GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks... I'm in need of some experienced advice. I just switched to a new set of Bridgestone Exedras for the wing. I switched from a throughly worn out set of Elite 3s (~18K miles) and also went from a 70 series to a 60 series rear.

OMG! This feels like a completely different bike... very touchy, almost squirrely and as if it slides a bit through slow sweepers. Absolutely nothing aggressive about the first ride on the new rubber, just taking in the sunshine running back home.

So what is going on? Fresh skins that are rounded vs flatten? Tires that need scuffed in? Change b/t the 'Stones and Dunlops? Smaller rear aspect ratio dropping the rear about an inch or so and creating a slightly different steering angle? Maybe run a lower tire pressure? As I type this, "Yes, all of the above?"

I'm just a little concerned that I made the right decision on the tires. I don't recall this feeling with the E3s. Is it me or is this normal when switching brands, sizes, etc...? Thanks for some friendly, experienced advice.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Bridgestone Exedra is the wrong tire for a GL1800. If you want to run stones you need a 709 front and 704 rear.
:agree:

Who picked the tires, you or the dealer?
If the dealer decided to install these, go back and have them install the right tires for you.

·
Registered
41 Posts
is this normal

Gemtlemen, if you look at your 709 it has excedra on the side. couldn't see the rear. it may be what he has. just saying. dp

·
Registered
334 Posts
The rear 704 is also an Exedra. I just purchased a set of these through the DL parts link when there was a recent sale. $269 delivered.http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=6688&str=4 Haven't installed them yet. My guess is you were getting squirrely because the tires are new. Scuff them up a bit. Bridgestones are typically very sticky on the pavement, and they are the right tire for the GL1800

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The rear 704 is also an Exedra. I just purchased a set of these through the DL parts link when there was a recent sale. $269 delivered.http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=6688&str=4 Haven't installed them yet. My guess is you were getting squirrely because the tires are new. Scuff them up a bit. Bridgestones are typically very sticky on the pavement, and they are the right tire for the GL1800
Thanks gentleman. I got the tires through Wingstuff.com for the same price and am pretty sure they are the numbers you've quoted me. After another 75 miles this afternoon running errands, the feel of the tires actually got better. So, I'm thinking the smaller 180/60 on the rear plus the overall newness factor and getting them scuffed in must be the main feedback factors I'm feeling with the bike. When you change them over JBrack, just be real easy on them for the first 100 miles or so. Again, thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Thanks gentleman. I got the tires through Wingstuff.com for the same price and am pretty sure they are the numbers you've quoted me. After another 75 miles this afternoon running errands, the feel of the tires actually got better. So, I'm thinking the smaller 180/60 on the rear plus the overall newness factor and getting them scuffed in must be the main feedback factors I'm feeling with the bike. When you change them over JBrack, just be real easy on them for the first 100 miles or so. Again, thanks for the insight.
If the're Bridgestones 704 and 709, scratch what I said. :shrug:

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
So what is going on? Fresh skins that are rounded vs flatten?
Isn't it amazing how great a tire handles and feels when it's round instead of flat? :lol: (Sorry. Couldn't resist the dig.)

You experience was created by a lot of things, not just the rounded profile of the tires. New tires always feel better, are quieter and handle better. But the Bridgestones are simply great handling tires that stick like glue, even in the rain. I hate how fast they wear, but what are you going to do. Can't have everything.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Its not squirrely, its called handling. When my tires are squared off it actually takes some effort to turn into a curve. And Bridgestone 704 and 709 are Exedras. They also make a bias ply called Exedra.

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
Scrub em up for a bit...they will be ok...

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
The first thing I notice when I get new tires is how easily the bike turns because the new tires are nice and rounded and old ones have ridges and get a little squared off. I assume your air pressure is somewhere near 36-38 front and 40-42 rear.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Scrub em up for a bit...they will be ok...
:agree: New tires have whatever chemical they use to release them from the moulding. I was told a long time ago to go easy on tires for 100 miles or so until they get all the newness off.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Hey folks... I'm in need of some experienced advice. I just switched to a new set of Bridgestone Exedras for the wing. I switched from a throughly worn out set of Elite 3s (~18K miles) and also went from a 70 series to a 60 series rear.

OMG! This feels like a completely different bike... very touchy, almost squirrely and as if it slides a bit through slow sweepers. Absolutely nothing aggressive about the first ride on the new rubber, just taking in the sunshine running back home.

So what is going on? Fresh skins that are rounded vs flatten? Tires that need scuffed in? Change b/t the 'Stones and Dunlops? Smaller rear aspect ratio dropping the rear about an inch or so and creating a slightly different steering angle? Maybe run a lower tire pressure? As I type this, "Yes, all of the above?"

I'm just a little concerned that I made the right decision on the tires. I don't recall this feeling with the E3s. Is it me or is this normal when switching brands, sizes, etc...? Thanks for some friendly, experienced advice.
did they re set the forks after tire replacement?

·
Registered
847 Posts
:agree:
New tires have whatever chemical they use to release them from the moulding. I was told a long time ago to go easy on tires for 100 miles or so until they get all the newness off.
I was told the same thing when I got my new tires about a month ago. :agree:

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
:agree: New tires have whatever chemical they use to release them from the moulding. I was told a long time ago to go easy on tires for 100 miles or so until they get all the newness off.
That is a common misconception. The real reason you want to take it easy for the first 100 miles or so is to make sure the beads are fully seated, and to make sure nothing is wrong with the tires. You don't want a bead to pop while dragging the pegs a tight turn.

The release compound myth would not make sense anyway. If you take it easy for the first 100 miles, you would only be scrubbing off the release compound in the middle of the tire. How are you going to get it off at the edges? The only way to scrub it off at the edges would be to lean the bike agressively. Kind of a Catch 22.

When I get tires replaced, the first thing I do is come home and spray the tires with Fantastik and scrub off the oils from manufacturing.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
myth or not, i always take it easy on new tires for about 5-10 miles, and i make some zig-zags (if i am in a place where i can) to get the edges of the tires on the pavement. i have never bothered with trying to poke around for a 100 miles; and you have never had to creep around--just don't go hellbent for leather in the first couple of miles.maybe it is a myth, but it is easy to take it somewhat easy for a few miles. however, now i do not use a 704 on the rear:twisted:. and i am far too lazy to bother spraying and cleaning the oils off the tires; i let the pavement do that for me!!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Excedra G704/G709 are the proper stones for the 1800.....I have a set on mine and yes, at first they will feel different but after breaking they are great.....a lot better that the E3s...and quieter!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Oops...my mistake, I never noticed the 709 said exedra on the side,
I had noticed when ordering online that the 1500 tires were listed as exedras, but the radials were just listed by number.

I finally get to be first on a post and I put my foot in my mouth, oh well I'm going for a ride.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts

All new tires are slick till you scrub them in to get all the mold release off them then
they stick. (well except Dunlops) they always feel like the mold release never scrubs
off them
:roll:

Enjoy your new tires after their scrubbed in with proper air pressures :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts