GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding this week and pulled into a gas station to fill up and at the next pump were 3 riders doing the same - all had Harleys. As I got off the bike, one of the guys said "is your engine running or did you coast in?"
My response -

Yup, its running, but you probably can't hear it because of your hearing loss due to your loud Harley."

Everyone had a friendly laugh and then they started up all three bikes, Oh boy the volume!!! Now I think I'm the one with the hearing loss!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I ride with a couple of different harley guys including my son.
They all let me start the wing first so I can hear it.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ride with a couple of different harley guys including my son.
They all let me start the wing first so I can hear it.
It is pretty quiet, thats why I tend to turn up the sound system with my Ipod connected - My last bike had loud pipes and my head buzzed after riding for an hour or so....love the quiet on this one.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
One of the reasons I bought my Wing was because I don't like loud pipes on anything. Never ran anything but stock in my life. Guess I wasn't too bright as a young guy loved the quiet. Made listening to those AM radios easier

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
In the defense of most of the Harley owners that I know, they all have stock pipes or after market with baffles. Most riders around here with loud pipes ride metric bikes.
Most of them sound like, well just loud.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Yup, its running, but you probably can't hear it because of your hearing loss due to your loud Harley."
Carefull dude making a commit like that in today's world.

You're lucky these guys had a sense-of-humor.

Some around here in "Harley country", would take that as insult.

·
Registered
270 Posts
When I ride with Harley's

We have a few Harley riders in the group we let them take there own spot in the group so we don't have to listen to the noise. But when I pull in the group at a light I just look over and ask them to turn thiers off so I can see if mine is still running. The good thing is when the light turns the wing leaves them sitting

·
Registered
471 Posts
When them HD guys ask me if my wing is running I just tell them "I don't know let's line them up and find out" If they are in public they will always back down. They don't want to be spanked in front of their friends.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Running

We ride with a couple of Harley riders.

They ususally stay in back @ their request so noise does not get to the others.

When beside them, i just look @ the Tach because i cannot hear anything else.

PS. i also use this when the wide says :DID YOU NOT HEAR ME "

EHHHhhhhhhh!!!!!

txs,
Franko

·
Registered
326 Posts
Running

PS. i mean when the WIFE says.

txs, F

·
Registered
869 Posts
sounds like they were just funnin you just like u were back at them, of course your coment was alittle more harsh, they probably didn't hear u anyway..

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
I was riding this week and pulled into a gas station to fill up and at the next pump were 3 riders doing the same - all had Harleys. As I got off the bike, one of the guys said "is your engine running or did you coast in?"
My response -

Everyone had a friendly laugh and then they started up all three bikes, Oh boy the volume!!! Now I think I'm the one with the hearing loss!!

You may or may not realize this, but that remark was intended to be a insult. They probably snickered and shook their heads about the "wuss bike". In their world having a whisper quiet jap bike is well,.......... just plain girly.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The Sound of Silence

A couple HD riders from my church bike club always ask me if I have to file a flight plan with NASA before leaving the garage. Frankly, I like my "space shuttle;" when they're stopping for a "butt break," I'm still fresh. Love that "NASA" engineering.
:yes:

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
When and if they ever figure it out, it will be too late for their hearing to be saved!

·
Registered
42 Posts
A friend remarked to some visitors, "we can hear him a block away". Of course he was referring to my music.:shock: Love that surround sound.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I don't get that comment anymore.
Since I killed the cats and put on the Cobras it sound much better.
Pulled out on the highway Just this morning and got after it because some cars were coming.
Two Guys waiting for their carpool ride were standing in a nearby Parking lot were watching as I took off.
They caught up with me at a gas station a few Miles down the road and pulled over just to tell me how Good it sounded.
:D

·
Registered
111 Posts
I used to think I liked loud pipes. On my Vstar, I had Hard Krome's 3" drag pipes and thought they were great. Now, I can't believe I ever had a bike that loud. I really like the quite, smooth ride. Chris

1 - 20 of 29 Posts