GL1800Riders Forums banner
81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
It worked. To eliminate some confusion, I'll add a couple things below. This is what I did to re-PAIR my old key which I haven't used for about 4 months, maybe more:

1. With bike off and using my good FOB, open the trunk and both saddlebags. Remove left side cover, pull out plug from its clip inside the cover, remove dummy plug from female portion of plug, and get the jumper ready to plug into it.
2. Then I turned off the FOB.
3. Turned on my dysfunctional FOB (as noted above, key used to work fine, but not used in 4 months: didn't work).
4. Use emergency code to turn ignition on
5. Within 15 seconds, plug jumper in. Immediately I hear a repeating beeping sound
6. Press left saddlebag button (normally used to open saddlebag) one time.
7. Beeping sound changes indicating procedure is working: you'll hear this clearly.
8. Turn new FOB off
9. Disconnect jumper
10. Turn ignition off
11. Plug in dummy plug and clip the plug assembly back into place on the bike.
12. Reinstall left side cover, close both saddle bags and trunk
#13. Now that everything is back where it belongs, test re-paired fob to make sure it works properly.

Reactions: garyahouse

·
Registered
2018 DCT Tour
1,089 Posts
#13. Now that everything is back where it belongs, test re-paired fob to make sure it works properly.
Good point. Might help to test rePAIRED FOB's emergency code (manually) as well. I didn't mention this, but I paired it wrong the first time and had to redo it. I shut off everything, turned on "new" FOB, and the bike started normally. However, 5 minutes later: same problem... wouldn't turn on the ignition again. I figured out what I did wrong: I didn't successfully pair the FOB, but thought I did because a moment after pairing, when I turned on the FOB again and then reached up and turned on the ignition, everything worked. What I didn't realize was this:

When you start the bike with the emergency manual code method, and then turn it off, you can turn it back on (even without a key present) for a minute or so after shutting it off. But once a certain amount of time passes, the bike will not restart without a working FOB or going through the emergency start procedure again. That's why I mentioned listening for the bike to begin rapid beeping when plugging in the jumper, and then a change in the frequency of the beeping when ya. hit the saddle bag access button. I didn't hear this the first time I tried pairing the FOB... and didn't realize that the bike was telling me that I did something wrong. It was likely that I waited too long to plug in the jumper: there's a 15 second time limit to get it plugged in after starting the bike with the emergency code.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
“When you start the bike with the emergency manual code method, and then turn it off, you can turn it back on (even without a key present) for a minute or so after shutting it off.”

My excellent salesperson explained this particular feature to me when he reviewed all the bike’s operations.

He explained after using the emergency manual start procedure using the code, the bike could be turned off and restarted again “within a few minutes” without using the code, saying it was likely to allow just enough time to refuel and restart the bike.

Tim

·
Registered
17,721 Posts
I have given up on my second FOB. This was purchased at time of bike purchase and failed a year or two later, the first report of such I am aware of. I did not attempt to re-pair it out of concern that such would occupy another of the limited memories of the bikes smart key processor. Then years later someone did report success in re-programming, so I did too with success with FOB and its emergency code. But, within weeks it failed again. I do have a third FOB and the original, both reliable. That second is trash.

prs

·
Registered
571 Posts
Used my second one for a ride a couple weeks ago. We couldn’t close the side bags or top box. Turned fob off then back on still the same. Started the bike and turned it off the boxes worked. Okay after that. Tried same fob this morning (push button to flash light and open boxes). No go. Later it worked. 🙄. Second fob seems much weaker.

Haven’t changed battery but the fob battery light on dash isn’t on.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
2019 Spare FOB Test

I just tested my spare fob.

2019 DCT Tour (Canadian specification) purchased new June, 2019.

• Spare fob TURNED OFF at time of purchase, June 2019. Never turned on.
  • CR2032 battery replaced June 2021 as preventative maintenance. Fob off. Never turned on.
  • 22-Sept-2022, fob TURNED ON FOR FIRST TIME SINCE JUNE 2019
    • Top case opened normally.
    • Left and right panniers opened normally.
    • Engine started normally
  • Fob turned off again and returned to riding jacket pocket as emergency spare
Tim

·
Vendor
23,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
It worked. To eliminate some confusion, I'll add a couple things below. This is what I did to re-PAIR my old key which I haven't used for about 4 months, maybe more:

1. With bike off and using my good FOB, open the trunk and both saddlebags. Remove left side cover, pull out plug from its clip inside the cover, remove dummy plug from female portion of plug, and get the jumper ready to plug into it.
2. Then I turned off the FOB.
3. Turned on my dysfunctional FOB (as noted above, key used to work fine, but not used in 4 months: didn't work).
4. Use emergency code to turn ignition on
5. Within 15 seconds, plug jumper in. Immediately I hear a repeating beeping sound
6. Press left saddlebag button (normally used to open saddlebag) one time.
7. Beeping sound changes indicating procedure is working: you'll hear this clearly.
8. Turn new FOB off
9. Disconnect jumper
10. Turn ignition off
11. Plug in dummy plug and clip the plug assembly back into place on the bike.
12. Reinstall left side cover, close both saddle bags and trunk

Here are the instructions from the service manual (pages 23-17 and 23-18). One thing it fails to mention, is that both saddlebag doors and the trunk have to be closed initially for it to work.

Font Parallel Screenshot Document

Font Motor vehicle Parallel Document Paper

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
8,281 Posts
Data point: I have a 2018 that came with one fob. I bought two spares (don't ask), both of which I registered. I just checked them: one is working, one is not, even after replacing the battery. I will refresh it.

·
Registered
17,721 Posts
Data point: I have a 2018 that came with one fob. I bought two spares (don't ask), both of which I registered. I just checked them: one is working, one is not, even after replacing the battery. I will refresh it.
Once paired again; keep track of it to see if it fails again, like my second did.

prs

• Helpful
Reactions: gkarasik

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
8,281 Posts
Once paired again; keep track of it to see if it fails again, like my second did.

prs
Thank you. I will. I'm wondering if turning it on/off every couple of months will keep it activated.

Reactions: happyfred

·
Registered
17,721 Posts
Thank you. I will. I'm wondering if turning it on/off every couple of months will keep it activated.
I do not think occasional acctivaton makes a difference; then again, I do not understand everything I know about this situation.

prs

Reactions: gkarasik
81 - 94 of 94 Posts