GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious about the "flat spot" in the center of this tire. The tires were on the bike when I bought it (it's a 2007), so I don't know how many miles on this tire. I thought the tires should have a round profile, not a flat area like this. It looks to be about 1" wide.

Is this because of wear or do these tires look like this when new? Looks like a lot of wear (miles) left on this tire, but it certainly looks odd to me. I've kept the pressure at 39 PSI cold since I got it, appx. 2,000 miles ridden by me.

Attachments

·
Registered
686 Posts
I'm curious about the "flat spot" in the center of this tire. The tires were on the bike when I bought it (it's a 2007), so I don't know how many miles on this tire. I thought the tires should have a round profile, not a flat area like this. It looks to be about 1" wide.

Is this because of wear or do these tires look like this when new? Looks like a lot of wear (miles) left on this tire, but it certainly looks odd to me. I've kept the pressure at 39 PSI cold since I got it, appx. 2,000 miles ridden by me.
That's been ridden for a few miles before you got it. That flat area (make certain that you check the depth of the grooves) does appear on E3s after a few thousand miles of riding.

ymmv, but I find that with aggressive riding, I'm getting about 12,000 miles out of a set of E3 front tires.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
That looks normal. Your pressure is about right. I run 38 front and 41 rear and get 15,000 miles out of E3's. Maintain the pressure, check them often and ride....no matter what tire you run.

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
That's normal wear on an Elite 3. When fresh the Elite 3 tread grooves do not extend across the tread center. With lots of interstate highway travel as they wear they show a flat area in the center.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
Harder rubber compound in the centre, intended to improve length of tire life while not reducing cornering peformance (or softer sides to improve cornering without reducing tire life)

·
Love The DCT
12,011 Posts
Harder rubber compound in the centre, intended to improve length of tire life while not reducing cornering peformance (or softer sides to improve cornering without reducing tire life)
Dunlop Elite 3 tires are not dual compound tires. Neither are the D250's. Here is the answer from Dunlop when I asked them if Elite 3's and D250's were dual compound tires. :doorag:

Dunlop Tire Contact Form Submission, Comments :

Are the D250 and Elite 3 tires for the GL 1800 a 2CT (dual compound) tire
having a harder compound in the center of the tire and a softer compound
for better grip on either side, or are they a single compound tire?

Thank you for taking the time to contact us with your Dunlop motorcycle
tire questions. Neither of the two tire models referenced are
multi-compound tires.

"Dunlop Tire"
<[email protected]>
[email protected]

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Looks like the only time the bike was leaned was when it was on the side stand!:22yikes:

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
chicken strips

I believe due to lack of cornering they are called "chicken strips".
And I thought my chicken strips were wide!

Here's a photo of my old E3 @ 18,000 miles. Clearly visible is 1) the center 'flat spot' (I do a lot of freeway miles), 2) the two areas of less wear from cornering, and 3) the chicken strips on the outside.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
Dunlop Elite 3 tires are not dual compound tires. Neither are the D250's. Here is the answer from Dunlop when I asked them if Elite 3's and D250's were dual compound tires. :doorag:

Dunlop Tire Contact Form Submission, Comments :

Are the D250 and Elite 3 tires for the GL 1800 a 2CT (dual compound) tire
having a harder compound in the center of the tire and a softer compound
for better grip on either side, or are they a single compound tire?

Thank you for taking the time to contact us with your Dunlop motorcycle
tire questions. Neither of the two tire models referenced are
multi-compound tires.

"Dunlop Tire"
<[email protected]>
[email protected]
Thanks for the correction - I'm not sure where I got the idea they were dual compound.

I wonder why they wear that way then. The centre strip on ours is usually 'higher' than the side strips. I haven't been able to find a pressure that results in a different wear pattern.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Thanks for the correction - I'm not sure where I got the idea they were dual compound.

I wonder why they wear that way then. The centre strip on ours is usually 'higher' than the side strips. I haven't been able to find a pressure that results in a different wear pattern.

Huh ?
We are being punked, Right ?

RJ

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Normal E-3 wear pattern; don't be concerned about it. My last set did 18k with perfectly even side-to-side wear and little tread deformation... the "strip" appeared after the first few thousand miles.

Keep your pressures up for the best wear; I personally run 41f/43r cold. :thumbup:

·
IronMan
17,623 Posts
got 17, 500 on mine an leaving for 2500 mile trip thur plenty left n wear is even 38 lbs happy with tire

1 - 13 of 13 Posts