GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many people are riding around with a helmet that doesnt fit properly? Apparently, just because it is comfortable does not mean it is a proper fit. I knew my Caberg helmet was worn after about 6 years and Ive been looking for a new flip front (modular) helmet as a replacement. I made the mistake of watching this video and now I cant find a helmet that DOES fit! Ive tried on many helmets in the past 2 weeks and some of them feel very tight and comfortable but I can still pull the back edge of it up and move the top edge of the helmet nearly onto my nose...it is too big (the helmet not my nose)! It seems I need to find an oval interior helmet when most of the modulars are round interiors.

Will your helmet roll from the back forward almost onto your nose? Can you twist it from side to side? Does it REALLY fit?

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I believe I have a oval head and shoei shape seems to fit my head the best so far...I wear a Multitec and X-11 in X-large with no shake side to side or front to back,they fit just right for me.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Oval...must be pointed because most helmets "kill" my forehead. Nolan seems to work best for me???:shrug: On my second one, first lasted 4 1/2 years so I feel it was a pretty good value. My wife went with the N90 vs the N103 after we had both been happy with the N102's.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Oval - Arai Profile - KBC Retro - Airoh Mathisse Air - HJC SyMaxII

Going from what you think fits/feels/looks good to what really fits right is tough. Many get caught up in the features of a particular brand and then try to fit their square peg into a modified round hole. PLEASE don't modify a helmet to relieve pressure points, buy a correct fitting helmet.

A cheaper helmet that fits correctly is better than an expensive one that doesn't.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Oval.... Thank god for Arai!!!

Profile.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Long oval here. Arai Profile. Actually went down a size when I found a helmet that fit correctly. Pressure point on the forehead was a problem after a few hours of riding.

It's snug, but it's as comfortable as I've ever been with a helmet. Had to get 'fitted' by some helmet manufacturers. Went to a motorcycle show, talked to the reps, found out my head size and shape, then shopped for the 'RIGHT' helmet for my head. I thought $500 was expensive for a helmet for about 3 hours of riding. Then I realized how much my comfort was worth. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Long oval here. Arai Profile. Actually went down a size when I found a helmet that fit correctly. Pressure point on the forehead was a problem after a few hours of riding.

It's snug, but it's as comfortable as I've ever been with a helmet. Had to get 'fitted' by some helmet manufacturers. Went to a motorcycle show, talked to the reps, found out my head size and shape, then shopped for the 'RIGHT' helmet for my head. I thought $500 was expensive for a helmet for about 3 hours of riding. Then I realized how much my comfort was worth. Would do it again in a heartbeat.
Exactly my experience. While at a motorcycle show I talked to the Arai rep. He said the Arai Quantum I was wearing was likely the wrong shape, and had me try a Profile. I went down a size when I did, even though that size in a Quantum would have been really painful. Better fit at a smaller size is no doubt a major safety advantage, as well as being more comfortable.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have an oval head and find HJC and Arai are the only 2 brands that are really comfortable...paul

·
Registered
32 Posts
Long oval shaped helmet

The Icon Alliance is another oval shaped helmet, don't ask how many helmets I have tried on trying to find one that fits.

Oval - Arai Profile - KBC Retro - Airoh Mathisse Air - HJC SyMaxII

Going from what you think fits/feels/looks good to what really fits right is tough. Many get caught up in the features of a particular brand and then try to fit their square peg into a modified round hole. PLEASE don't modify a helmet to relieve pressure points, buy a correct fitting helmet.

A cheaper helmet that fits correctly is better than an expensive one that doesn't.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A lot of riders with oval heads are saying that Arai is a great fit for an oval head, however, I dont think they make a flipup (modular helmet). o wish they did, I would buy two tomorrow! Here is a pretty good list of helmet reviews that are catagorized by helmet SHAPE! Pretty interesting to see what helmets fit round and oval heads. They also do a pretty good job of reviewing each helmet.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-shapes.htm

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wish there was a huge motorcycle apparel store near here (Atlanta) that had stock on all types of helmets for you to try on and purchase. I guess the internet has made such a store unprofitable. It is real frustrating finding a helmet that fits correctly through the internet (I have sent back two helmets). Honda dealers just dont carry many helmets. I betcha a lot of people just settle for something that feels good and looks good, instead of something that will protect them.

Reactions: JW.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
The big problem is that each manufacturer only has a couple shell sizes and changes the fit with different size pads. Arai has somewhere around 20-30 different combinations for each shell size. Who can afford to buy all those pads to get the perfect fit, especially when most dealers don't stock all of the different pads and wouldn't let you try each one for 20-30 minutes even if they did.

I have one thread subscribed (to lazy to look now) that someone mentioned a place in PA that takes their time with you trying all the different pads to get the correct fit. Can't wait to go there when I have the cash.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Try the Scorpion transformer helmet. I used to wear Shoei, but their new helmets dont work anymore. THe Scorpion is comfortable

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here this is just as meaningful and informative

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3prKqR4cHNU
Isnt amazing how sissified most of our young males have gotten nowadays. I would have never, ever been concerned with the way my hair or hat looked to such extent when I was a teenager! Now most of the boys wear product in their hair, makeup on their skin, body spray on their bodies and have their nails done on regular basis. Ive actually talked to some teenage boys about the only reason they dont like to ride motorcycles is because the helmet musses their hairdo.

The good news: Im really amazed at the way our military can apparently get these feminine tracts out of our young men. They are to be commended for a job well done.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
A lot of riders with oval heads are saying that Arai is a great fit for an oval head, however, I dont think they make a flipup (modular helmet). o wish they did, I would buy two tomorrow! Here is a pretty good list of helmet reviews that are catagorized by helmet SHAPE! Pretty interesting to see what helmets fit round and oval heads. They also do a pretty good job of reviewing each helmet.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-shapes.htm
I wanted a modular as well, but couldn't find one that would fit my head. I wanted to be able to flip up the helmet to take a drink, but decided the fit was more important, and I could find another way to be able to take a drink from the butler cup while riding. If you find a modular helmet that fits like the Arai Profile I'm all ears.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts