GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer wants $20 to mount each tire on the Wing rim, that's after I remove the tire and rim from the bike myself. If I bring the bike in they want $69 an hour labor for this. Is this reasonable? I'm thinking of buying a tire mounting machine and doing it myself. Thanks for any info and opinions.

·
Vendor
22,510 Posts
$20 a tire is not bad, as long as they don't insist that you purchase the tires from them.

The big reason I bought equipment and learned to do my own was because the dealers would either refuse to mount them if I didn't buy them there, or they would triple their normal mounting price for tires carried in.

Then if you try to buy tires from them, they wanted $200 more than what I could mail order them for. I understand the dealers need to make a profit, but they need to understand that they need to at least make an attempt to compete in price.

It cost me about $120 in tools for the Harbor Freight stand, tire irons, and rim savers. It paid for itself on the first set of tires I mounted, as the dealer wanted $50 to mount and balance tires not purchased there, and that was with the wheels off the bike.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fred, those prices are if I buy the tires from the dealer who would install them. I didn't ask about if I bought the tires somewhere else.

·
Premium Member
5,974 Posts
ElBando,
From NE Pennsylvania, you can't be that far from Bulldog place. I'll be he can beat our local stealer for the price of tires and mounting. Why don't you send him a message and see what he can do for you. You'll also have the comfort of knowing they are mounted and balanced and correctly. And most of all you get lots of fun conversation. You also get to watch the procedure to give yourself comfort about how it is done.
Ride up, get new tires, stop for lunch at Kranky Pants, ride home. Doesn't get much better than that.

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
There is a dealer around here that charges 25 per wheel if you bring the wheels and tires to him. You can buy the tires from anywhere.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CJS, I might take your advice. Thanks

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
$ 20.00 bucks a wheel is a pretty darn good deal compared to the dealers in Atlanta. I believe they charge me $40.00 to dismount, mount and balance a tire. That is with me taking the wheel and tire to them off the bike. I would be very happy with 20.00 bucks. If you really stop and think about it, what do you think is a fair price? I think anything less than $ 20.00 dollars is too cheap for a dealer to charge.

·
Registered
21,332 Posts
dealer here used to do them for $8 per wheel and i was happy

then it went up to $10 per wheel, when they raised it to $20 per wheel i still thought it was a fair price but built my own stand and bought the No Mar tools, more work but i'm happy and have done a few other folks wheels, the tools have more than paid for themselves, also bought an extra set of wheels so now it's pretty easy to always get full wear out of the tires

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You all got me thinking, it seems $20 a tire isn't a bad price. I remember a while back I paid $5 a tire, I think that was in 1966. I guess times are a changing.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Took the old tire/rim to my dealer with my own new tire and they charged me $27.80 to mount and balance. Also had them install a new valve stem for $12.49 which made a grand total of $40.29. It was worth it to me and I was glad to support a good local dealer.

G

·
Awwww... nothing like owning a NoMar, then you can do what you want, when you want, including all your riding buddies. Well worth it, especially if you have any carbon fibre or chrome wheels that YOU care about .
After 30 tire changes your paid for, round the guys up and pay off the machine in no time . :beer3:

Yes !! :yes:

http://www.nomartirechanger.com/

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
OK so if one was to buy the NO Mar tire changer at $600.00, or any tire changer for that matter, how does one balance that tire? How much would a dealer charge to balance a tire you brought in??

G

·
FE, you can either make your own balancer for about twenty bucks or buy one of the many available . It is quite simple :)

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Bulldog & Docs Pricing:

$25 to mount a tire (yours or ours)

$10 to dynamic balance your wheel. (we use OEM style weights when we can)

$4 to dispose your old tire ( or we are very happy for you to take it home with you)

$15 to R&R your wheel(s) ( we wave this for board members if you will hold the flashlight at least...LOL) If you have those freaking rotor covers with lights, bad bolts etc. Lets talk...LOL)

$0 to change valve stem, if it is yours ( $$$ price of the valve stem if it ours)

Kenya (depends on what you ask us if we, KENYA do)

Since you is (see Kenya)

If anyone thinks these prices are high, that is OK with us. We have all the work we desire.

Honestly, I don't see how a dealer can make a profit at these rates. Only way is if they do it as a service in conjunction with a tire sale. However, if the dealer sells you tires at list, he can well afford to mount them for the price of the tires.

Bulldog

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fred H. said:
$20 a tire is not bad, as long as they don't insist that you purchase the tires from them.

The big reason I bought equipment and learned to do my own was because the dealers would either refuse to mount them if I didn't buy them there, or they would triple their normal mounting price for tires carried in.

Then if you try to buy tires from them, they wanted $200 more than what I could mail order them for. I understand the dealers need to make a profit, but they need to understand that they need to at least make an attempt to compete in price.

It cost me about $120 in tools for the Harbor Freight stand, tire irons, and rim savers. It paid for itself on the first set of tires I mounted, as the dealer wanted $50 to mount and balance tires not purchased there, and that was with the wheels off the bike.
Fred,
Probably a stupid question, but can you balance the tires you mount yourself? If yes, how? BTW, I've really enjoyed your videos, however, those feet of yours have haunted my dreams!! :lol:
Thanks, Dogwing

·
Vendor
22,510 Posts
dogwing said:
Fred,
Probably a stupid question, but can you balance the tires you mount yourself? If yes, how? BTW, I've really enjoyed your videos, however, those feet of yours have haunted my dreams!! :lol:
Thanks, Dogwing
Go watch the section on the video for tire changing. I show you how I mount and balance them myself. Made my own balancer out of some angle iron stock and 4 roller blade bearings. Works great, cost me $8.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Wow! I didn't know how lucky I am! I buy my tires at prices comparable to online prices at Road Rider in San Jose. They mount them for $15 ea (wheel off the bike, of course) plus a $2 disposal fee for the dead one. Have I found the one thing that is cheaper in NorCal than elsewhere?

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
IMO having your own tire changing machine is just a great deal of convenience because everything gets done on my time and my priority plus all at my home. There are no phone calls to arrange having the job being scheduled, no removing the wheels and having to jump in the car to take them somewhere to have it done. I like and prefer that compared to the old alternatives of taking them to a nearby shop to have them done (plus a few phone calls, a few trips back and forth, and often some waiting ----- oh, and of course "the money paid". I also save on buying the tires (almost always during a sale) where I want on line and having them shipped free (usually) to my doorstep. Once you have the right tools and gear to change and balance tires, it just gets easier and easier (along with faster) each time I do it.

I'm too spoiled now and wouldn't want to go back to the old way of having it done....

DaleC

1 - 20 of 21 Posts