick black sludge to drain out. The dimple in the magnetic drain plug was solidly filled with crud though. Well on to the coolant/clutch/brakes very soon.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm glad it worked out O.K. for you. Some folks have a very hard time getting the fill plug or the drain plug to come out.
I was actually shocked the plugs were still there and not even leaking because they were so loose. Just the weight of the wrench and a feather touch got them turning! It's a very easy service procedure as are most things on the Wing. I read the horror stories about over tightened/seized parts and oil filters, and usually it's the service guys at the dealers that mess things up. That's why I like to do my own maintenance.

S

·
0 Posts
I "checked" mine just the other day at 108k and it's just like new. So needless to say no oil change. In general rear lube is a lifetime deal and only needs to be changed if the seals leaked.
It's sealed and oil never wears out. :thumbup:

·
Registered
169 Posts
I "checked" mine just the other day at 108k and it's just like new. So needless to say no oil change. In general rear lube is a lifetime deal and only needs to be changed if the seals leaked.
It's sealed and oil never wears out. :thumbup:
:joke: thats meant toungin cheek i am sure:shrug: but some that asking questions might think you are serious

S

·
0 Posts
Well now think about it - how often do you change differential fluids in your cars or trucks?
In general - never, unless the seals start leaking.
In a sealed system like this or front forks where there is little chance of contaminants entering the system there is no real need. Oil does not actually wear out it just becomes contaminated in time.
While changing does not hurt it certainly is not a requirement. It's just one of those things people do so they feel better about their machine.

It is funny how much over maintenance is done on motorcycles while the family car just keeps going and going and going with little care at all.

S

·
0 Posts
Well the average human changes differential fluid - never is all I am saying. :?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts